User Tag List

Thread: Implementing warm-up into gamemode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Implementing warm-up into gamemode

Hello, is there any way to implement the warm-up mode with fix time into a mod? With a mutator or something? I want my game mode to have a fix warmup of 2 minutes with ready-up feature.

I know you can set those ready settings to true for server-sided warmup, but i don't see any way or tutorial to add it to a Mod. Thx for answering

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all up to you how such warm-up behaves and I it is implemented. Extending upon the existing warm-up with only Blueprint is likely not going to work well.

In a generic way, you can disable scoring or specific map elements on start of a match. Create a timer, draw such on each player's HUD and reset the game/match after the timer expires. Additionally to whatever your warm-up should have such as infinite ammo, all weapons, no self-damage and all that stuff.

What is your progress so far?
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok that sounds easy, i can do that.

I got the scoring, passing, ballgun with some voice announcment.

Current issues:
    1. game breaks on starting it on Dedicated(Client) Server Game - i think the ball and gun have to be linked to server somehow - so far it's only in the game mode itself.
    2. warm up implementing
    3. when starting game, a weird timer appears like a warm up on 15 minutes counting down. After scoring once, the game starts normal on 0 Minutes counting up - i think it has something to do with UT Team Game Mode

Besides that, i'm studying and got not a lot time to work on it right now. Actually it's not my job or task to do it, but i wanna see Bombing Run in the new UT and i know which core elements i need for this.
    If i get a good semester break, i get it done to a first version

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prototyping modes for the current UT is a hassle. Not only because either system you are using (C++ or Blueprint) it's really suited for modding (one is limited by design the other removed due to security concers, rightls so tbh), it's gets tricky working on stuff and with engine and game updates, your implementations can break.

I haven'r checked if and how the warm up is implemented for CTF, but it could be a good source to check how Epic is doing it's warm up implementation. Most likely you can get something simlar working in Blueprint.
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Unreal Tournament Prototyper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    Extending upon the existing warm-up with only Blueprint is likely not going to work well.
    It is possible, at least in a basic shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Polge
    Warm up can occur any time in state MatchState::WaitingToStart. You can tell if a specific player is warming up by the UTPlayerState property bIsWarmingUp. Warmup ends when the game leaves the WaitingToStart state.

Thanks
    --

Trying to re-invent the wheel to come up with a custom WarmUp is going to be a real hassle, than just attempting to extend the already existing mechanic, so it can be compatible with your current GameMode implementation.
    Since you're making a GameMode which requires it's own scoring system and special actors/rules, evaluating the MatchState and adding a few semaphores to detect the WarmUp shouldn't pose a problem for you.

There's one more reason to consider the official implementation over a custom solution too, and that is: "the end-users"
    You absolutely cannot assume that every user or server-admin will follow your configuration guidelines. (either because they did not read the instructions, or there's something else which does not allow them to comply)
    Worst case scenario, you might end up with 2 WarmUp sequences (the official one, and your custom one). It's better to support the official WarmUp, but leave it up to the end-user/server-admin whether they want it or not (via the server configuration).

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostbyteGR View Post
    It is possible, at least in a basic shape.
    That's what I said. Specifically with the word "well" . The OP wasn't stating what kind of warm-up it should be, therefore the undetermined answer was given.

Just think about a game type like Fortnite where a "warm-up" could be a safe-time where a player can build up its base, place turrets, etc.. The way Epic handles warm-up, ready or auto-fill bots can interfere with the "build-up/warm-up" time. Assault (or maps with Levelution kind of setup) is also a bit trickier than Epic allows with their implementation.

Game types are not yet fully polished to feature something out of the standard behavior of a UT gametype. Since n0niz mentioned Bombing Run in his 2nd pot, it is of course a good start to use the existing warm-up mechanic for that mod. But I wouldn't depend on it due to warm-up being heavily critized lately.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostbyteGR View Post
    Worst case scenario, you might end up with 2 WarmUp sequences (the official one, and your custom one). It's better to support the official WarmUp, but leave it up to the end-user/server-admin whether they want it or not (via the server configuration).
    There are ways to disable the warm-up all together and use your custom warm-up state solely.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you are looking for is in UTGameMode.cpp
    Code:
    AUTGameMode::AUTGameMode(const class FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer)
    	: Super(ObjectInitializer)

/* Need this number of players to start match. */
    	MinPlayersToStart = 2;

/* Number of seconds to wait in warmup before starting match if there is not enough players. */
    	MaxWaitForPlayers = 480;
    Override those values or add the following to your games URL
    Code:
    ?MaxPlayerWait=120?MinPlayers=1