Running a Windows 64 Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    What if we're not running a lobby server, do we replace "lobby" with "DM" or "CTF" ?.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Joe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've updated this to point to the wiki.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
    The next release has the ability to cull out Epic rules from the hub so if you want a CTF only hub.. go for it. But if you have a default rule tag (Deathmatch, CTF, etc) then they will be forced to the Epic rules.
    Great news. That´s i have waiting for.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Has anyone other than Joe gotten a dedicated instance working? If so, I'd like to check it out. I've tried it with the dedicated instance on the same rig as the Hub and I seem to get weird port crosstalk going (e.g. Hub MOTD has switched to dedicated instance MOTD). Some port suggestions for successful cohabitation might be helpful. Both the Hub and separate dedicated server run fine on their own.

I've tried wiring in a dedicated instance from a different physical server also but not joy. In both cases (same or different physical server), the dedicated instance barks profusely if the Hub is stopped so some form of comms is going on but it just doesn't show up in the Hub.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The next release has the ability to cull out Epic rules from the hub so if you want a CTF only hub.. go for it. But if you have a default rule tag (Deathmatch, CTF, etc) then they will be forced to the Epic rules. So your dream of a CTF only hub will come true.

To answer your other questions:

1. Yes, it shows as an always running game.
    2. I think so. Never tested it but it should work that way.

Keep in mind, dedicated instances are NOT meant to pool say all of the EU instagib servers in to a single hub. The reason is your ping will be WILDLY different to individual instances since the only QOS information the player get's is their ping to the hub. And NO I will not be displaying ping info to instances in the hub. They were never designed for that.
    Awesome, thanks for the response that definitely makes hubs a lot more attractive. If I can say one thing regarding the possibility of instance pings within a hub. I really feel like the next UT is going to be played two ways. Either random players joining random hubs and fooling around/match making with all game types or competitive players in a community congregating around a single game type. The first option you guys are well onto doing a pretty good job of supporting. The second option has a ton of potential to build really strong communities. The idea would be, for example I enjoy a very specific game type, LGI CTF 135/35, im never going to be able to go into a random hub and get that game type started up. If someone runs a hub dedicated for that gametype, I can join that hub and play, but as a clan/competitive player, it wont be a home server or the same as one. We cant load our custom maps or skins etc we are forced to play by the hub owners rules and we can control who has access. The old way of finding servers was always to load up the whole ctf browser and then filter based on game settings, then search for a game with people in it or try to start one on an empty server and hope someone else did the same as you and joins.

With hubs we now have this great opportunity to pool like minded servers and players. For example one person hosts a North East USA Instagib Hub. Clans can join their dedicated instances to that hub with the hub owners approval and now we can create a meeting place for all instagib players. Now we have the makings of a huge community where clans can be directly competitive in the hub chat and functionality on its own while still having access to their own private server within the community. In the old days people joined clans by hanging around a server for a while, usually it was one server and one clan. With this setup, you could have thousands of players in a hub, hanging out with hundreds of clans, all competing to recruit the best of the new players. With all the clans in such close proximity to each other, it would be really easy to get competitive clan matches going and develop those fun rivalries.

I understand this is not your intention for the hubs and dedicated instances, but it could be a really great boom to the community creation of UT4. It combines the community aspect of hubs with the competitive aspect/requirements of clans.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The next release has the ability to cull out Epic rules from the hub so if you want a CTF only hub.. go for it. But if you have a default rule tag (Deathmatch, CTF, etc) then they will be forced to the Epic rules. So your dream of a CTF only hub will come true.

To answer your other questions:

1. Yes, it shows as an always running game.
    2. I think so. Never tested it but it should work that way.

Keep in mind, dedicated instances are NOT meant to pool say all of the EU instagib servers in to a single hub. The reason is your ping will be WILDLY different to individual instances since the only QOS information the player get's is their ping to the hub. And NO I will not be displaying ping info to instances in the hub. They were never designed for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So I have a question. I love the idea of hubs, I hate the idea I cant control what game types are played on them, my server, my resources my money. A few questions.

1. If I join a dedicated instance to a hub, does it always show up in the hub as an active game? Can players adjust the game settings of the dedicated instances or can they only join and play how the servers is configured?
    2. If I join a dedicated instance to a hub and players are only able to play the settings I define on the server while connected to that instances in the hub, could I then set the number of allowed instances to be 1 so that while I have a hub running, you can only play on the one dedicated instances with my rules? The reason being I really love the hub functionality and features for building communities.

My plan would be to pool all the dedicated instagib servers into a single hub and block the creation of new instances on the hub. That way I can have a dedicated instagib hub and location where all gib players can hang out. I could just use a slow connection home server to run the hub and better paid for servers to run the instances.
    Last edited by PayBack; 07-27-2015, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OK on the ports what is listed is not 100% correct.

Only Port 7777 (or what ever you change that to) and port 7787 (again default, +1 for each instance unless changed,) needs to be forwarded.

Using Windows Resource monitor you can see what ports UT4 Server is listening for.

Note Port 41765 does not need to be forwarded.

As you can see, I have 2 Servers Running, only difference is one has -port=7777 in its batch and one has -port=7778, no other changes to the download server zip except server name, rcon password, etc.

There is no need to Forward ports 14000 (unless its a Hub Server),15000 or anything in the 8000's. Only 7777 (or what is specified by -port=####) and 7787 (plus one for each server instance, ie. 7787 + 7788 etc).

Apparently the 7787 can be changed as well but none of the config files have it listed by default.

For instance the total list "[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTLobbyGameMode]" and some option but doesn't say which file they go in.

EDIT: Port 14000 is used for Hub Servers apparently.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Napsterbater; 07-23-2015, 04:21 PM. Reason: Hub Server 14000 Info Added.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [PHX]Big_Deal View Post
    Must this in the Rules.ini or Game.ini?

Another question.
    For example: The pak name is "FreezeTag-v061.pak" and the game is "/Game/FreezeTag/FreezeTag.FreezeTag_C". Must step 8 general settings looks like this
    Code:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="/Game/FreezeTag/FreezeTag.FreezeTag_C", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="my redirect/FreezeTag-v061.pak", PackageChecksum="6BECC1C406D85CA01638FC6ED60BDDBF")
    or like this
    Code:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="FreezeTag-v061", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="my redirect/FreezeTag-v061.pak", PackageChecksum="6BECC1C406D85CA01638FC6ED60BDDBF")
    Thx
    The Game does not recognize FreezeTag-v061 as a PackageName, since this is only a container. It has to be the fully qualified name so it recognizes the gamemode that has just been called, matches the url with the *.pak containing the data. That's what I believe at least.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any progress on updating the rules.ini?

I'm interested in reducing the wait time before and after matches. Are there variables in place yet that govern these times?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Optional Step 8 Setting up general redirects

You can force all clients to connect to server to download content by adding general redirects. Here is an example:
    Code:
    [/Script/UnrealTournament.UTBaseGameMode]
    RedirectReferences=(MapName="/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-NickTest3", MapURLProtocol="https", MapURL="s3.amazonaws.com/unrealtournament/DM-NickTest3-WindowsNoEditor.pak", MapChecksum="2823d67ba5a2764330663ed3a5e048a2")
    The format is exactly the same as the rules above, only the parameter names changed. At some point we will rename everything here.
    Must this in the Rules.ini or Game.ini?

Another question.
    For example: The pak name is "FreezeTag-v061.pak" and the game is "/Game/FreezeTag/FreezeTag.FreezeTag_C". Must step 8 general settings looks like this
    Code:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="/Game/FreezeTag/FreezeTag.FreezeTag_C", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="my redirect/FreezeTag-v061.pak", PackageChecksum="6BECC1C406D85CA01638FC6ED60BDDBF")
    or like this
    Code:
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="FreezeTag-v061", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="my redirect/FreezeTag-v061.pak", PackageChecksum="6BECC1C406D85CA01638FC6ED60BDDBF")
    Thx

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I not sure I understand what you are saying? Yes, the RedirectReferences array is a part of the UTGameRulesets which only affect hubs but there are other mechanisms to setting up dedicated servers with redirects.
    HI
    My question is how to redirect a package (Gamemode) in pure dedicated Servers.
    I did test it like you wrote in the HowTo for Windows Servers.

In the game.ini i have:
    [/Script/UnrealTournament.UTBaseGameMode]
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="/Game/EnhancedPlay/VMutator_EnhancedPlay.VMutator_EnhancedPlay_C", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Vlad/Mutators/VMutator_EnhancedPlay-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="C34E2D84D45DE271672323FC556E1C6C")

The redirect is not working, this shows the log:
    Unknown property in RedirectReference: PackageName="/Game/EnhancedPlay/VMutator_EnhancedPlay.VMutator_EnhancedPlay_C", PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Vlad/Mutators/VMutator_EnhancedPlay-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="C34E2D84D45DE271672323FC556E1C6C")
    Unknown property in RedirectReference: PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Vlad/Mutators/VMutator_EnhancedPlay-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="C34E2D84D45DE271672323FC556E1C6C")
    Unknown property in RedirectReference: PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Vlad/Mutators/VMutator_EnhancedPlay-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageChecksum="C34E2D84D45DE271672323FC556E1C6C")
    Unknown property in RedirectReference: PackageChecksum="C34E2D84D45DE271672323FC556E1C6C")

If the mechanism is different from HUBS to pure Server, it would be appreciate for a HowTo for pure Servers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I not sure I understand what you are saying? Yes, the RedirectReferences array is a part of the UTGameRulesets which only affect hubs but there are other mechanisms to setting up dedicated servers with redirects.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi
    The "RedirectReferences=(PackageName=xxx " is only working in HUBS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X