This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Submitting Content for Unreal Tournament

[NOTE: The submission process was updated in December 2014, and the original post was edited to reflect those changes.]

If you want to submit content to Epic for inclusion in a game or project : Thank you! User participation is awesome.

As the Unreal Tournament project has grown, we've learned that the best way to ensure quality submissions is with a thorough vetting by the community through the forums. And when the UT Marketplace comes online, we'll be doing a strong curation to ensure that all submissions are safe, legal, and functional on the current build of the engine.

So until the marketplace comes online, members of Epic's UT development team will personally request submissions of content that has been previously vetted by the community. As such, all WIP and ideas should be posted in the forums; we'll see you there!

Feedback / Iteration
    Generally, the concepts and content we are using in Unreal Tournament go through an iteration and feedback process involving the community, Chris Perna (the UT Art Director), and our artists and designers on the Unreal Tournament art forums. Start up a thread, post your work, and ask for feedback. Iterate there and once you have something you consider to be final, update the thread and inform the community.

Submitting work in progress files directly to us isn't productive as the person curating the content is simply not going to have time to respond to everyone and give them feedback; community involvement is a vitally important part of our open development process.

Legal (READ ME!)
    When you submit your work, you must include one of the following lines of text in your email or we cannot accept the submission. Just copy and paste and you're good to go:

If you ARE an Unreal Engine 4 subscriber, include this line:
    “I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).”

If you are NOT an Unreal Engine 4 subscriber, include this line:
    “I agree that this content constitutes a User Contribution under the Epic Games Terms of Service ( http://epicgames.com/tou )."

When you submit something, be sure to provide the following pieces of information:

a) Your name (meaning, how you'd like to be credited)
    b) Your preferred contact email address (if different from the one you're sending that email from).

And that’s it!

FAQ

I'll keep this section updated as questions pop up and seem worth covering.

Q: Should I submit work in progress content?
    A: Ideally, no. Post WIP work in the forums and iterate with the community on it. Only submit work that you feel is done and ready to go into the game.

Q: Which file format should I submit my art in?
    A: That's really up to you, however the more "raw" the source files are the better chance there is that we'll be able to successfully use the content in the game. FBX files are fine, for example, but we'd also like you to include the Max/Maya/ZBrush files you used to generate that FBX. The same goes for texture files - TGA is usable, but including your original PSDs would be ideal!

Q: What are the specs for user submitted content?
    A: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/User_S...Specifications

Q: How do I submit content to Epic?
    A: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Submitting_User_Content

Q : Can I change my art submission later on and re-submit it?
    Q : You CAN but it's best to avoid large scale changes once you've submitted something that's been accepted. Other users may be using your content in their levels and deleting meshes or changing their shapes radically could break other peoples content. So, the rule is : be considerate. If you want to change a mesh in your pack, maybe add a new mesh to the pack instead of replacing an existing one.
    Last edited by Entropy; 01-16-2015, 07:26 PM.

Great to see this post!

I got a question though: How exactly can one summerize the difference for subscribers and nonsubscribers that makes paragraph c) required if I'm submitting (for example) just a raw model in e.g. *.fbx-file format and not a map file or alike that actually requires UE4 to be created?

While at it: What is the preferred file format for raw models? I'd just assume *.fbx due to its popularity and support in the engine, but it would be nice to have it confirmed either way.
    S l y .

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
      Great to see this post!

I got a question though: How exactly can one summerize the difference for subscribers and nonsubscribers that makes paragraph c) required if I'm submitting (for example) just a raw model in e.g. *.fbx-file format and not a map file or alike that actually requires UE4 to be created?

While at it: What is the preferred file format for raw models? I'd just assume *.fbx due to its popularity and support in the engine, but it would be nice to have it confirmed either way.
      Section C is necessary to give Epic the rights to use the submitted content in Unreal Tournament. The difference is really just that we have different legal language for subscribers vs non-subscribers. Same end result just different paths to get there!

I hadn't fully thought through file formats but I'll update the FAQ to say something. FBX files are fine. MAX/Maya files are fine too. The more raw the source file, the better chance we have of being able to fix or tweak things here rather than coming back to the original artist for that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenM View Post

I hadn't fully thought through file formats but I'll update the FAQ to say something. FBX files are fine. MAX/Maya files are fine too. The more raw the source file, the better chance we have of being able to fix or tweak things here rather than coming back to the original artist for that stuff.
        Could we also send you .blend files ? Some contributors use Blender.

Comment

Originally posted by mahri726 View Post
          Could we also send you .blend files ? Some contributors use Blender.
          Sure, as long as there's also an FBX file in there. We don't use Blender here and we don't really have expertise with it. However, having the source file around would still be handy in case we need it for something.

Comment

I see you are talking about this .fbx. Since I do not work with Maya/Max I just know it is for skeletal meshes(from what I read). In the first part of the post I read content so I am a bit confused if this is just a way to contribute skeletal meshes and levels(I noticed the other post) or environment too.

I can't do anything atm anyway since my PC is broken, I am just asking to clear it out.

Comment

dage5, *.fbx can also be imported as static meshes.
              S l y .

Comment

Out of curiosity, how would I go about sharing content with other UE4 users? I have imported the UT2004 weapon models into UE4 and I'm currently implementing them by building upon the existing weapon framework so how do I allow others to see my work? Do I have to only send the .uasset files or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                  dage5, *.fbx can also be imported as static meshes.
                  Explains everything! Thanks .

Comment

Originally posted by Ringwood View Post
                    Out of curiosity, how would I go about sharing content with other UE4 users? I have imported the UT2004 weapon models into UE4 and I'm currently implementing them by building upon the existing weapon framework so how do I allow others to see my work? Do I have to only send the .uasset files or something?
                    Typically, yes. They would have to drop the files into their project in the same folder hierarchy as you have and restart the editor. It SHOULD "just work".

One way to go is to use the "Migrate" feature which dumps out your asset and all of it's dependencies into a folder on your hard drive. That way you won't miss anything by accident.

Comment

Great!
                      Nice to see this getting started.
                      I have one question about the maps. If I am working on a map and have custom assets, can I:

1) Submit the map when it is done? I guess not, and it should be asked in the level design forum.
                      2) Submit the assets which have been done when the map has not been done yet? I feel this is tricky because sometimes at the last phase of the map work, the "finished" assets will be polished and debugged. So how do you guys think of it?
                      [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

Originally posted by chonglee View Post
                        Great!
                        Nice to see this getting started.
                        I have one question about the maps. If I am working on a map and have custom assets, can I:

1) Submit the map when it is done? I guess not, and it should be asked in the level design forum.
                        2) Submit the assets which have been done when the map has not been done yet? I feel this is tricky because sometimes at the last phase of the map work, the "finished" assets will be polished and debugged. So how do you guys think of it?
                        Well, I think in that case you really have two submissions. You have the map and you have the assets - I assume we're talking about environment art and/or materials here?

We don't have a good way of relating things together - like, "this map requires environment pack X to be loaded" - but the basic editor error checking will tell you that it's missing at least if you don't grab it.

I think the solution here that would avoid the most pain would be to finish up your map and submit the asset pack. Once that's accepted into the build, submit the map. That way, you know that everything the map needs is already in the build and you're ready to go.

That's just off the top of my head and that may prove to be a terrible idea. But if it turns out that way, we'll try something else. :P

Good question!

Comment

I think I agree with the idea Warren proposes. If part of the goal is that levels that ship with the base game have some form of cohesive visuals, then the assets that go in the levels should be cohesive. Therefore, I think it may not be worth it to have map specific assets that are checked in with the map.

The way proposed above will mean that the assets you submit can be used across multiple levels as opposed to just the one. :-)
                          It's good that you brought it up though.
                          MyArtstation
                          @jayoplus

Comment

So what about concept art and logo work?
                            Do we just email what we've created here and email a link with that section c part?

Or will Epic just go through the forums and cherry pick those that they've liked when it's time to make characters, add logos etc.?
                            3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

In order for us to be able to legally use your concept, you'll have to submit it through this channel. Otherwise we won't get a legal clearance from the artist.

Comment

Working...
                              X