• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] My UT4 logo derived from HenrikRyosa UTlogo14k logo

UT4Logo1Rev0Flat3DReflectiveRedModelshotGradientBackground

Deviant Art link

Inspired from here: http://ut2341.com/UTlogo14k.jpg

When I saw HenrikRyosa (http://ryosa.com/) UTlogo14k (https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...t-logo-concept), I sketched up my own derivative version back in August 2014, but never CADed it up.

Just found my sketch when I was going through my UT4 development OneNote Notebook, so I thought I'd modeled it up quick to see what it would look like.

Some of the transitions I'll change to G2 smooth, but I wanted it done, so I took a few shortcuts.

It took about 10 minutes to get sketch right, but the sketch had a few sketching "Bad Practices" so it should really be redrawn if I plan to tweak the design more.

I cannot draw, but I can CAD! (Came up with deviant art bio quote while writing this post :P)

This is just a screenshot from Autodesk Inventor 2016, not a proper render.

The other images I'll post are just different views of the same thing with different styles and from different angles.
    Last edited by richardboegli; 11-05-2015, 05:30 PM.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

UT4Logo1Rev0Angle13DReflectiveRedModelshotGradientBackground
    Deviant Art Link

UT4Logo1Rev0FlatOutlineDrawing
    Deviant Art Link

UT4Logo1Rev0Angle13DReflectiveRedDrawing
    Deviant Art Link
    Last edited by richardboegli; 11-05-2015, 05:42 PM. Reason: Added other versions

Comment

its very ugly the Logo

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
        its very ugly the Logo
        Show some manners and create something yourself please. Haven't seen anything yet.

Comment

I like the idea behind richardboegli's changes and could see it working with some tweaking. I asked him if he'd be up for some pointers on things I might do to improve it and he said yes so here is a quick sketchover of some parts as well as other feedback.

-the connecting points for the blades are too frail, so I've thickened them and improved the flow on top blade as an example.
          -curves should stay rounder to avoid the abrupt end of a curve and creation of a sharp angle.
          -the straight line approach to the bottom of the U adds some modernity, but also creates a new problem that it is less identifiable as a U without some other changes. It could be mistaken for a Y almost.
          -I've straightened and shortened the bottom right of the U to compensate a bit, and create consistency with the rest of the U shape. But I don't know if it's the ideal solution.

Overall I'd just focus on finding a nice clean flow. But you've shown that a 4 blade approach is possible and with a little tweaking, could look pretty awesome.
          Attached Files

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
            I like the idea behind richardboegli's changes and could see it working with some tweaking. I asked him if he'd be up for some pointers on things I might do to improve it and he said yes so here is a quick sketchover of some parts as well as other feedback.

-the connecting points for the blades are too frail, so I've thickened them and improved the flow on top blade as an example.
            -curves should stay rounder to avoid the abrupt end of a curve and creation of a sharp angle.
            -the straight line approach to the bottom of the U adds some modernity, but also creates a new problem that it is less identifiable as a U without some other changes. It could be mistaken for a Y almost.
            -I've straightened and shortened the bottom right of the U to compensate a bit, and create consistency with the rest of the U shape. But I don't know if it's the ideal solution.

Overall I'd just focus on finding a nice clean flow. But you've shown that a 4 blade approach is possible and with a little tweaking, could look pretty awesome.
            Thanks for the feedback HenrikRyosa, much appreciated.

This is my first foray into actual logo design and a rough one at best.

I do like the suggestions and I'll have a go at implementing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
              its very ugly the Logo
              ugly in what way?

Comment

- The shape direction changes are too abrupt, making the overall look feel very forced.
                - Sharp angles at the bottom of U look out of place, since rest of U uses curves for these kind of transitions.
                - The connection of the outer shapes to U is too thin
                - The topmost outer element also seems forced with it's connection breaking the shape of U
                - Overall, with 4 symmetrical outer shapes, the design bears too much resemblance to swastika.
                Last edited by _Lynx; 11-05-2015, 07:34 PM.
                "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                - RenegadeRetard

Comment

bear in mind that a swastika in itself is quite benign and has been around for a long time. besides that I think that comparison is a stretch here.

Comment

I like it. Henrik's changes seem pretty good too.
                    Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

bear in mind that a swastika in itself is quite benign and has been around for a long time. besides that I think that comparison is a stretch here.
                      I know, yet there are regions where it's considered offensive or outright banned. What I mean is that there is a certain similarity, and I doubt I'm the only one who will see it. And with the modern trend of looking for things to be offended about and making a big fuss of it, that design is a problem waiting to happen.
                      "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                      - RenegadeRetard

Comment

It is true, humans tend to see patterns and fill in the blanks to add extra context, however I never saw any resemblance to a swastika, and I still don't after staring at it fullscreen. The centre is totally different for a start.
                        The only thing it reminds me of is a cool spiky wheel for a bad-***** bike, or made out of sheet metal it would make an excellent fan cover on a PC case.
                        Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

Gonna weigh in here and say that my mind quickly compared it to a swastika as well before I scrolled down and saw anyone else remark about it.

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
                            - Overall, with 4 symmetrical outer shapes, the design bears too much resemblance to swastika.
                            Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
                            I know, yet there are regions where it's considered offensive or outright banned. What I mean is that there is a certain similarity, and I doubt I'm the only one who will see it. And with the modern trend of looking for things to be offended about and making a big fuss of it, that design is a problem waiting to happen.
                            Originally posted by Dr.Flay View Post
                            It is true, humans tend to see patterns and fill in the blanks to add extra context, however I never saw any resemblance to a swastika, and I still don't after staring at it fullscreen. The centre is totally different for a start.
                            The only thing it reminds me of is a cool spiky wheel for a bad-***** bike, or made out of sheet metal it would make an excellent fan cover on a PC case.
                            Originally posted by Envarion View Post
                            Gonna weigh in here and say that my mind quickly compared it to a swastika as well before I scrolled down and saw anyone else remark about it.
                            You can see it more clearly on the small preview picture of the attachment, where the clear lines blur and merge together... If the game would be shipped with this logo would UT gain the wrong fanbase in Germany.
                            I don't want to see some neo-Nazi wearing a UT4 shirt just because he can use this instead of the banned swastika symbol

Do you know Lonsdale ? ...a very popular brand in the neo-Nazi scene here in Germany ...because you could wear a shirt with it's big branding on the front under a jacket... the "Lo" and "le" would be covered by the jacket.

,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Not that it matters anyway, he was just creating it for his own personal use and wanted to share it.

Comment

Working...
                              X