My next logo concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    That's... interesting. I don't have an anti-virus (you don't need those on Linux), but that image for some reason tries redirecting to http://stats-googlestatistics.com/ch...152291cd0d5039 (which, according to Firefox, doesn't actually exist). Weird.
    Hmm, something strange is afoot. Maybe it's caused by solar flares. Hey, solar activity was blamed by many communications companies in the 1980s for all sorts of quality of service issues.
    Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Well, Henrik has find out already, but I must repeat it here: I fell in love with logo n.#47. Ah <3

Comment

**** dude, almost 50 versions. Looking back it's definitely come a long way from "No thanks" to "This is pretty sweet"

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
          Here's an update on the triple blade emblem as well, some shape changes to the U, and I figured I'd render it in an artistic way this time.

deep in 3D it's nice, but not so deep,
          maybe half so, for see the end at bottom also and the form it's well , i like it
          comes from ut 99 logo and this now in 3D, good suggestion, because this is
          the first UT what created from the community (if i right)
          nice !

best regards
          Blacky

Comment

I wouldn't mind having this logo on my desktop.

But I would mind seeing this as the new Unreal font.
            Yours:UT99: UT3:

U and L
            The U and the L are ok, yet I like them with a longer dangerous looking blade.
            Preferably outward, like the original above. The UT3 U and L inward blades look to compressed and restricting.

NREA
            I perceive NREA having a too small font compared to U and L. Secondly, the spikes immediately made me think about the photoshop liquify tool.
            It doesn't look dangerous, like spikes you could cut yourself on, instead it looks like melted chocolate.

General
            The italic font also doesn't sell. Unreal is straightforward, a lean mean killing machine, a pillar in gaming history. Pillars are straight, not crooked.

Lastly, the gradient looks cheap. The UT logo must stand on itself, without extras. Keep It Simple.

Anyway, nice logo though!
            Iterate, iterate, iterate.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ChA1NsAw; 08-13-2014, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
              The italic font also doesn't sell. Unreal is straightforward, a lean mean killing machine, a pillar in gaming history. Pillars are straight, not crooked.
              A pillar in this regard has nothing to do with "upright"columns, but to do with the importance of UT's influence in gaming. One definition of pillar doesn't always equate to another meaning.

Personally, I like the fact that Henrik chose to use a subtle change in perspective. I feel it gives the graphic a sense of action, which possibly includes drama as well as movement. 'Tis why I have been italicizing all my concepts of the Unreal and Tournament fonts, as well as my U logo concept. http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...le-d7t85u6.png
              Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I don't want to rely too heavily on anything like italicizing, but admittedly I've been looking for a way to make it work, as UT has always relied on straight lettering. I know that the font can stand improvement, I just haven't had time to go back and look at it more deeply yet. When I do, that will of course include playing with more "upright" variations.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I don't want to rely too heavily on anything like italicizing
                  Oh, man, that hurts.

Comment

okay...? :P

Comment

okay...? :P
                      Just funnin' with ya. Truthfully, though, do most people care whether or not the designer's intent to use an italicized perspective as an integral part of the logo's meaning versus the simple use of alternate perspective to spice up a blase design? If the viewer doesn't care for italicized lettering, he will have the impression it was used to cover up a weak design (regardless of the designer's intent). So yeah, maybe that pains me a little, but that isn't your fault.

Comment

yeah, I wasn't even thinking about your choices, just stating that I don't want to rely too much on any one particular style of any kind, that could include anything from italicizing to the choice of bold sans serif tournament text with spiked T's, to blades around the U, etc - however looking back, I may have used italics more than I haven't, so that may be a mistake as it also limits the design somewhat - as do any of the other elements I mentioned.

Comment

Personally I think the italics never worked, at least not in the sense of "modernizing" the logo. If you look at how many franchise logos evolved, a lot of them have stayed away from italics and/or moved away from it (the Metal Gear Solid logo comes to mind). Gran Turismo still uses italics, but it makes sense since it conveys the idea of speed, which is the point of a racing game. As for the Unreal Tournament franchise, despite what Crotale says I don't think it conveys anything at all, and therefore I think the purpose of italics in an UT logo is none. The italics here are redundant, worse, more often than not they make the logo look unclean, which contradicts modern design, as modern design strives to be as clean as possible (look at Mortal Kombat X' design direction if you want a prime example of this). Also, in light of the design direction of UT putting a huge emphasis on visual clarity, the italics make no sense either, since reading an italic font requires a fraction more effort than reading a regular one.

I spoke out against the use of italics once a long time ago, but not as elaborated as I did now. Don't take this as an offence guys, while my opinion might be rather strong about it, it's just that - a train of thoughts concerning just one aspect of logo design. I don't mean to degrade the huge amounts of effort you put into designing this stuff, which I obviously commend and respect.
                          Last edited by Joen; 08-13-2014, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Doesn't bother me. You're just saying what you think, in as informative a way as possible - and that's useful.

Comment

Well, I mean, you can say all that now, Henrik (post #341). Hindsight is always more valuable...afterwards. Seriously, you have created several dozen iterations/versions. Why would all of them need to be standard perspective? I think it would be a bit boring if you didn't explore other possibilities. I agree that a design should not be dependent on one aspect or element, but then again, the question becomes, "Is the design dependent on that element or style, or, is that element or style driven by the design?" I hope that makes sense. Not sure how to better word it.

Comment

Yeah, it definitely makes sense. You can't hit if you never shoot, after all. It's just that I have the impression that ideas going with italics have been overly dominating. I guess my post was a very elaborate way to say "I would like to see more ideas using standard fonts".

Comment

Working...
                                X