No announcement yet.

-= LoPing Arena =-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the update bar! I'll be reloading it up shortly!
    LoPing
    Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Nice, thank you!
      WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
      Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

Originally posted by ÐutchSmºke View Post
        Give it time mon ami, it's a simple case of getting comfortable with the map. An good example of this is the fact that I still get thanks for the replays showing folks the keg of life on DM-Zeto, better late than never eh!
        LOLLL, that's REALLY funny!!!

Looking forward to the Qu0 final! And may I suggest maybe a '99 map remake for your next project? As much as I love new fresh maps, 300+MB DL's are putting off alot of new players. If you need some examples just let me know.
        Hé hé, there is a UT99 map that I already think of making, remember DM-Oblivion? This is one of my fav, which as been remade in all UT's. I'm searching for a asset pack to use...

And for map size, in 2021, 400 MB isn't big at all. If players aren't aware of that, it's time they wake up. Even for low detailed maps (many assets with 1K textures), it's easy to surpass 250 MB. It's really time players jump to 2021 and stop thinking that good looking level can be as big as 20 years old UT map! My maps are detailed, I'm a bit aware of that, but I reduce the visual quality each time just to accommodate the "community" because if it was only for me, I would leave the default textures to 2K or even 4K instead of reducing them to 1K.

I'm at work know but I'm already exited to watch the replays later lol
        Stevie's corner
        My UT4 maps
        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

DM-Oblivion sounds good! & I'm just calling traffic as I see it, like your map navigation - the same applies to the netz.

Get'n folks to overstand is a game of patience. If it was for only me, I'd default the servers to allow for FTTH only but that'd be a real APPLE move and that's not why we're here.

The way I see it, this UT's already an exclusive going onto classic game thanks to it's communIty including the zombies.

Have fun with the replays!
          LoPing

Comment

I was looking for a new sci-fi pack whit enough content to build an entire level.

At my blog, I posted pics showing a room using new sci-fi assets I didn't use in DM-Qu0. After the room was done, I decided to try to go further with this pack to see if I can build a complete level. I don't know how it will turn out in the end but I might be able to make a level, I don't know yet. The new map name is DM-Sarr

I also bought another sci-fi pack which cost me 70$ CA. The pack itself isn't expensive for what it include. It's really a fabulous pack! Therefore, it is VERY expensive in the way that I'm paying to get content, for a free game, to share maps with players that don't care about them! It's completely absurd, stupid to pay to share after with others that don't give a ***. Since I love mapping so much, I do it even if I know that I should keep all my maps for me because sometime, comments can be helpful, when there are some...

DM-Oblivion will be remade for sure with this fresh new pack in the upcoming months
            Last edited by Stevelois; 02-16-2021, 02:38 PM. Reason: Syntax
            Stevie's corner
            My UT4 maps

Comment

We trust you to do what you do (rather well) Steve! Pulling two hares out the hat sounds like a win+win if you ask me.

It is an odd relationship isn't it, yet you gotta love the human condition mon. We'll all be working from home abit more if possible so time will play its part & like you said, Love is where it's at! (and nobody said it was gonna be cheap). Some of us probaby wish to forget what a 36GB Seagate Cheetah cost back in the day.

We look forward to Sarr & Oblivion! Keep It Up!
              LoPing

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                Hey m8, I can see that fragging is going well in 2021 judging by the numbers of replays

Something I noticed, when you and others are playing a new version of my map for the first time, players don't take the time to look at the fresh environment, art? Neither don't try the new moves the enhanced layout offer? I notice this in all my maps because I watch all the replays of all my maps.

Honestly, it's quite deceiving to see players aren't using all the movement possibilities the map is offering. Specially when knowing you can make lifjump with wall run or wall dodge combos but no one is doing that and use the translocator instead

More, at the end of the matches, only comments are "GG", like no one cares about the map improvements?

This post is not to criticize you but rather understand, why me, a mapper would spend time and effort making awesome levels if in the end, all improvements made (movements, sounds and visuals) aren't notice and take into account by players when looking at the replays?

Have a nice day
                Hi Stevelois, I just read your post. I’ve been playing on the Loping Arena for a while, and more often lately. I played many of your maps (you should have seen me in the replays). Most of them I played only a few times. Your maps are really awesome! I consider them a true piece of art and belong to my top list of most appreciated maps. Also the background music is highly appreciated. It seems to melt with the map-experience, and I would miss it, if not there.

I do look around and try to find all the possibilities the map offers, but as Dutch said, it is the high pace of the game that does not give you much time to look around. A rule in every match is: standing still for even a fraction of a second result in a headshot. Especially with Dutch around

Earlier I’ve been playing a few of your maps (Elik and Coda) against bots and took a bit more time to look around. But in the heat of the game against real human players I am having a hard time not to get fragged. I wish I had more time to explore, but I play UT now only online because it is more fun to play, and I just don’t have more time at the moment. Still I have the feeling that every time I discover a new little thing, so I will slowly make more use of the possibilities. But I don’t think I can comment you on the improvements because I haven’t been playing the older versions very much. I am new to most maps on Loping server. There are so many that most maps I play only few times. And for myself I am also still learning how to make optimal use of maps. I am not a high-end player and am sure I miss out on a lot of things. I will try to play more attention next time I play your map and hopefully give significant feedback.

It is not that when you don’t see comments in the messages that I don’t appreciate it. On top of that, during the game I speak to DutchSmoke via Mumble and I sometimes comment this way how I appreciate the map and the creativity of the mappers, I think Dutch can confirm this Of course you can't hear that, and I should have posted that here

Anyway, don’t think that all your time, effort and creativity is not appreciated, because it surely is. I can only speak for myself, but I am sure this counts for most players. In general I appreciate every mapper, and respect the work you all do. I look up to it, I wish I could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mictēcacihuātl View Post

Hi Stevelois, I just read your post. I’ve been playing on the Loping Arena for a while, and more often lately. I played many of your maps (you should have seen me in the replays). Most of them I played only a few times. Your maps are really awesome! I consider them a true piece of art and belong to my top list of most appreciated maps. Also the background music is highly appreciated. It seems to melt with the map-experience, and I would miss it, if not there.

I do look around and try to find all the possibilities the map offers, but as Dutch said, it is the high pace of the game that does not give you much time to look around. A rule in every match is: standing still for even a fraction of a second result in a headshot. Especially with Dutch around

Earlier I’ve been playing a few of your maps (Elik and Coda) against bots and took a bit more time to look around. But in the heat of the game against real human players I am having a hard time not to get fragged. I wish I had more time to explore, but I play UT now only online because it is more fun to play, and I just don’t have more time at the moment. Still I have the feeling that every time I discover a new little thing, so I will slowly make more use of the possibilities. But I don’t think I can comment you on the improvements because I haven’t been playing the older versions very much. I am new to most maps on Loping server. There are so many that most maps I play only few times. And for myself I am also still learning how to make optimal use of maps. I am not a high-end player and am sure I miss out on a lot of things. I will try to play more attention next time I play your map and hopefully give significant feedback.

It is not that when you don’t see comments in the messages that I don’t appreciate it. On top of that, during the game I speak to DutchSmoke via Mumble and I sometimes comment this way how I appreciate the map and the creativity of the mappers, I think Dutch can confirm this Of course you can't hear that, and I should have posted that here

Anyway, don’t think that all your time, effort and creativity is not appreciated, because it surely is. I can only speak for myself, but I am sure this counts for most players. In general I appreciate every mapper, and respect the work you all do. I look up to it, I wish I could do it.
                  Hello Mictēcacihuātl,

Yep, I recognize you since I watch all Dutch replays, I saw your name often

I understand you're new to UT4. For my case, I'm an old fart playing the game since 1998

In the UT3 days, when I released a new map version, players fooled around to look at it, try the new moves before adding bots. Then play online with friends and comment in the forums after so it was very helpful to make the level better. Comments is the only feedback the mapper receive to make his level better. No comments = no improvements in general.

I'm delighted to read from you. Your comments is very encouraging and make me see I'm not sharing my maps for nothing, that some players appreciate them and see all the dev and love that is put into them I've send you a friend request lol

THX for this explanation and plz, don't hesitate to share your thoughts at my blog too, it's way better for my "moral health" than reading on forums.

Good day!
                  Stevie's corner
                  My UT4 maps

Comment

Stevelois, I understand that if you never get any comments on your maps, it can be demotivating.

I play UT4 a bit over a year now. But first months I played only the standard maps since I was not aware of the universe of maps out there.

I also played UT99 though, but only since 2006. Later also 2K4. Due to personal circumstances I have a hiatus of a few years in my UT-CV
                    And are now trying to catch up.

When I have more time I will follow your advice and explore some maps without bots (or humans). The map-knowledge will also be an advantage to me during matches.

Comment

Hé hé, there is a UT99 map that I already think of making, remember DM-Oblivion? This is one of my fav, which as been remade in all UT's.
                      I would love that! Oblivion is also one of my favorites. Coincidentally I said it to Dutch last week, that I would like to see a map like Oblivion in UT4.

Comment

Stevelois, I understand that if you never get any comments on your maps, it can be demotivating.

I play UT4 a bit over a year now. But first months I played only the standard maps since I was not aware of the universe of maps out there.

I also played UT99 though, but only since 2006. Later also 2K4. Due to personal circumstances I have a hiatus of a few years in my UT-CV
                        And are now trying to catch up.

When I have more time I will follow your advice and explore some maps without bots (or humans). The map-knowledge will also be an advantage to me during matches.
                        Indeed, loading a map alone will permit you to appreciate the artistic aspect of the level and will also give you map knowledge and you will be able to try new moves in peace

I would love that! Oblivion is also one of my favorites. Coincidentally I said it to Dutch last week, that I would like to see a map like Oblivion in UT4.
                        In fact, it cost me 70$ to buy a new sci-fi pack to be able to remake this level and maybe others. All the sci-fi free pack available are in some way limited and I wanted a new pack to build future maps
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps

Comment

In fact, it cost me 70$ to buy a new sci-fi pack to be able to remake this level and maybe others. All the sci-fi free pack available are in some way limited and I wanted a new pack to build future maps
                          What is a sci-fi pack?
                          Forgive me, but sometimes I don't know what you guys talk about

Comment

What is a sci-fi pack?
                            Forgive me, but sometimes I don't know what you guys talk about
                            No problem

A pack is a package, which contain assets (textures, static meshes, materials, VFX, etc). To build a level, since the static meshes are modular, like Lego blocks, you must put them together to build up your scene. Check here for example
                            Stevie's corner
                            My UT4 maps

Comment

Hi Stevelois, thanks for the explanation. I understood the package part But I did not get it in the context of building maps because I have zero experience in that.
                              Even if I would have all the pieces, I would still not be able to build a coherent map
                              I really wonder where you get your inspiration.

I played Elik and Coda again last week. As soon as the game starts, you get absorbed into the experience: the overal arena, the high detail, the atmosphere, and the background music: It blends into one experience. I have that anyway with any map/duel: your mind gets tricked like it is really there in the environment (like stepping back because there is an abyss, blinking your eyes when a flak shrapnel or rocket is thrown at you, or 'feeling' the bullets from a minigun). And even though i don't have time to look around, it is a unique experience, and different from any other map.

I can't give any recommendations for improvements, only some appreciations. With Elik I get the feeling of being in an underground cage. The moisture and algae on the rocks, the way the water moves, the lighting (light areas vs twilight and dark) make it all very convincing. In Coda I like the shininess of the surfaces, the reflectance of the light. I was this week standing at some windows and appreciating the 'retina appearance' (don't know how to describe, it reminded me about the facet eyes of insects). I am sure my CPU is having a hard time keeping up with the details
                              If it would soon be possible to isolate your brain and live in an cyber-reality, I would like you to create mine
                              Last edited by Mictēcacihuātl; 02-27-2021, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Hé hé

Inspiration come from my imagination, I have a lot LOL

It consist a putting together the scene I have in mind and adapt it for the game so gameplay fit's well.

Assets are like Lego blocks, even the greatest pack will look ugly in a scene if all those aren't use well. Mapping is a form of art, putting all those assets together require artistic skills & some have this skill more than others, naturally. After come the material fine tuning, lighting, post-process, audio, VFX, etc which are as much important of putting the assets together to obtain a really good immersive experience.

The biggest challenge I have is to find the right asset pack that match the most what I have in mind. UT4 editor is so obsolete that every time I import assets in it, it's a pain in the *** to make them work AND look good in this old editor Time to time, I have to ask other mapper / modeler to fix some meshes because the original isn't working in the editor, no joke.

I stopped to hope others will post something in return after all the time, money I invest of sharing my maps with everyone. You can see that by the VERY RARE comments on my blog. But in the end, I map because I love it and I share my maps to gather feedback to get others POV. Which feedback is a big deception all the time in all my maps, sadly. Only few players take the time to show their appreciation, gratitude and worthy feedback like you do.

On another subject, I watch your replays and your getting better, which is great I suggest now that you try lift jumps in some maps, you will discover new opportunities instead of relying on the translocator
                                Last edited by Stevelois; 02-28-2021, 03:33 PM.
                                Stevie's corner
                                My UT4 maps

Comment

Working...
                                X