User Tag List

Thread: Ripper Model (wip)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ripper Model (wip)

Here's my ripper model that I've been working on in Blender. Be sure to give me feedback on it so I could iimprove it. The harpoon looking thing on the end of the barrel is the blade for possible melee combat.

I made a ripper disc projectile model as well, but I won't be spoiling that for you until it looks better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a nice start for the definition of the silhouette. I also think you should add meshes in a single object (Shift+A in Edit Mode) and use the SubSurface modifier.
    Last edited by rapfamily4; 03-08-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rapfamily4 View Post
    I think this is a nice start for the definition of the silhouette. I also think you should add meshes in a single object (Shift+A in Edit Mode) and use the SubSurface modifier.
    Thanks for the help dude. I'll be sure to do so.

Apologies, but subdivision surface messes with the model to where it looks disconnected from everything, and to where it's not as sharp as it needs to be.
    Last edited by Waverun; 03-08-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated Ripper Model. Figured out a few new things in this one. Once more, give me necessary feedback so I can improve.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use Creases while SubSurface is active to get the sharp edges you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Creases? What do you mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I think I know what you mean now. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster128 View Post
    Keep it up!
    Thanks dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not entirely sure what I can do to edit this. Could someone please give me some feedback on this and how to edit it properly with Blender? Thanks.
    Last edited by Waverun; 03-11-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New ripper model, scaled down to actually fit the weapon models in-game. By the way, any of you Blender geeks out there, please give me feedback on this to see how I could improve it. Tell me what I should add to it. As long as it fits a form of "revamped UT99" look to it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define the grip a bit more, and other aspects of the gun. If this model is a massing model, you want to get as much detail in as you can before moving onto high poly and low poly. Are you going by a sketch or anything? That'd be handy to see.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define the grip a bit more, and other aspects of the gun. If this model is a massing model, you want to get as much detail in as you can before moving onto high poly and low poly. Are you going by a sketch or anything? That'd be handy to see.
    Waverun posted his sketches in your thread. https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...l=1#post269483
    .......................................................coffee addicted !!!
    UT99.org + Food Fight Mod + Corporation Logos for UT4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fixed/defined the grip like you suggested I do. I also added a laser pointer to the right side of the gun to make it able to guide the blades. And I added detail to the gun. As well as added a section to the gun that can hold the blades/discs inside of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still no feedback on this yet? Wow, guess it's finished.

(If not, tell me what I should improve for it.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, got some fixed versions of my Ripper model just in case anyone didn't like the version that I made. Tell me how I should improve these and I think I'll be able to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure this thread is dead by now. But regardless, I'm still going to be posting stuff. And once again, make sure to give me feedback on this next Ripper Model (even though this thread is probably dead)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new position of the clip. But I think you should use modifiers as soon as possible. MultiRes and Mirror are really useful in these situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new position of the clip. But I think you should use modifiers as soon as possible. MultiRes and Mirror are really useful in these situations.
    Finally, thank you, someone gave me some feedback. I'll get to work right away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to subdivide the stuff, but it only made it look worse. Looked ruberry and non, metal, like the gun should REALLY be. Anyway, here's some more Rist-Person WIP of it. Ignore the circle above the gun, you won't be able to see it anyway once everything's finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another updated WIP model of the Ripper. Hope you all enjoy the progress I'm making. And I hope you all give me some feedback on this. I have used modifiers on some of these parts.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't use dark colours in the blocking stage or else we see only the silhouette.

The blades or horns are in the way of the razor-disk.
    Try to go more for a sleek design ...especially since you try to imitate the UT99 model.
    Because of imitating ...I'm not so thrilled about the design direction. I would suggest a more unique approach.

Think about something new but with the DNA of the original weapon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papercoffee View Post
    You shouldn't use dark colours in the blocking stage or else we see only the silhouette.

The blades or horns are in the way of the razor-disk.
    Try to go more for a sleek design ...especially since you try to imitate the UT99 model.
    Because of imitating ...I'm not so thrilled about the design direction. I would suggest a more unique approach.

Think about something new but with the DNA of the original weapon.
    Alrighty then.

Unreal Tournament Prototyper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually the best view you can offer in concept threads like this one is a light grey material, rendered with a gouraud shading with wireframe superimposed. It allows to see the model in a human-friendly way and it gives an information on the geometric topology. The later is good for people to give you advice on your modeling technique.

Here is an example of mine:
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...id=16975&stc=1
    (using a link to the image to avoid high-jacking the thread)
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is THIS what you meant by "sleek" ? BOOM!

AND a first-person model as well. And... behold: Modifiers!

Seriously though everyone, thank you for the support, or at least the feedback. So many of you guys want a Ripper implemented in the game. And you know what, I'll give it to you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More updates. This time it doesn't have a first-person model. So as to show the new stuff I added to it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad... But what I also meant was "Think about something new but with the DNA of the original weapon".
    Think outside the box.

Here this is what I'd come up after seeing your last alteration.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    One strong blade at the front, sleeker, more alien... It's a derivation of a Skaarj weapon let them take it back and modify it even further.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've made some good progress! I actually agree with paper coffee in that you should explore the design some more and I really like his sketch.

You still need to work on the fundamentals of what makes a good 3d model but that comes with time and studying. Look into subdivision modelling which is a broad subject but its the bread and butter of this art form. Once you start grasping the basics your gonna be able to identify problem areas on your own and design much more quickly.

You can always field questions with me and I'll try to explain things or at least point you in the right direction.
    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad... But what I also meant was "Think about something new but with the DNA of the original weapon".
    Think outside the box.

Here this is what I'd come up after seeing your last alteration.
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    One strong blade at the front, sleeker, more alien... It's a derivation of a Skaarj weapon let them take it back and modify it even further.
    WICKED concept. If you made that yourself (which I'm really hoping you did) , It looks amazing. So amazing in fact, that...

BAM!

I got to work on it right away.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to identfy the depth of certain parts from papercoffee's concept. Extrusions are necessary!

Plus, try to use only quads in your topology. You can also use triangles, but only if necessary, while you cannot use n-gons since they make a mess with the modifiers and the game engines don't recognise them well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to identfy the depth of certain parts from papercoffee's concept. Extrusions are necessary!

Plus, try to use only quads in your topology. You can also use triangles, but only if necessary, while you cannot use n-gons since they make a mess with the modifiers and the game engines don't recognise them well.
    Okay. I'll try.