-= LoPing Arena =-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... the translocator......... !

I realized the BV that cover all the top of the map isn't there anymore? I must have delete it by mistake? I'll fix it and upload a new version. It will be in few mins.

Good that you found out, héhé

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Niceness Steve! We look forward to it
    Loaded & Locked! & there's some blocking needed on the outside as shown on my replay.
    Another sweet looking map there bud! Good music, good atmosphere! Thanks again for yet another very UT map!
    Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 03-12-2021, 03:33 PM. Reason: Tested some

Leave a comment:

• replied
    DM-Sarr to be release tomorrow evening

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey

Yup, I've checked the replay, they are not saying much but it's very positive

Elik as been updated. Check my blog

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Steve, I send you a PM about Elik.

You might want to check the replay of Coda of the 4th, the players were delighted with the surroundings
    The replay seems to have been cut short: there was more chatting going on about the map later that is not visible.

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
    Hé hé
    On another subject, I watch your replays and your getting better, which is great I suggest now that you try lift jumps in some maps, you will discover new opportunities instead of relying on the translocator
    Thanks, I learned a lot last months, but still have a lot to learn. I guess I am just hooked to my translocator.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ÐutchSmºke View Post
    Oddness for sure there Steve! I'd go down the line and block & remove those you don't know....
    It's an idea bud, but since they aren't in my friend list, I can't block / delete them. Moving to replay, even by selecting a player in the drop list, there is no option to hide, remove, block any players

Like always, it's never easy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oddness for sure there Steve! I'd go down the line and block & remove those you don't know.
    The replays also have an issue of still posting "live" replay matchs and others seem to have this issue since March 2020.
    EGL updates haven't been without incident either.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The VERY weird thing about online friends, is that all of a sudden, my friend list as exploded and I'm seeing lot's of unknown players in my list, players I never ask their friendship??? This is extremely annoying to see all those in my friend list, specially when I don't want those and that your name is completely at the end of the list instead of being with the other names starting with the letter "D".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Time plays it part yet again! as you can see on the replays we're getting an influx of players of again.

May I suggest that folks (Players & Mappers) start friends listing eachother so that you can checkout even more replays!
    I spectate from time to time so my replays are not complete.

On an another note, for those who play other actively developed Epic games stateside, you may want to check this.
    Last edited by ÐutchSmºke; 03-02-2021, 01:32 PM. Reason: some news added

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hé hé

Inspiration come from my imagination, I have a lot LOL

It consist a putting together the scene I have in mind and adapt it for the game so gameplay fit's well.

Assets are like Lego blocks, even the greatest pack will look ugly in a scene if all those aren't use well. Mapping is a form of art, putting all those assets together require artistic skills & some have this skill more than others, naturally. After come the material fine tuning, lighting, post-process, audio, VFX, etc which are as much important of putting the assets together to obtain a really good immersive experience.

The biggest challenge I have is to find the right asset pack that match the most what I have in mind. UT4 editor is so obsolete that every time I import assets in it, it's a pain in the *** to make them work AND look good in this old editor Time to time, I have to ask other mapper / modeler to fix some meshes because the original isn't working in the editor, no joke.

I stopped to hope others will post something in return after all the time, money I invest of sharing my maps with everyone. You can see that by the VERY RARE comments on my blog. But in the end, I map because I love it and I share my maps to gather feedback to get others POV. Which feedback is a big deception all the time in all my maps, sadly. Only few players take the time to show their appreciation, gratitude and worthy feedback like you do.

On another subject, I watch your replays and your getting better, which is great I suggest now that you try lift jumps in some maps, you will discover new opportunities instead of relying on the translocator
    Last edited by Stevelois; 02-28-2021, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Stevelois, thanks for the explanation. I understood the package part But I did not get it in the context of building maps because I have zero experience in that.
    Even if I would have all the pieces, I would still not be able to build a coherent map
    I really wonder where you get your inspiration.

I played Elik and Coda again last week. As soon as the game starts, you get absorbed into the experience: the overal arena, the high detail, the atmosphere, and the background music: It blends into one experience. I have that anyway with any map/duel: your mind gets tricked like it is really there in the environment (like stepping back because there is an abyss, blinking your eyes when a flak shrapnel or rocket is thrown at you, or 'feeling' the bullets from a minigun). And even though i don't have time to look around, it is a unique experience, and different from any other map.

I can't give any recommendations for improvements, only some appreciations. With Elik I get the feeling of being in an underground cage. The moisture and algae on the rocks, the way the water moves, the lighting (light areas vs twilight and dark) make it all very convincing. In Coda I like the shininess of the surfaces, the reflectance of the light. I was this week standing at some windows and appreciating the 'retina appearance' (don't know how to describe, it reminded me about the facet eyes of insects). I am sure my CPU is having a hard time keeping up with the details
    If it would soon be possible to isolate your brain and live in an cyber-reality, I would like you to create mine
    Last edited by Mictēcacihuātl; 02-27-2021, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mictēcacihuātl View Post

What is a sci-fi pack?
    Forgive me, but sometimes I don't know what you guys talk about
    No problem

A pack is a package, which contain assets (textures, static meshes, materials, VFX, etc). To build a level, since the static meshes are modular, like Lego blocks, you must put them together to build up your scene. Check here for example

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In fact, it cost me 70$ to buy a new sci-fi pack to be able to remake this level and maybe others. All the sci-fi free pack available are in some way limited and I wanted a new pack to build future maps
    What is a sci-fi pack?
    Forgive me, but sometimes I don't know what you guys talk about

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Stevelois, I understand that if you never get any comments on your maps, it can be demotivating.

I play UT4 a bit over a year now. But first months I played only the standard maps since I was not aware of the universe of maps out there.

I also played UT99 though, but only since 2006. Later also 2K4. Due to personal circumstances I have a hiatus of a few years in my UT-CV
    And are now trying to catch up.

When I have more time I will follow your advice and explore some maps without bots (or humans). The map-knowledge will also be an advantage to me during matches.
    Indeed, loading a map alone will permit you to appreciate the artistic aspect of the level and will also give you map knowledge and you will be able to try new moves in peace

I would love that! Oblivion is also one of my favorites. Coincidentally I said it to Dutch last week, that I would like to see a map like Oblivion in UT4.
    In fact, it cost me 70$ to buy a new sci-fi pack to be able to remake this level and maybe others. All the sci-fi free pack available are in some way limited and I wanted a new pack to build future maps

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hé hé, there is a UT99 map that I already think of making, remember DM-Oblivion? This is one of my fav, which as been remade in all UT's.
    I would love that! Oblivion is also one of my favorites. Coincidentally I said it to Dutch last week, that I would like to see a map like Oblivion in UT4.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X