Idea to Concept Community Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gooba,

You sir, are freaking awesome! Despite the concept looking good, I personally wasn't particularly fond of this character (and his team). Two characters that sticked with me the most thus far is Xan Kriegor, and Sapphire, two characters I'd love to see make a return, especially Xan since he was missing from UT3. Good work man! Keep it up.

Comment

Weapon - Plasma Drill

This weapon is a mixup of the dispersion pistol and the impact hammer. It's a mining tool that works by blasting away rocks with a steam plasma. It has the potential for a lot of cool features, including a pressure tank, compressor, turbine, electrical transformer, spark generator and a lot of sparks, steam and noise. When used on organic targets, the hot steam, plasma and force conspire to cause horrible burns, tissue ablation and ruptured organs.

Firemodes would be weak torus of steam plasma, strong charged wave of steam plasma and moderately strong charged torus of steam plasma. All with pushback and rocket/hammer jump capabilities depending on their damage.

Some inspiration:

Principles

In action

Here's the wiki article about plasma drilling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_deep_drilling_technology

I imagine it would look like a rotary hammer had sex with a spud gun.

Rotary hammer

Spud gun

Here's a video of what the torus would look like:

A little less exiting, but still cool:

Attached Files
      Last edited by Zargøthrax; 08-11-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooba View Post
        Hey folks!

Feel free to re-post any ideas you might have had in other threads.

The main goal is to come up with an idea that might deserve a spot in a mod or the core game as a weapon, utility or character.
        METAL GUARD.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ut_metal_guard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	339313

for characters:

- General info like name, faction, age, personality, body type etc..
        - Specific quirks
        - Any direction for the clothing/armor style
        - History/background on character and faction (if alien, this will help a lot).

You don’t need all of these things to be considered a suggestion, but the more you have the easier it will be for me, since I won’t have to come up with as much stuff for each concept.
        This is the way I've been treating them:
        https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...46-Metal-Guard
        Would love to see an official take on them.
        Last edited by CognizanCe1; 08-11-2015, 01:57 PM.
        3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

Leading off with a weapon:

Name: Cryoarithmetic Carbine
          Function: Fires beams of cold, gradually disabling targets by placing them into permanent icy stasis
          Utility: Repurposed cryoarithmetic engine used for counteracting heat generation by high energy devices (e.g. fusion reactors, spaceship engines, etc.)
          Theme: Perhaps geometric shapes to convey the mathematical nature of the energy generation. Frost and cold are necessary.
          Story (Draft): An adaptation of Martian Conjoiner technology, cryoarithmetic engines perform calculations create a localized field of reduced entropy manifesting as extreme cold. Weaponization of this technology was inevitable, and is produced by directing the anti-entropic field through a targeting prism.

Notes: Ideally one of the things I'd like to do with this weapon is have a mode where multiple beams are sweeping around, rotating and changing focal points in growing and twisting geometric patterns. (Probably a poor description but it would be easier just to draw it.)

For characters, any of the guys I've written up here would be cool to see.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Gorge.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I tried to get that hardened criminal vibe going.

I'll see what I can do about the shock core... but FX are definitely not my strongest skill. ;D

Caliber is a cool idea, I'll get to that when I have the chance.

I love that Gorge, but, he's maybe too cybernetic with all these mechanical parts on his torso.
            I loved what Quoidian did for Rylisa more : more muscles, basic armor...
            https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post150080

I mean, your concept it really nice, but would suit more some necris who need some body improvements with a kind of exoskeleton...
            Or Quotidian's Rylisa has to turn into an Thundercash member, your Genghis concept kinda had the same arms.
            Last edited by toninus; 08-11-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Hey guys. Thanks for all the responses.

Just thought I should note that things like weapons and more complicated characters may take several iterations to nail down. So once it gets to a certain point, it may be better to break the feedback for those concept into separate threads. Otherwise it will get pretty messy/confusing in here with all of the suggestions and feedback.

I will try to link any threads in the first post, so people can find them easily.

Also, just to point out again; It might take a while for me to get around to every idea. There's already like ten suggestions, which will probably take a few weeks if everything goes perfectly (and that never happens), so don't worry if it's taking a long time.

Keep the ideas coming!

Originally posted by toninus View Post
              I love that Gorge, but, he's maybe too cybernetic with all these mechanical parts on his torso.
              I loved what Quoidian did for Rylisa more : more muscles, basic armor...
              https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post150080

I mean, your concept it really nice, but would suit more some necris who need some body improvements with a kind of exoskeleton...
              Or Quotidian's Rylisa has to turn into an Thundercash member, your Genghis concept kinda had the same arms.
              I made the decision to keep the bulky rounded shoulder armor, because I feel like gorge is the most iconic character from his faction, and the shoulders are what makes that happen. So the exo-suit is needed to kinda support that feature, and make it all cohesive. I think removing that would be a detriment to the overall character. For other juggernaut's though, it could work to have less exo-suit and more muscles/armor.

To me, it's all about getting the character and final result to give the most impact, so the individual pieces that make up a character don't have to be really that crazy by themselves, but it should all form together into some type of cohesive personality. It should feel like a real person.
              Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

This is slightly off topic, but since the idea of moving "my" Rylisa over to thundercrash was mentioned, what do people think about shuffling the teams around in general? Or forming new teams around certain characters?

Back on topic (kind of)... I wondered if I could respectfully ask for a paintover of one sketch I posted earlier. I always run out of ideas when it comes to armor/clothing design, and hoped you could give me some ideas.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I don't have a name for him yet, but I figured he'd be a on a new team. A team of misfists - a mix of aliens, synthetics, humans.. sort of like Guardians of the Galaxy or something. No fancy high tech armor and stuff, everything is old and busted and derived from many different sources

Comment

I know that it's my first post in this thread and I'm already breaking the rules, but I really wanted to get a concept from you for one of the two maps I'm working on:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-CTF-Cynosure2
                  https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...P-CTF-Azcanize

All I want is for you to pick a single screenshot from one of those threads and do a paint over for how you envision a "photo realistic" version of that map might look.
                  Here are some screenshots from the original maps as well:

Name:	1eb563de09.jpg
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	339314

Name:	da42167332.jpg
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	339316

Name:	2fc5f3b892.jpg
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	339318

Name:	3eda703c79.jpg
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	339319

Name:	04b9067354.jpg
Size:	591.6 KB
ID:	339320

Name:	50875ffabe.jpg
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	339321
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quotidian View Post
                    This is slightly off topic, but since the idea of moving "my" Rylisa over to thundercrash was mentioned, what do people think about shuffling the teams around in general? Or forming new teams around certain characters?

Back on topic (kind of)... I wondered if I could respectfully ask for a paintover of one sketch I posted earlier. I always run out of ideas when it comes to armor/clothing design, and hoped you could give me some ideas.

I don't have a name for him yet, but I figured he'd be a on a new team. A team of misfists - a mix of aliens, synthetics, humans.. sort of like Guardians of the Galaxy or something. No fancy high tech armor and stuff, everything is old and busted and derived from many different sources
                    I am still trying to mentally wrap my head around what I feel like human society is like in the 24th century and how it gets there, but I really liked this guy too and was thinking of generating some character bios for a faction of characters thematically associated with him.
                    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

that would be awesome!

Comment

IMO he needs to be bulkier. He's genetically boosted to have the strength of a hardcore bodybuilder, and should look like one.
                        The new UT is coming along nicely...
                        Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

A much more efficient way would be to engineer muscle density and motor neurons rather than muscle mass. Knocking out a myostatin gene could generate freakishly big muscles, like in the bulls of a breed called Belgian Blue. This could create relatively sluggish, inflexible hulks. Acceleration and speed would be high, but making turns would be difficult and acrobatics very hard.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Zargøthrax; 08-11-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I like that guy Quotidian, but as said before, I'm not sure it will fits Epic's characters propostions... The robotic arm is a nice idea anyway.
                            Also I'm not sure if a team with various characters is a nice idea. For a solo game where you have time to learn backgrounds of characters why not, but UT teams rather be cohesive and immediately recognizable...

Also about this Gorge concept, I'm curious about how you would make his teamates with a more classic armor and still look like his teamates. But it also could be a nice idea to have, for each team, a leader with a slightly different body who stands out (Gorge, Malcolm for Thundercrash, Xan for robots...) Then other characters should share common torsos with just differences on faces, skinning, arm and leg wear. I was thinking about 3 different torsos for 6 characters, I think it would be enough to give some personality to each of them.

Comment

Caliber

danpaz3d, I wasn't sure how closely you wanted me to follow your drawing, but I deviated quite a bit in order to get all the back story elements in there. It's a pretty fine balance because there are so many different parts to incorporate, but I think it's working pretty well.

Gave him some beefy legs to make him seem more agile, ad you can see the nano-black tubes pumping into the torso and new phayder-corp arm. I also made the underlying security bot theme match the current liandri theme from outpost 23. Hopefully you can imagine this guy walking around as security bot in that facility, before he was turned I mean.

Probably could add more wear and tear, but I didn't want to mess him so bad that you can't see the forms.
                              Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Hey Gooba,

Just gonna throw up links to my character ideas I posted a while back incase anything strikes your fancy (its worth a shot anyway).

The Recovered
                                https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post135297

Old and broken robots given tourney basics to functions. Eight to choose from, each one has a bio write up and a there a team history blurb as well. Only have basic images for a few of them at the bottom of the post, please forgive my aweful art :P They are intenionally meant to be a more primitive looking robot option as opposed to modern Liandri/Other Corporation machines of the era.

Biker Gang type male

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post135298

This guy I call Dante. Late 20s but could pass for older, leather, spikes and chains. Grimey and scruffy criminal look, has lived a tough life on the streets and knows how to survive but still has a certain charasmatic charm to him. Leader of his biker gang, the 'Ravaged Saints'.

Biker Gang type female, but more of a darker/gritty vibe.

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post135973

I call her Ethel. Age unknown. Leathery rider's suit. Spikey iron visor permanately attached over her eyes. Perhaps burnt/welded on. Withered/worn facial features otherwise, with an angry scowl. Silvery white hair, but dirty. She herself has long forgotten her own age, has endured years of torment and mistreatment since childhood. Some believe her to be an old lady, while others believe her to be in her early to mid 20s, with the years of torture only appearing to make her look ancient. The spiked armor on her shins should actually cover the entire shins, knees to ankles. They should be more like spiked knee high combat boots. Likewise with her gauntlets. They should be from wrist to elbow. I envision her mostly in varying shades of grey and black for her armor/outfit with silvery white or sky blue highlighting. Dirt, grime, rust. She has a most unpleasant demeanor, wishing to share her pain with everyone.

Random soldier guy
                                https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post135416

Name: Freidman. Age: 30s+. General look, kinda like a gridiron player crossed with combat armor then some sci fi notions on top. Once a fine soldier, but battle after battle has played on his mind and now he sees everyone and everything as his enemy. Post traumatic stress disorder and a lifetime fear of failure have not been kind to him since he was kicked out of active duty and into the arena.
                                Last edited by mastrok; 08-16-2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X