User Tag List

Thread: [Model] Some robot thing I named 'Melissa Roux'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Model] Some robot thing I named 'Melissa Roux'

So I've been working on a robot model for a totally unrelated thing, but i figure I was gonna make it PBR compatible, so why not put it here too. It's out of 'style' with UT but honestly what IS in this series aesthetic?
    It's an almost-scrapped concept for a robot martial artist from 2 years ago. This thing's meant to be a customizable avatar for a real ****ty virtual world thing called 'Second Life' where I make money off being a better modeller than 90% of the userbase. As such, it can be expected that this model will have it's own set of customization options, such as chest armors, helmets, limbs, texture sets, and many other possible things as I go along.

Below, you can see the reference drafts (including commissioned art done by the wonderful Level5Pencil) current progress, as well as some screenshots from the finalized head model in SL, which is non-PBR. The body mesh is a good ways into finished, with only the arms being left for the high-poly mesh. The head mesh is done entirely, but I'll have to remake the textures for it once the rest of the mesh is done. The eyes are set up as a texture that is moved around based on script control, so I'll probably have to redo the eyes as well. that will be a little more complicated though.
    I had been holding off posting to finish the feet, which actually took alot longer than I thought it would have. BUT, they have fantastic range of motion, so I'm very happy!
    1c970c30d89bf4010f74780f7014bc99.png71a106b377a34df0803421276721f1e2.png
    64a782b82a06184cfc76a5ea49b93768.png

TODO:
    -Arms
    -finalize leg joints
    -finalize minor mechanical bits
    -lowpoly, bakes, all that stuff
    -add small details either via sculpting or during texturing phase
    -customization options. some are already done, mostly helmets/hair/head accessories.
    -maybe an underneath mechanical frame for those that want hardcore mechanical stuff? I know It's possible, it's more whether I WANT to or not.

This sure will be a fun portfolio piece, at the very least!
    And as always, PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/CRITIQUE/HATEMAIL IF THAT'S YOUR THING!

(sorry this isn't my xan concept or that other thing, I've had more to do in life so that's on the backburner.)

Fhj2mak.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gebloner; 09-21-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting! Those cat ears, whilst gosh darn adorable don't really fit in that well, I reckon. The hips and bust might be a little oversized, the two giant screws on the back seem out of place and lastly, the "hair" concept that you're going for makes her seem a little "cuter" than what you'd expect for an arena combatant?

I'd personally prefer having the type of robot that has servos and underlying hydraulics exposed and then having armour plates imposed over it in key places, but, the "suit of armour" idea works equally as well, honestly.

Concept seems fine overall. I'm sure some of the cutesyness could be salvaged for some kind of cosmetic?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good , this project has a future . The robot needs more realistic testuras , a metallic material that appears to be resistant . And some parts of the project need to be more detailed to resemble a real drone security .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god fury spotted. Had to :P

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HoBoxX7Xx View Post
    Oh god fury spotted. Had to :P
    Oh god, captain obvious spotted ...couldn't resist.
    .......................................................coffee addicted !!!
    UT99.org + Food Fight Mod + Corporation Logos for UT4

Unreal Tournament Contributor

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am in favour of this model. I love the big hips and curves! We need more artistic variety, damn it! If you finish this and put it on the marketplace, I could totally buy it. ESPECIALLY if it had a pink coloured skin included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...oh, I had forgotten there were cat ears on the commissioned art pieces. I can assure you I wasn't planning on adding those to this, atleast not as part of the base model. I mean, the cat ears ARE finished, but they'll be optional.

While i'm at it, lemme show some of the things I've already made as optional stuff.

The 'bobcut' hairpiece is not entirely done, however the helmet has already gone through the full process of low poly and bakes (I'm just showing the high poly here though)
    also yes, I was specifically requested to have an optional flat chestplate. It looks pretty good, I think!
    As for different color skins, that's probably the EASIEST thing to do, and I'm not at all against including my PSD files for the textures for anybody that wanted to play with them. I already do that for SL modders, I don't see a reason not to do it for UT too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    I am in favour of this model. I love the big hips and curves! We need more artistic variety, damn it! If you finish this and put it on the marketplace, I could totally buy it. ESPECIALLY if it had a pink coloured skin included.
    What? Do you have a problem with bald, skinny, dead women?? How dare you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, I haven't done more work in a bit because I took a break to do commission stuff. I'll be back to work once I have it out of the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's a bit too anime looking for my personal tastes, but that aside that, the actual work going into this is cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of a side thing that probably won't go into this project, as it's largely just meant for the SL side. It's been a small bit of practice for the texture side once I get back to work on the main body though, so it's useful in that regard atleast. I finally got around to testing out NDO2 for adding normal map detailing, and I gotta say it's a heck of a lot nicer to do this than trying to model in every line to the mesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to work on this now that holiday idiocy and other obligations are out of the way. getting the arms done now, then i'll go back over the legs and do general cleanup.

Last edited by Gebloner; 12-24-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too cool! Never understood a robot with breasts, but...yeah!

Unreal Tournament Prototyper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Too cool! Never understood a robot with breasts, but...yeah!
    Pervs, pervs everywhere
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raste View Post
    Pervs, pervs everywhere
    Hey man robots are hot. You folks should meet my friends and see my sketches/paintings!

Chrimuh Card-front.jpg

Isn't it great? It's the christmas card I made for this year!
    Last edited by Gebloner; 12-24-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're marrying them in Japan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think they've reached that point, but don't quote me on that!
    Anyways!

I'm having trouble figuring out what to do about the elbow joints for the arms. while the joint works and is fine in that regard, the back of the elbow is... well, I think I should just show.

Honestly it just doesn't look very good. I'm trying to think of some sort of way to make the back of the joint look better but i'm a bit stumped at the moment. anyone here got any sort of ideas on what I could do to make it look less weird?
    Last edited by Gebloner; 12-26-2016 at 04:49 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Covered joint.
    Arm01.png

Double joint system with hydraulics.
    Arm02.png

Big round joint.
    Arm03.png

I prefer the double joint system because It will give it a more flexible movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd initially intended to do a double joint, but it was proving rather annoying to work with it. This current setup allows for 150 degrees of motion on the joint, which is pretty good all things considered.
    Anyway, I ended up coming up with something similiar to your first one. I'll be adding a elbow plate at some point, but I'll have to do it after work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so I've got the arms and hands pretty much ready. I don't think i'll need to do much else to them at this rate, but the legs need a major once-over to finish them. the joints for the hips and knees are just not done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All work on the high poly mesh has been completed after even more delays. (and redesigning the joints from scratch, retooling to make all joints physically viable to the most extreme of human range, adding jet boosters to facilitate ROCKET KICKS at behest of a friend, etc)
    Now the parts I'm significantly more confident in can take place, the low poly, UV, and baking. There will probably not be any serious hitches in any of those steps as I've made careful consideration of polygon angle and making surfaces that flow nicely, so this should for the most part go quite smoothly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greebles for inside of torso, incase anyone just feels like removing the frontplate altogether. I should also not that the plan also is for her to have many different armors, so this is part of planning ahead for that.

(I swore I was gonna get to the low poly and here I am still adding details. :[ )
    Last edited by Gebloner; 01-26-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad there are still people here submitting things that aren't just people covered in greebles.

Also glad to see a female model that doesn't look like my nextdoor neighbor.

Not sure why UT is still so lacking Japanese styled things considering the Izanagi corporation is a thing.
    also known as Humphro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diode View Post
    I'm glad there are still people here submitting things that aren't just people covered in greebles.

Also glad to see a female model that doesn't look like my nextdoor neighbor.

Not sure why UT is still so lacking Japanese styled things considering the Izanagi corporation is a thing.
    I have some incredibly strong opinions about that exact thing, but I feel it's best I hold my tongue.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on this recently. I've been working on a much bigger paid project at the moment which is starting to really take shape.
    Here's the most recent shot I've taken with the near-finished assets. maybe you guys will like it:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching the whole modelling process... only one concern arose.

How is she suppose to hold a weapon?
    The elbows are very stiff and her whole body is made of plates.
    She can't reach with her left arm her right hip. Or can touch her "nose" without getting in a awkward arm pose.

Edit-----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Gebloner View Post
    Here's the most recent shot I've taken with the near-finished assets. maybe you guys will like it:
    Your asset looks very Megaman like ...very cool.
    Last edited by papercoffee; 02-23-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually did a bunch of tests on the physical joint limitations, and she can do quite alot with the arms overall. I think I got the motion range up to around 160-165 degrees by the time I was done? all I know is I checked it all out by making sure she could touch the top of her shoulder and figured that would be good.
    I will admit though, I got a bit lazy on the shoulders. I was planning them around acting like a regular shoulder and just morphing the shoulder joint the same as a human model. If I had REALLY wanted to, I could probably separate out the shoulder sections and have them be a full working joint as well, but it wasn't exactly a huge priority for me. I only went as crazy on the other joints because I hit tunnel vision and just REALLY wanted to try and make them work. (that and a single joint rigs alot better than a double joint for videogame stuff anyway.)

...all that ended up being a godsend, as someone approached me about making it a 3D printable action figure. We'll see what happens with that though.

Truth be told, all i really have left to do on this is make the low poly, bake, and then probably make minor adjustments for rigging. (Though I dunno if UE4 supports joint offsets for animations as flawlessly as the other engine I've been working in these days)