Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Tutorial] Hosting a server with Custom maps!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Tutorial] Hosting a server with Custom maps!

Since you're here I assume you already have your own server up and running.
    If not Here is a very nice tutorial explaining everything in detail. (I got my server up in running in now time with that tutorial)

Now that you've your server, it's time to setup up your own custom maps to play.

Here's what you are going to have to do:
    1. In the Unreal Tournament Editor Click on share this level. [MAKE SURE YOU SAVE AS DM-YourLevelName] Make sure to have the DM- prefix other wise Unreal tournament is going to give you a hard time.

2. After it's done packaging, before you click Yes to save your file to UT File Storage, Click on the "Open window to packaged content directory". Now that you have file explorer open at the location of your file you can Click yes to upload to UT File Storage.

3.In the File explorer that just open you will find your level.pak file, this is the file we are going to need for the next step.

4. Now we will need to upload our level file to a website were the Unreal Tournament client can download the level from. I suggest creating an account on https://ut.rushbase.net and uploading it there. Hold on to the download link for your file we are going to need that later.

5. Last step before we start putting all the elements in our server config files, is to generate the MD5 PackageCheckSum. It's kinda like a small security
    check to see if we downloaded the right file from ut.rushbase. Go to onlinemd5.com make sure the Checksum type is set to MD5 and upload your level.pak file, once again hold on to the newly generated File checksum code, we wil be needing it later.

Now go to you Unreal Tournament Server files and in your game.ini file paste this piece of code:

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTBaseGameMode]RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Misconduct-WindowsNoEditor", PackageURLProtocol="https", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/zonixkid/DM-Misconduct-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="f122e5c3f1a105bc1a14731998ab2228")
    Only things you need to change is:
    -The PackageName should be your level package name ofcourse. (step 1)
    -The url should be the download url from ut.rushbase. (step 4)
    -The PackageCheckSum should be the one we generated at onlinemd5.com (step 5)

7. Drag and drop your map.pak file in:
    UnrealTournamentServerFolder\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks

8. Last step is to change you starting level in your start.bat file to your: DM-YourLevel (Note this name is without the -WindowsNoEditor)
    This is what my Start.bat looks like:

//

Thats it, I hope it works and everyone could follow allong on my instructions. If there are any questions or problems you can post them here.I will try and get back to you as soon as possible.

Zonix Out

EDIT: Added an additional screenshot and corrected some spelling errors.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zonixkid; 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM.
    - DAE Assignment: DM-Misconduct - Hosting a server with Custom Maps: TUTORIAL -

you have Rule.ini outlined in Red when it should be Game.ini!?
    http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
    http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

Thanks , fixed it

Comment

I figured out how to play LAN games using the Unreal Server files. Basically you just set up the server as stated above. But make sure that the "multihome" ip matches your ip of the network.

How to get that ip?
        Open window Command prompt ( win + r then type in cmd and run it)
        Press ipconfig and search for the "IPv4 address". This is the address that should be set as your multihome ip.

How to play lan?
        At our college certain ports are blocked. Today I wanted to play some custom maps with a friend of mine.
        We had to do some tricks to get it working at first.

First what we did was disable our wireless netwerk adapter and put in the ethernet cable from my laptop to his laptop. I'm not sure if you have to always do this but this made my computer recognise a network so It might just be my pc.
        Then I launched my server with the custom pak in it. The player that wants to join you needs to use the "Connect to ip..." option inside unreal tournament and input your network ip ( the IPv4 you set as multihome). Normally he should be able to connect.

If you get a message saying that you are missing a package you will have to get the package of the host and put it in the right directory ( "
        C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks").

Can anyone confirm that this works? It did for us. Thursday we are gonna test with a bigger group to see if we can get a small match going.
        Last edited by jonathansty; 10-15-2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathansty View Post
          ......................................................................................................

If you get a message saying that you are missing a package you will have to get the package of the host and put it in the right directory ( "D:\Users\Jonathan\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\MyContent").
          The proper place would be...

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks

... the "MyContent" folder is only created if you have used the editor and cooked/shared a map or other asset you might have created! ... all other people who plays the game and not create will not have that folder! ... FYI
          http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
          http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

ahhh, I didn't know that. I'm fairly new to unreal tournament. Thanks Will change it.

Comment

Map doesn't start here.... server brings up entry "map"

Im running it on linux (debian)
              Mokum-X Awesome Since 1999

UT4 DM Server Up @ ip 80.69.87.241:7777
              UT4 INSTA Server Up @ ip 80.69.87.241:8888

Comment

Originally posted by Lodeep View Post
                Map doesn't start here.... server brings up entry "map"

Im running it on linux (debian)
                mhh screenshot maybe ?

Comment

Nice tut man! Made this mess a whole lot easier!

Comment

There's an easier way to add redirects by using a command from the server executable. It'll auto checksum it, find the correct path for the pak, as well as enter all this info into your Game.ini file.
                    ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
                    CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
                    , Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Trinatek View Post
                      There's an easier way to add redirects by using a command from the server executable. It'll auto checksum it, find the correct path for the pak, as well as enter all this info into your Game.ini file.
                      I've used this commandlet:

UnrealTournamentServer.exe UnrealTournament -run=UTGenerateRedirects -Package=DM-Map-WindowsNoEditor -WebAddress=http://www.prounreal.org/ut4/maps/map-WindowsNoEditor.pak

The "-Package=" will need the .pak files name
                      The "-WebAddress=" will need the host link address for the file.
                      Then I put a shortcut to CMD.exe in the same place as my servers UE4Server-Win64-Test.exe file. Then double click the new shortcut and copy and past the commandlet into the newly opened window. And BINGO at least for the Game.ini file changes.
                      Last edited by Maddog3016; 01-04-2016, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Added another step that I forget , sorry guys. It should work properly now.

Comment

Working...
                        X