DM-Erase re-downloads every time I make a game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Erase re-downloads every time I make a game

UPDATE: Updated to new Mimic-b3, changed to Erase-A1, deleted paks, deleted entire line of each entry in config files and redid them; have no idea what was wrong but it works fine now.

What is the deal with Erase? I cannot find any info about this other than...

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
    Just a heads up, due to naming issues I think there will be 2 versions of erase, one called "DM-Erase_A1" and the other called "DM-Erase_A1_FIX" uploaded onto various servers. They are identical in every way excluding the name. Both can be found here:

https://ut.rushbase.net/Flikswich
    I've tried non fix, fix, and both in pak folder and no matter what I do it wants to re-download every time I make a game with it. I've quadruple checked every file and line and cannot figure out what the problem is. I've deleted Erase paks on server and client, double checked the checksums.

Code:
    Game.ini
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Erase_A1_FIX", PackageURLProtocol="https", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Flikswich/DM-Erase_A1_FIX-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="1f96fab0bfd3a5626eec96e6b350e115")
    Rules.ini
    CustomMapList=/Game/Maps/DM-Erase/DM-Erase_A1_FIX
    Last edited by Xarev; 02-25-2016, 11:20 PM.
    Xarev's Guide to Traceroute
    Add me on Steam for duels

Now its doing it with Mimic too. This is really frustrating... I've just spent the past couple hours on and off trying to fix everything and it STILL doesn't work right. The custom content system is really painful because it requires you to validate the url, download the pak from it and then make sure it is the one you have on server, check the checksum with the tool and compare it to what is in your config, check every single character in game.ini, rules.ini, reboot the server, re-join your hub with client, make a game to see if it is still broken, then repeat. Then every time somebody changes the url of the map, switches the folder structure around, updates the pak, removes the pak, compresses the pak, changes the name of the pak, you now have a broken server config that crashes clients or other odd behavior and you have to do all of these things over again.

It gets to the point where I just don't want to do this anymore. I've thought about implementing some kind of automated custom content tool that will tie everything together but finding the time right now is difficult. Does the dev team have any plans for making custom content friendlier to work with any time in the next 6 months?

At a bare minimum if we just had a fast file server with checksums, path information, and some kind of verification / versioning log so that things aren't just changed willy nilly without notice it would help a lot.

EDIT: Servers are disappearing... backend changes happening... you're building aren't you?!?... so now we have to do all this over AGAIN? AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Xarev; 02-25-2016, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xarev View Post
      Now its doing it with Mimic too. This is really frustrating... I've just spent the past couple hours on and off trying to fix everything and it STILL doesn't work right. The custom content system is really painful because it requires you to validate the url, download the pak from it and then make sure it is the one you have on server, check the checksum with the tool and compare it to what is in your config, check every single character in game.ini, rules.ini, reboot the server, re-join your hub with client, make a game to see if it is still broken, then repeat. Then every time somebody changes the url of the map, switches the folder structure around, updates the pak, removes the pak, compresses the pak, changes the name of the pak, you now have a broken server config that crashes clients or other odd behavior and you have to do all of these things over again.

It gets to the point where I just don't want to do this anymore. I've thought about implementing some kind of automated custom content tool that will tie everything together but finding the time right now is difficult. Does the dev team have any plans for making custom content friendlier to work with any time in the next 6 months?

At a bare minimum if we just had a fast file server with checksums, path information, and some kind of verification / versioning log so that things aren't just changed willy nilly without notice it would help a lot.

EDIT: Servers are disappearing... backend changes happening... you're building aren't you?!?... so now we have to do all this over AGAIN? AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I feel your pain man, it's a rough thankless job...

Here's my server lines for Erase:
      RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Erase_A1_FIX-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Flikswich/DM-Erase_A1_FIX-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="1F96FAB0BFD3A5626EEC96E6B350E115")

CustomMapList=/Game/Maps/DM-Erase/DM-Erase_A1_FIX

And Mimic:
      RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Mimic-b3-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/fjaru_/DM-Mimic-b3-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="CE3667EF6DA379D97C8312DD5D2DB0F1")

CustomMapList=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/DM-Mimic-b3

It looks like the "-WindowsNoEditor" part is missing in your Erase line.
      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

What hub? Unrealprime hub re-downloads maps every time for me.

Does it work offline?

You can find me or fjaru on discord or irc if you're still having issues with the map.
        :|

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post

It looks like the "-WindowsNoEditor" part is missing in your Erase line.
          Doh! I'm sure that was it. I've been copy pasting for accuracy straight out of putty after I run the checksums tool but must have thought I was copying for the shortname in custom map list. I must have looked at it a dozen times but never noticed it was missing that part.

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
          What hub? Unrealprime hub re-downloads maps every time for me.

Does it work offline?

You can find me or fjaru on discord or irc if you're still having issues with the map.
          It's all good now, the newer Mimic-b3 and Erase_A1 are perfect now.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
            I think having the uncompressed Pak in your folders causes redownloading
            Is there documentation for compressing the pak's. I have had the same issues with having to re-download custom maps twice every time one is voted for. I have temporarily removed them till I can figure out why the map never saves to the client.

Comment

Raxxy compressed it for me :L
              :|

Comment

This was one of the problems out of many.

1. Urls had changed on 2 muts (folder structure) and 1 map (missing).
                2. I had a mixture of compressed and non compressed maps with the same name both on server and client.
                3. One of the checksums didn't correlate to the url pak though it did to the pak on server.
                4. The error M^uL pointed out.

The system is error prone as hell.

Comment

Saw this in the changelog for the upcoming build which will help us a little bit...

- Paks that are put into the main content directory now get MD5s added to the list so redirects are applied properly.

- Specify an empty checksum in the redirects list to have it determined automatically (eventually this will be the default all the time but work needs to be done to make sure it doesn't impact instance startup time)

Comment

This is a complete mess right now. Some mappers are compressing and some are not. I installed maps on my server as the mapper intended. If someone compresses later using Rattlesnakes tool or other method without the mappers consent, you run the risk of the really hosing people up. Explains why I had a bunch of redownload issues on the UnrealPrime servers.

This issue should all disappear after the next build when mappers start doing revision updates.
                    Last edited by MΛuL; 02-26-2016, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Yes indeed this is a pain. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on. I did notice DM-Malevolence-V11-WindowsNoEditor.pak on unrealprime was a compressed version so anybody with MoxNix's version would have issues for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SC]-[LONG_{HoF} View Post
                        Yes indeed this is a pain. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on. I did notice DM-Malevolence-V11-WindowsNoEditor.pak on unrealprime was a compressed version so anybody with MoxNix's version would have issues for sure.
                        There is nothing wrong with MoxNix's version if your using his redirect!!!!

RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Malevolence-V11-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Malevolence-V11-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="d74d13dd43a2039a1b40b6dc78bb3328")

if you have something else, that is your problem/issue not his!

works perfect on my Hub!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Working...
                        X