Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DM-Hollow

Current build: WIP05 (01/06/2017)
    <<<Download>>> (309MB)

MapRotation=/Game/Content/DM-Hollow/DM-Hollow_WIP05
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Hollow_WIP05-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="redirect.mpforums.com/ut4/users/HyperArmor9d79/DM-Hollow_WIP05-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="27b9ac5577d542a68d0a602f141ff0d3")

“I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).”

To add on the epicness of Unreal Tournament, I decided to make a map taking place inside a giant world tree! It is still WIP and there are a lot more things I want to add. Feedback and comments are greatly appreciated!

The layout is fairly simple, which consists of the tree, a courtyard, and a sniper tower. The inside of the tree has more vertical gameplay with slower paced combat, and more powerups to find. The outside courtyard is flatter with faster paced combat. Basically the flow is going in and out of the tree, and the sniper tower is just an alternate path to break it up. I made the two areas visually distinct, with the inside dark and warm and the outside bright and cool. Most of the action is at the base of the tree, because the middle is inaccessible. There are two teleporters to the top of the temple, which has a leap-of-faith to get berserk and drop back down to the courtyard.

I want to thank ConradJustin for providing the amazing architectural assets for the map! I also used a lot of unreal marketplace stuff alongside the UT assets.
    Here is a list of credits:
    • ConradJustin - Modular architecture assets (buildings)
    • PurePolygons - Procedural Nature Pack Vol.1 (tree roots & landscape)
    • SilverTM - Nature Package (small trees & plants)
    • Eudes - Wasteland Rocks Pack (rocks & cliffs)
    • Everett Gunther - Ultra Dynamic Sky (skybox)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hanway Lin; 01-06-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow, man! I am looking forward to seeing this project! Sounds very promising and you got some crazy concept art to work with! Seems like a huge project and plenty ofwork to be done, especially modelling-wise. You see: I happen to make similar themed map at the moment and what do you think about cooporating? I'm not sure but I think it would be quite extraordinary to join forces on unique projects like this.

I was thinking: We could generate a base of models, such as natural tree roots formations, modular architecture and ruins assets based on the concept art inspired by Angkor Wat.... That base of assets could be used in both our projects... Even if thats just a single tree or details such as foliage or debris. hmm?

After all: We all are learning here, right? Why not do this together?

PS. I like the "verticality" thing in maps. It adds to the depth of perception... +1
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 10-10-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks amazing, when you upload a pak I will happily put it on unrealpugs servers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very like this concept! I'd suggest to add some Nali designs to stick with the Unreal universe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJustin View Post
    Holy cow, man! I am looking forward to seeing this project! Sounds very promising and you got some crazy concept art to work with! Seems like a huge project and plenty ofwork to be done, especially modelling-wise. You see: I happen to make similar themed map at the moment and what do you think about cooporating? I'm not sure but I think it would be quite extraordinary to join forces on unique projects like this.

I was thinking: We could generate a base of models, such as natural tree roots formations, modular architecture and ruins assets based on the concept art inspired by Angkor Wat.... That base of assets could be used in both our projects... Even if thats just a single tree or details such as foliage or debris. hmm?

After all: We all are learning here, right? Why not do this together?

PS. I like the "verticality" thing in maps. It adds to the depth of perception... +1
    That sounds like a great idea! I'm not much of a 3d modeler so I was going to use mostly UT assets, but if you're willing to let me use some of your assets for CTF-Clouds that would be epic! Let's make a kick-ass map together!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty neat concept you've posted here Hanway Lin! Hope to be able to play it some day! Keep it Up!
    If it doesn't run like on a LAN, it's not LoPing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okey! Whats your workflow, did you start brushing the map? We could start from having some bsp or models stack on top of each other (I am not a huge fan of the bsp in UE4). If you have some sort of composition you could send it as a screenshot or .obj if you know how. I could prepare drawings and concept and try to create models that would work for both maps.

Do you have the layout worked out?

So:
    1. You make the simple geometry
    2. Take screenshots of some perspectives on your map or stack up parts of your map and export them as .obj
    3. I begin working on those - I would prefer the basic models so I can have the idea of a scale but screenshots are fine too.
    4. Do you have textures? Its going to be easier if you choose a few textures that would be the base of your map.

Unless you want me to help you with the layout? But I think its better that you do it and I focus on modeling part, okey?
    Why did I say I want to cooporate:

1.New experience (I was cooporating long time ago on a map with somoene and it didn't work out very well - I hope this time it will be better!)
    2.Better quality of assets. You think of the shape and idea and I will make them happen.
    3.I have seen your map SkyEngine. I liked it! And you make really similar theme to what I make now

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is preview of how I could contribute here. I could perhaps try making two different ones. I can also do the mountain model, but I need concept art from you first. And possible shapes veriations... This sample is small set of roots however it could also be used for a bigger tree model. I must say your concept fascinates me.

Also how do you intend on making the large tree model? It could be a single piece.... and it would use vertex painting perhaps for texture variation? I suggest you send me some geometry of it and I will try to roughly model it and try to figure out best workflow... I think its good to start from details however in the end you need great layout.

I think: As soon as you get the layout done and are happy with result we could play-test the map together...
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 10-18-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ConradJustin, that tree root is looking dope! I'm blocking out the map right now, which should be done in a day or so. I'm also building the large tree using splines for better layout control. I don't have much experience in concept art but maybe we can find someone who can give us a hand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the holdup, been super busy with work lately. Here is a playable build and some WIP shots. Feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Got some hidden powerups in the map that are a bit tricky to reach, but all possible to get without rocket jumping. Also the top of the tower has a little surprise.

Last edited by Hanway Lin; 11-25-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Unreal Tournament Prototyper
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool level! I've added it to the MPF servers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Niceness here Hanway Lin & BiGUp for sharing your works! Keep it Up!

So first off - What a refreshingly cool map! Not much to comment on at this stage of release for except maybe the top.

This has to be the highest drop off I've come across so far. Pretty cool if you ask me. I just wish there was either a teleport or a serious boosted jump pad somewhere down there
    which adds another way up here.

This height makes the sniper/shock rifle the only two weapons effective at such a challenging distance.

Overall enjoyment to be had with the complexity of your works. Keep it Up!!
    Last edited by DutchSmoke; 10-28-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: tested

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job so far! I messaged you with some stuff if you are interested in cooperation! Whatever you decide: Good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this looks rather sick, good job, how did you start blocking out the tree mesh? i *guess* you made the BSP buildings first and then somekind of placeholder bsp converted to static mesh, wich you then import in 3ds/maya to get the scale?
    keep at it! looks promising
    BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
    DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the support everyone! I got another update (WIP02) read to go. Made the outside courtyard a bit larger. Also changed the inside lighting to make it more realistic while guiding players to important spots.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSmoke View Post
    This has to be the highest drop off I've come across so far. Pretty cool if you ask me. I just wish there was either a teleport or a serious boosted jump pad somewhere down there
    which adds another way up here.
    Appreciate the feedback DutchSmoke! I added a teleport on top of the sniper tower that's reachable by rocket jump. So now to get berserk players have two options, either less health but faster traverse with rocket jump, or safer but slower traverse on foot.
    I also attached berserk to a chain hanging from above so you need to jump off the catwalk to reach it. That should help make the top more of a quick powerup area so players won't stay and shoot from up there.

Quote Originally Posted by irridium77 View Post
    this looks rather sick, good job, how did you start blocking out the tree mesh? i *guess* you made the BSP buildings first and then somekind of placeholder bsp converted to static mesh, wich you then import in 3ds/maya to get the scale?
    keep at it! looks promising
    Thanks irridium77! The blockout of the tree was done using spline meshes to give me more control of the layout. Once the layout is done I'm going to do some tests to see if replacing them with static meshes will increase performance.

Here are some shots of lighting changes:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Highly appreciated kind sir.

Nice improvements made so far!

• Nice overhaul on the top, cool leap of faith for the bezerker.
    • Good to see the lighting addition across the map!

I did notice a few things with the bot navigation that wasn't as bad as before, I know this could be current build related but I think it needs mentioning nonetheless;

The bots keep jumping for joy here.

Bots have difficulty navigating the grass.

I like the rocket jump ability to get to the teleporter but was thinking maybe bulging out the roots here just enough to make a well placed root jump to the lower ledge could prove
    to be interesting as well.

I hope this helps and Keep it Up!
    Last edited by DutchSmoke; 11-02-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Hanway Lin; please recook. Thanks.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardboegli View Post
    @Hanway Lin; please recook. Thanks.
    Thanks for letting me know richardboegli! I've been so busy with work lately I didn't notice the build was bugged. So sorry! I recooked, tested, and re-uploaded.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSmoke View Post
    I like the rocket jump ability to get to the teleporter but was thinking maybe bulging out the roots here just enough to make a well placed root jump to the lower ledge could prove
    to be interesting as well.
    Good thinking DutchSmoke! I added a small platform that can either rocket jump or root jump across to the teleporter, with the later being harder to execute. Also fixed those nasty navigation bugs.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Map has its good points and slightly less good ones. Overall its creative and I like where it goes. There are things I feel like I had to address asap cause they might break flow and game-play of the map.

First before you read the images I posted, I want to say that verticality and not limiting players are good concepts but you might have slightly gone too far. So far I don't get that much indication where I can go and where I can't. The map is so opened and large in height then players most likely won't take their time to climb all the way up during the intense combat. I see no other option then
    A. Limiting the top
    B. Adding much better way of fast vertical transportation upwards. (such as jumppads along the ramps, lifts and teleporters)

Don't rush it. To make it perfect you need to rethink very basics of its design. If in the end the tree idea somehow doesn't work (but I think you can make it work) then you could make main accessable tree lower and place additional , unaccessable trees around that serve as the beautifull background/skybox landscape.

Keep up the good work!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ConradJustin, I was wondering how you got the translocator, since it seemed like you were able to use it to reach unintended locations and even go about paths in the opposite direction. One of my major concerns early on was finding ways to prevent players from doing that. I really want to keep the leap of faith path but it comes with so many ways where players can drop down to any part of the tree, places that serve no gameplay purpose. However, instead of removing it, I want to try my best to solve it.

This is the curent path to the leap of faith. It takes twice as long as the teleporter at 14 seconds traverse time. I added more powerups along the way to encourage this path more than the teleporter. You may be out of the action for awhile and fall behind on kills, but you get to come back fully stacked in berserk mode.

This is the path to UDamage, I'm still working at preventing players from going up there without using this path.

I added some rocks and fence here to block off the cliff.

I also made this root serve a purpose, you can use it to drop down and get the armor.
    Last edited by Hanway Lin; 11-26-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a change to the leap of faith that I'm testing right now. I replaced the jump boots with a teleporter to cut down traverse time. Then I raised the walls and put an overhead blocking volume at the top so players can't jump out. Lastly is just making sure players can't drop down into various parts of the tree with more blocking volumes.

Last edited by Hanway Lin; 11-26-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    nice progress! Also an idea with regards to roots climb, if possible to mark the path with abit more obvious moss or bark just to give an indication of paths. Keep it Up!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moss could be not good enough - something white... You could use the bird's goo for that purpose. Assassin's Crees did that very efficiently. Also: Good progress! Map starts looking cool! (not that it didn't before )

I am still a bit worried about the width of those branches... and complexity of them. At least some of them should be wider, Lin! Remember: The trap all designers fall into is that they know every possible route in their maps and they mastered the movement. They know where they can go and where they can't as well as what is the most efficient way to achieve goals on their maps. Players don't know all that. Its your job to communicate that with them - branches give a sense of direction as they spin - good job! But there has to be more. That route you are presenting still seems quite complex for outsiders. The best indicator is always the light.

PS. it wasn't a joke with that goo!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions! I looked up the bird poop in Assassin's Creed, and never knew it was used to indicate leap-of-faith spots lol. I'm going to test out several solutions while adjusting the size and angle of the tree roots. Also to address one of ConradJustin's screenshots, I made a wall around UDamage so players who manage to reach it from the front will turn around. Players coming from the root-jump path will come out above the wall so they can drop down.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was thief.... But assasin's creed and Far Cry and a few other games had it as well.

On this one it indicates the climb.

Btw: Regarding screenshot you posted, Lin: I know lighting isn't built there but that purple light might not be the best idea (I mean the color and its over-saturation) Actually the Thief screenshot is a good example of properly done colored lighting. Just a hint of blue in that night sky.... Unless you will have a model that explains that strange purple like a radioactive mushrooms that grow on the tree

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the screenshot. As for the purple light, I'm planning to switch it on and off according to when the UDamage spawns, to make it more noticeable for players down below. It just wasn't in the screenshot cus I took it in game view lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then this is an excelent idea, Lin! This will certainly attract players attention... I think I might be using this trick on my maps in the future!

Here is some sketches drawn based on your screenshot regarding this area, nothing fancy, very quick ones, just to indicate possibilities...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the sketches ConradJustin! I made the UDamage area more like what you got going there. Also the first art pass is here! I hope I did your amazing assets justice!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is coming along very nicely!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice job indeed! It looks my new mouse will come in handy after all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just played (tried anyway) this pak. Am I to guess that the link in the OP is the early pass? I had almost no textures and it was very jumpy and laggy for me. Curiously, as I kept falling off the sniper tower, I respawned in the same spot every time. I'll try again when there's an update to see if it runs better for me. I know, I know, I'm on a Mac, but it's a MacPro with dual FirePro D700 at 6 GB each. Should be able to handle a heavy map. This is quite a large file size though, that could explain it.

The look and concept is top notch though. Keep it up!

Edit: Well, as I scrolled back to the top, I see this was updated today so that throws out the theory of an old pak. I guess it's too much for my Mac. I'll try again tonight when I can bootcamp into Windows and see.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the kind words! I don't have a mac but I'm trying to find the issue. Using windows with nvidia 970 here, and I tried all the graphics settings but they all have the textures intact. Also tried running off the sniper tower at various spots but I always spawn at another spawn position. 390mb is quite big and I'll find ways to reduce it for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I'm on an old Mac booted into Windows 7 Pro, but using a Mac-based Radeon 5770 1 GB so the Windows drivers don't fully support my card, but it runs just fine. Now your map showed up in all its glory, fully textured! Pretty amazing and creative. Reminds me of the tree of life at Disney, except with huge guns. Didn't seem to lag or glitch either. Gotta be careful running up those limbs. I fell off more than once. I also spawned at random locations.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pics in the OP are looking absolutely fabulous!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing job, Lin! Let us know when you release full pak!

Unreal Tournament Contributor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJustin View Post
    Amazing job, Lin! Let us know when you release full pak!
    The download link is updated though, that version is the same as shown in the screenshots in the OP I think (from what I tried).

Map is coming along super nicely, both in terms of visuals and in terms of gameplay

It also flows quite well, with some interesting movement options, will try to provide more detailed feedback later.
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried the latest version for a bit. Wow, what a beautiful map! I was expecting something fairly snaggly movement-wise but was pleasantly surprised that it was fairly easy to move around. One thing that immediately caught my eye is that both visually and gameplay-wise the bridge to the belt seems too long. I would say shortening the length of that by about 25% would look and play better. Also, bravo on the performance! I was getting really high frame rate nearly everywhere which is quite an achievement given the visual quality at this stage. Keep up the great work!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing work! Love how it looks and the flow of the map! Congrats!
    Win 10
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will host this masterpiece on the PlayUnreal XLR8 NL Server soon. Really brilliant one here.
    3D Artist, Mapper, Modder
    XLR8 Mod for UT4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice stuff. Assets from Conrad Justin and other stuff really helped!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast