[Sketchbook] TeriyakiStyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Sketchbook] TeriyakiStyle

I am a little weary of the Skaarj thread (or only working on Skaarj). And I love daydreaming about this stuff! - I'm going to put my sketches and works in progress here. I want to try it all - Characters, Environments, Weapons, Vehicles. If any of it bubbles up to be worth finishing I guess I can pull it out into an appropriate area as a bigger project.

Today I sketched up some robot thumbnails and did some color exploration. Mostly complementaries - Thinking some of these bots and armors could be pretty colorful and sporty. If the environments leaned more toward muted earthtones or greys etc. the characters would really pop.

My drawing skills have fallen by the wayside in place of 3d skills - so I'll be doing speedsculpts in zbrush and environment sketches in maya as well. Maybe some kitbashing of bot parts?

Mostly a study of environment colors.

Plating study rendered in keyshot - working on a master material for bots. More to come thanks for looking

Some thoughts on bots - as I work out a bot arm sketch for Skaarj and build up a little kitbash for bots stuff in general. Rendered in Keyshot.
    Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 06-05-2014, 04:26 AM.

Comment

9 thumbnails - Picking 3 to paint in different color schemes. Highkey Warm, Lowkey Cool. One with a lot of atmosphere, exploring artificial vs natural light etc etc.

Comment

Thought of an orbiting space arena - similar to the surface of the deathstar meets nasa. But with an energy shield above the arena. And all these luxury cruise type spectator ships are suspended around the arena - orbiting a huge Liandri mining planetoid

Shaking the digital painting rust off but getting better. I'm going to lay the next one out in 3d and paintover a render. But for this I wanted to show the popping color/sporty characters in a muted environment. Thanks.

Some camera drone ideas.
        Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 06-06-2014, 06:04 PM.

Comment

You're extremely talented dude!
          Some interesting ideas and concepts in here, that might or might not eventually work for UT. Either way, very good that you're exploring like crazy. This will lead to the best ideas in the end.

Comment

Thanks Voparixly!

Some FX ideas for the Drone I'm working on - wanted to try some UE4 fx stuff

Comment

Bio-Rifle thumbs - will work on a rough 3d model to paintover tomorrow.

Comment

Your art looks great. Love your style, the bio rifle looks awesome. If you have some concept art for maps please hit me up!

Comment

C2 looks like a good fit

The bio is (supposed to be) a short range weapon, so long assualt rifle looks are out, the gun needs a place to store the ammo and a place to charge up shots, plus a large exit point for firing

I'm not a fan of the crazy spacy UT3 bio rifle, it just looks ugly, the previous versions look practical

After all nothing about the bio rifle is spectacular, it's just a gun which shoots blobs of waste...

Comment

I'll vote for C2 too. It have some resemblance to the good ol' goo gun.
                    **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
                    64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
                    READY.

Comment

This thread. Great work man, this is exciting! Love the bio thumbnails...

Comment

The biorifle thumbs look good. My picks for further exploration would be C2 and D5. Nice work on the thread overall, too.
                        MyArtstation
                        @jayoplus

Comment

Thanks much guys!

Did a zbrush blockout and sketched over it. Trying to keep a clean Utility/Medical look. Needs more work but I think I can start modeling certain parts that are strong.

Comment

That's really cool, man! I like E1 and F4 as well!

Personally I feel the silhouette of the Bio Rifle's first person view you sketched resembles a revolver too much. The Bio Rifle always has been a rather bulky gun. Perhaps increase its width a bit? But still, really nice job!

Comment

I agree with Neorej. The first person view looks very non-biorifle and more handgun. I think it should be bulkier.
                              If it's okay with you, I may like to explore ideas with the D5 variation.... just as soon as I build my computer :-)
                              Last edited by jayoplus; 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM.
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                              X