This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrostbyteGR View Post
    [*]If possible we would like for an option, in the Custom game creation tab, to append aditional stuff in the GameOptions string. For example my GameMode offers customization if we append stuff like "?IsArena=True?RoundTimer=60" in the launch string. A little box that would make that happen, would be really great.
    This can be a security risk. (Command piping.)

Comment

Sanitize the string before passing it then?
      (Only allowing alphanumeric characters and the "?" and "=" operators, I can't see command piping happening that way)
      > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
      > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
      > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Originally posted by [PHX]Big_Deal View Post
        Sure i can kill instances, but no admin want kill an instance to play on own Server, because this you will make some times and the players will never come back.
        I think Clans want run the Gamemodes which they want to play without kill instances. If a Clan want play CTF, DM and TDM, they will not rent a Duel server too. For sure the most clans will rent x dedicated Servers with x slots for a specific gametype and not a HUB where players use the slots for gametypes they dont want to play. I am sure you will add more admin control with cool stuff inside, but think about, before a Clan will rent a HUB for example with 60 slots and slots or instances are blocked because they are in use, they will rent 5 pure servers with 12 slots and the gametypes they want and they can play whenever they want.
        Your HUB system is realy a cool stuff for community and a great idea, but the admins should decide which gamemodes and how much instances from every gamemode should run on HUB.
        I completely agree with this and I think Epic is going to hurt a lot of the community family aspect of UT by not allowing this. I am a iCTF player, my clan only plays iCTF. In UT99 we ran a very popular server and are known for making some very popular maps throughout the UT history, one of our members was actually commissioned to make maps for UT4 by Epic. We want to build a community of similar game style players. We want a hub that is just instagib, so that all the players that join become familiar with each other and there skill levels. We want a place where every time a player connects, they know on our hub they can find a quality instagib game. Simply stated, we dont want Duelers, DM, TDM, Assault players hanging around our hub. If we have a HUB that supports 100 players, we dont want 50 regular weapon players, 25 rocket arena players and 25 instagib players as it makes it harder for the instagib players to get matches together. We want 100 instagib players and no one else. If you join our server, you are playing instagib and you are joining our community. You are not running your own community within our community. I pay for a server to be in the company of the players I decide, if you cant provide this, why would I waste my money on a UT server or even put the amount of time and effort we have into past games and building communities?

To add to this, you are now also going to heavily limit the clan world. In Past UTs clans ran servers for private practice/matches but also as a very important piece of recruiting. Players become familiar with a server/clan and hang around on the server. Playing with the same members and getting to know them. It would be nearly impossible to try and recruit new players, if you dont have a home server. If every day you might be on a different hub playing with completely new and random players. Players rarely love every aspect of UT, more often than not they love a single game mode/type. UT is such a broad skill set that if you dont focus on a single gametype, you will never get good enough to be competitive.

In the end, if you end up not allowing specific game types in hubs, it will only be changed through mutators later. Then I doubt that a mutator changing the way hubs work is going to be the most stable platform, but admins will do it and players will suffer and people will complain about UT. Then to go a step further, I will load my hub up with Instagib style maps only and remove all non instagib maps. So now if you do try and start a regular weapon DM match on my server, you are only going to find maps not suited for regular weapon DM or even maps that have no regular weapons even included. Prior to the ability to set specific game types, clans that want game specific hubs will just admin the **** out of the hubs. If you start a match on my instagib hub that isnt instagib, you will just be kicked. This will definitely impact the new player base and obviously frustrate a lot of people when in the middle of a match/game they are kicked and removed from the hub. How will this impact ranked matches then? Sure its a **** move, but if the only option I have to build the community I want is to forcefully remove every player who doesnt enjoy the same game type as me, then so be it. Personally I would not care if every regular weapon player in the game hated my hub, as long as the instagib players enjoyed it.

Or you can avoid all these issues by giving hubs the ability to only allow specific game types. The match making system will be able to tell what the servers are used for and not start matches on hubs where players arent welcome. Players can filter hubs based on available game types preventing players from being kicked from hubs or having a poor experience. Clans and players can form communities easily around central hubs and everyone will be happier. No one would be upset if they see a hub and its listed as instagib only, they will just find another hub. People who cant set a hub as instagib only, will be mad and will resort to measures that will negatively impact the playing experience for everyone in the game to get the experience they desire.
        Last edited by PayBack; 07-23-2015, 12:12 PM.
        PayBack

Comment

That's correct, it will definitely need the power for admins to limit what kind of servers instances/content can exist. If all users can just start whatever they want the hubs/servers/communities you try to build up will not be very tailor suited to your own community at all.

Comment

Are we going to get better locations for the servers/hubs?

Or maybe it's because of the server/engine? Impossible to do nice plays with the purple ball shooting weapon when you can't shoot it from the side.

Maybe I'm just spoiled as a swede with fibre but 50+ ping to me is really high.. Not really sure what country you put the servers in.

Comment

Originally posted by poppe View Post
              Are we going to get better locations for the servers/hubs?

Or maybe it's because of the server/engine? Impossible to do nice plays with the purple ball shooting weapon when you can't shoot it from the side.

Maybe I'm just spoiled as a swede with fibre but 50+ ping to me is really high.. Not really sure what country you put the servers in.
              They have already increased the number with a West Coast US and Australia server now running. I'm sure they are looking at other areas.
              Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                I completely agree with this and I think Epic is going to hurt a lot of the community family aspect of UT by not allowing this. I am a iCTF player, my clan only plays iCTF. In UT99 we ran a very popular server and are known for making some very popular maps throughout the UT history, one of our members was actually commissioned to make maps for UT4 by Epic. We want to build a community of similar game style players. We want a hub that is just instagib, so that all the players that join become familiar with each other and there skill levels. We want a place where every time a player connects, they know on our hub they can find a quality instagib game. Simply stated, we dont want Duelers, DM, TDM, Assault players hanging around our hub. If we have a HUB that supports 100 players, we dont want 50 regular weapon players, 25 rocket arena players and 25 instagib players as it makes it harder for the instagib players to get matches together. We want 100 instagib players and no one else. If you join our server, you are playing instagib and you are joining our community. You are not running your own community within our community. I pay for a server to be in the company of the players I decide, if you cant provide this, why would I waste my money on a UT server or even put the amount of time and effort we have into past games and building communities?

To add to this, you are now also going to heavily limit the clan world. In Past UTs clans ran servers for private practice/matches but also as a very important piece of recruiting. Players become familiar with a server/clan and hang around on the server. Playing with the same members and getting to know them. It would be nearly impossible to try and recruit new players, if you dont have a home server. If every day you might be on a different hub playing with completely new and random players. Players rarely love every aspect of UT, more often than not they love a single game mode/type. UT is such a broad skill set that if you dont focus on a single gametype, you will never get good enough to be competitive.

In the end, if you end up not allowing specific game types in hubs, it will only be changed through mutators later. Then I doubt that a mutator changing the way hubs work is going to be the most stable platform, but admins will do it and players will suffer and people will complain about UT. Then to go a step further, I will load my hub up with Instagib style maps only and remove all non instagib maps. So now if you do try and start a regular weapon DM match on my server, you are only going to find maps not suited for regular weapon DM or even maps that have no regular weapons even included. Prior to the ability to set specific game types, clans that want game specific hubs will just admin the **** out of the hubs. If you start a match on my instagib hub that isnt instagib, you will just be kicked. This will definitely impact the new player base and obviously frustrate a lot of people when in the middle of a match/game they are kicked and removed from the hub. How will this impact ranked matches then? Sure its a **** move, but if the only option I have to build the community I want is to forcefully remove every player who doesnt enjoy the same game type as me, then so be it. Personally I would not care if every regular weapon player in the game hated my hub, as long as the instagib players enjoyed it.

Or you can avoid all these issues by giving hubs the ability to only allow specific game types. The match making system will be able to tell what the servers are used for and not start matches on hubs where players arent welcome. Players can filter hubs based on available game types preventing players from being kicked from hubs or having a poor experience. Clans and players can form communities easily around central hubs and everyone will be happier. No one would be upset if they see a hub and its listed as instagib only, they will just find another hub. People who cant set a hub as instagib only, will be mad and will resort to measures that will negatively impact the playing experience for everyone in the game to get the experience they desire.
                I agree with this.
                Clan:{TDC}The Demolition Crew
                Steam Group:UT-LGI
                http://cache.www.gametracker.com/ser...FFF_000000.png
                http://cache.www.gametracker.com/ser...FFF_000000.png
                UT4:192.223.24.155:7777
                http://streambadge.com/twitch/custom.../tdcmatrix.png

Comment

Why does Linux HUB appear as a regular server and not in the HUB-list? I have followed the official guide, but seems the server just enter into "Entry" map with 1 bot.

Comment

I tried joining a standalone server to my hub today as a dedicated instance, but its not showing up? Do you have any documentation on how to properly set this up?
                    PayBack

Comment

I think almost everyone wants this, but I am unaware of it actually working yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Kinsman View Post
                        I think almost everyone wants this, but I am unaware of it actually working yet?
                        It actually does work now and I believe jay has it set up and running.
                        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Even with the new update and removing -multihome from the command string I still can't get this working.
                          All my config files are here.
                          https://github.com/LacledesLAN/games...ig/LinuxServer

Comment

Can't hub games optionally be shown on nomal server list maybe with collumn for hub added? Say I am oldschool, but all I'd like to do is looking at a list of (at the moment very few) populated servers and chose one that I like.
                            Having to look into every hub fore and back to see what games are on is a pain and using the quick play is a pain too because I usually get in games that I don't want to be in.

Comment

Working...
                            X