Considering starting a server..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering starting a server..

i know the game is a bit stagnant currently but still wish to learn how to do this and put up some of my custom maps up (as well as others) and provide a server to the community. Only a few north american servers seem to populate regularly. But im still interested in learning the process. Im looking for advice on a hosting service from people in the know. I looked at NFO, pingperfect and some others. Costs seem to escalate quickly with several instances, higher speed and high priority. I understand that you get what you pay for but is there a middle ground that gives most bang for your buck. Any recommendations on server specs would be greatly appreciated as well. Linux seems to be the better choice for OS but havent used linux since mandrake 7.2 lol

read the forums... all the info is here.

Comment

Roger that. Just looking for some quick tips people might have. The forums have actually provided quite a bit so far. Learned how to map from them. Can prolly learn to set up server

Comment

I am using NFO Server's single core VDS with Ubuntu 16.04 option, Dallas InterNAP, which is only $7.99. It seems reliable enough for a single instance. If more than one instance is started it will make some "server or network hitching" alerts appear clientside, or sometimes even crash one or both instances. Setup is fairly straightforward if you follow a guide: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Server...x_Server_Setup

Comment

ok, thanks for link. will check this out

Comment

If you do decide on Linux, keep in mind that you do not need (want) a full-featured install to just run an UT server. Example: a base Arch install is literally command-line only. If you want a window manager or desktop environment, you add all that after initial setup. Not sure if/which other distros do this. I would assume Debian has this option and is considered more "stable" compared to Arch's "bleeding edge".
            No one sees what tomorrow knows.

Comment

checked out nfo and the game list for hosting has all ut's except ut4. do you guys just use the ut3 one?

Comment

Working...
              X