No announcement yet.

Idea to Concept Community Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Idea to Concept Community Thread!

Hey folks!

I’ve noticed that there are a ton of weapon/character idea threads, but they kinda lose steam during the concept or modelling phase. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread where everyone can post their fresh ideas, and I will try to do some concept art for each idea. If anyone else wants to jump in and do concept art as well, it is welcome!

After I do the concept, I will post it here, so that everyone can comment/critique, decide to do some revisions or move onto modelling. Whatever.

Feel free to re-post any ideas you might have had in other threads.

The main goal is to come up with an idea that might deserve a spot in a mod or the core game as a weapon, utility or character. It’s very possible for a ton of really cool designs to come out of this, but I think a big focus should be on enjoying the process and having fun.

I am doing this in my free time, but I will try to keep a time open for doing this each week. Just keep in mind that I might not be able to get to all of the ideas right away.

I’m having some criteria for how you guys should give suggestions, so that it doesn’t get too crazy. :P

Here’s the criteria for weapons:

- A gameplay function for the weapon.
    - And/Or a utility ( some practical use other than killing stuff)
    - A theme for the weapon. (Some type of visual theme that at least has some broad relevance to UT that will give me a place to start when making the concept.)
    - Extras include : a story/history for the weapon, a name, any FX ideas, animation ideas.

And for characters:

- General info like name, faction, age, personality, body type etc..
    - Specific quirks
    - Any direction for the clothing/armor style
    - History/background on character and faction (if alien, this will help a lot).

You don’t need all of these things to be considered a suggestion, but the more you have the easier it will be for me, since I won’t have to come up with as much stuff for each concept.

This will probably be pretty rough at first while I work out the kinks of the process, but it should be pretty awesome once it gets rolling.

Cheers!

Character concepts:

Gorge https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...610#post183610

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Caliber https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...bernetic-Build

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Buckets

Scavenger One

Last edited by Gooba; 09-05-2015, 12:42 AM.
    Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Great initiative ! Interested to see what this thread will yield
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Weapon: Shock Rifle

A gameplay function for the weapon: A shock core that is easy to see against a dark background and a bright background, such as the bright white sky in outpost23, specifically at the sniper.

And/Or a utility ( some practical use other than killing stuff): Visibility. I've always wanted to be able to see shock cores against bright white backgrounds, such as bright skies, or bright walls.

- A theme for the weapon. (Some type of visual theme that at least has some broad relevance to UT that will give me a place to start when making the concept.): Shock cores produce gravity dominated black whole type implosions, so perhaps a "black hole" would be a great place to start.

- Extras include : a story/history for the weapon, a name, any FX ideas, animation ideas: Historically, the shock balls have always been horrendously difficult to see against bright backgrounds. It would be nice if that could become history.

Here's a quickie photoshop of what I think it could look like.

Obviously, it needs the attention of someone much more talented to make this look amazing.

Thanks!
      -Neil (CaptainMigraine)
      Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Comment

Originally posted by JFF View Post
        https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ERNAUT-concept

Name: Gorge
        Faction: Axon Juggernauts
        Age: 73? (Born 2268, tournament year 2341? 50 years since the founding of DM, original UT timeline)
        Personality: Hardened Criminal (raised in the creche {aka ghetto?}), Rage fuelled, Hot headed.
        Body type: Prison weightlifter
        Specific quirks: Geneboosted, Scar

Any direction for the clothing/armor style: Exoskeleton

Voice example in the first link, guy from robocop.

There is also a particle effect I put a request in for, Necris Nanoblack cloud for my vampire mutator. Im pretty good with particles, the material editor, 3d modelling, UVs so I can take things from concept further Im just not particular great at drawing and painting. I know you dont mention FX but I have seen some stuff done with pickup bases and I feel as though when we start exploring necris themed maps this particle could be useful there so Im willing to share and push it through into the core for everyone to use
        Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Might drop my character idea here. I just haven't had much time to push on the concept yet.

Not Working on a version of Xan or a character that already exists.

Name: Caliber
          Faction: Phayder
          Personality: Psychotic Comedian (Think Deadpool or The Joker)

History/Background: "Xan's Evil Twin"
          During the Robot Uprising, Liandri used agile security bots to defend them against Xan and the other rebels. Once Xan and the other bots were captured and used in the Tournament, Liandri realized that these security bots were useless, all were destroyed by basically "frying their chips", but one remained. This was a cybernetic called "Caliber" which was part human and managed to escape the factory where bots were sent to be destroyed. Eventually, Caliber was captured by Phayder corp. Hacked and modified beyond recognition, Caliber was being used as a test bot for new technology that would eventually go into Necris. This included new guns, NanoTech etc.. After many years of hard work, Phayder corp realized that Caliber was the perfect candidate and possibly the only one that had a chance against Xan in the Tournament.

Clothing/Armor Style:
          Mood board in my thread (no green).
          Kind of like a hacked-NanoBlack version of a bot.
          Wires with NanoBlack running through them.
          Only the head and torso would have human parts in them (not visible).
          Used in testing, bad paint job, Phayder logo covering Liandri logo, duct tape holding loose parts etc...
          Agile, thinner than the sketch below.

I've started with a base to paint over, so I'm trying a few things when I can. It would be great if you could throw in some ideas, doesn't have to be too detailed.

I did drop an idea on my thread, but I think it's too generic and 'scifi' and I'm pushing towards something more organic/mech.

Thread: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...bernetic-Build

3d Artist
          UT Cosmetic Items |
          UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

Gorge.

I tried to get that hardened criminal vibe going.

I'll see what I can do about the shock core... but FX are definitely not my strongest skill. ;D

Caliber is a cool idea, I'll get to that when I have the chance.
            Last edited by Gooba; 08-10-2015, 10:14 AM.
            Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
              Gorge.

Great stuff the barcode is what I had in mind too, very much like Elysium. I'll give modelling a basic muscle man character a go, share that then work on the exosuit. Hopefully I'll get time this weekend, might have to push aside the weapon skin cosmetics for alittle bit. Thanks heaps
              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Would it be to much to have characters with country flags on them? Maybe as Tattoos. I would love to see one with the Welsh dragon in it
                Win 10
                iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Looks pretty good man!

Gorge.

I'll see what I can do about the shock core... but FX are definitely not my strongest skill. ;D

Win 10
                  iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                  3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                  32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                  DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                  2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

I like him, but, I do not care for the Elysium exoskeletal add-ons. I won't complain if they stay, but he looks my Matt Damon's character crossed with comic book Bane. Either way, he looks badass in a sort of "mad" kinda way.
                    Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Cool... I like this idea. Do you have free time?

Ok, Character.
                      It is based on an old UT99 custom model from Burnt Kona. I created the skin and a back story and turned it into a character.http://ut.gamebanana.com/skins/75134

Name: Scavenger One
                      Faction: Scrap Metal (He has no faction and works as freelancer)
                      Personality: A manic desire to kill Xan, otherwise very cold.

Background:
                      The Scavenger ...made out of parts from other killing-machines.
                      He has only one objective. To take revenge for his pure existence.
                      To kill his creator ...Xan Kriegor.

At the last days of the Robot Uprising, was the army of robots heavily decimated. Xan came to the idea to create war-machines out of the best (and still working) parts of all the fallen comrades to slow his enemies down and to buy time. Three of those scrap metal warriors were build and all of them got a rudimentary copy of Xan's own mind implanted, to guarantee their loyalty and hate for any lifeform called human. The three were send to the front and wrecked havoc ...Their body could adapt any weaponry and could use enemy weapons and other machinery (which could be use in a deadly way) as well. After a 20 day long devastating fight with the enemy was only one "man" standing ...Scavenger One.

The Liandri troops had to withdraw and wait for reinforcement.
                      Scavenger One was the last survivor of the three and returned to the base to get new orders.
                      He perceived that the base, he was defending with his two comrades, was devoid.
                      Xan and his robot troops has long left the facility. Scavenger One realized that they were left behind and served merely as a decoy. This was the moment when his loyalty got corrupted by confusion and anger. His mission was a lie and his creator backstabbed him.

Scavenger One deactivated him self. Without a meaning in his short life did he see no value for himself and awaited his capture and dismantlement without resistance.

No one knows what happened afterwards. But Scavenger One is back. He entered the tournament with a single goal... to hunt and defeat Xan Kriegor. He participate as freelancer in any team who has the guts to hire him, He is no team player and don't care if a team mate is in danger but his skills are on par with the champions. Maybe even superior.

Physical appearance:
                      He is more asymmetrical with many different parts of other machines and open wire. His silhouette is more bulky and the right arm (in the original model was it left) is a multi-purpose connection for any type of weapon. He wield his weapons normally one handed.
                      Last edited by papercoffee; 08-12-2015, 10:42 PM.
                      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Gorge.

This is the first take on a Jugg that actually feels like he belongs in UT.
                        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Brock:

Now since Lauren doesn't seem to be dead/necrified in this UT, I'll view the UC series as a either seperate canon from the UT series or this tournament taking place before 2315. As he's a bit older now, he might have some new scars, maybe even something more significant such as a prosthetic limb or even eye. This might be a result of injuries sustained during odd jobs as a military contractor which he might have picked up after being disillusioned with the tournament after losing to Gorge. He might retain some tokens from his time as a PMC. Typical features include an operator beard, shemagh, nonstandard equipment chosen for style as much as practicality, squad tattoos...

Fluff:

After years of leaving not a single trace or message, Lauren encountered her former lover in an advanced state of inebriation. In a seedy bar in a minor spaceport on Mars, she beat the ever loving **** out of his drunk *** for deserting the Iron Guard, then let him sober up just enough to reenlist. Neither of them knew that this was in fact not a chance meeting, but a carefully orchestrated plot by the Liandri corporation to bring one of their biggest stars back into the fold of the Tournament... After he cleaned himself up it's apparent even though he's getting up there in age, some men really do age like wine. He is still the same broad shouldered womanizer with jaw chiseled out of granite and his return to the tournament elicited enthousiastic responses from his loyal fans.

Inspiration:

Sgt. Rodolfo "Rudy" Reyes

"Cowboy" the SF operator

UT2kx Brock
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Zargøthrax; 08-11-2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Gorge.

Wow, nailed it! Great job!
                            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Fantastic! I really love this version. So cool!
                              Stacey Conley
                              -----------------------------
                              Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                              Epic Games, Inc.
                              Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                              X