UT-Logo_Combination-of-old-and-new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] UT-Logo_Combination-of-old-and-new

in my opinion the logo of ut changed to a clean and nice way but since i rly liked the ut classic design as well i decided to play a bit around with that and came up with this one, if someone feels like playin around with what i've done here you may post it on my thread please.

thats my idea:

Original:

it also works with the ut3 iconic logo design i tested it just for fun.

ut3 original:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Unreal-Tournament-III-icon1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	352906

ut3-icon, with my U layout:

Name:	Unreal-Tournament-III-icon2.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	352907
    Attached Files
    Last edited by darky01; 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM.

More conservatively applied effects have greater impact. I'd clean up that lower left portion so that you have an actual flow in the design. Each piece has to complement the rest of the design, not just to make it look "unreal." This is an issue I have been struggling with over the last month.
    Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
      More conservatively applied effects have greater impact. I'd clean up that lower left portion so that you have an actual flow in the design. Each piece has to complement the rest of the design, not just to make it look "unreal." This is an issue I have been struggling with over the last month.
      i've already mentioned above thats pretty much the best i can come up with tho i'd like to see someone who's actually working on either my design or make something based on my design and post it here.

i've tweaked it a little on the lower edge but only the one where i decreased the curve thats goin "inside" is looking rly good, here the possible options i saw.

Name:	work-over-ulogo3.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	329456Click image for larger version

Name:	work-over-ulogo4.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	329457Click image for larger version

Name:	work-over-ulogo5.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	329458
      Last edited by darky01; 07-06-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

lately i've read on another thread that the logo is supposed to be "rounded with soft edges" or somewhat like this, so i more or less tried to create something out of my logo from above lol

there it is xD

PS:
        this is not meant serious lol.
        imo its not fitting into UT genre.
        Last edited by darky01; 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Epic did not specifically ask for "rounded with soft edges" per se'. Epic's art director, Chris Perna, asked for several things:

1. Lose the beveling treatment
          2. Update the "TOURNAMENT" font
          3. Update the circle U to a more modern, clean and sleek design.

Nowhere in his post does Chris state that he wants to modify or change the "Unreal" text or font itself. It does make sense that to change the U shape you would want the font to follow a similar path. One thing Chris mentions is keeping much of the DNA, that identifying set of elements unique to Unreal Tournament. I suppose it is the designer's take on how to incorporate those elements, or how to best portray that DNA, in the updated design.

Rounded with soft edges doesn't mean it has to be a serpentine shape with blurred boundaries. It means the shape must be more fluid than not. It can still have points, but they will be fewer and should not impede the flow of the design. You get that by using longer lines and broader curves. Take my own offering as an example. I added in the side spikes because several longtime UT community members requested they be added. I prefer the sans spike version better, but I wanted to accommodate the oldskoolers. While the sans version is very clean, the spiked version does have a decent tradeoff for cleanliness in that it is unmistakably Unreal.

Spiked Version: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...le-d7p15bn.png
          Sans Version: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...le-d7phq73.jpg
          Last edited by Crotale; 07-06-2014, 04:37 PM.
          Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

oh, thanks for posting the original source. i only had a somewhat hint from someone else on the forums in one of those endless art threads well, lets think of something beyond ut2k4 something "modern" maybe i can give some idea as well =D

Comment

worked on something else now something that fits well into the circle actually lol

there it is:

and here a mirrored version because i think it looks kinda cool too xD

Comment

That is far too busy in every sense of the word. Upon viewing that shape alone, most people would ask about what it is supposed to be. Seeing the U in the midst of all those spikey parts is a difficult task. You have as many as 16 spiked points on your designs. It's the epitome of overload. If I may suggest, try culling that back to maybe a limit of five or so. Trying to make the design fit into (or in this case, inside) a specific shape isn't necessary. Look at Henrik's circle U. He incorporated use of two semi-circles in lieu of a solid circle because his U breaches the circle. I think it looks pretty slick and has far more character than a simple circle.

The credo for designing the new UT is one of visual clarity and fidelity. You begin by creating a base that uses less clutter and noise. The logo should reflect this philosophy, all while maintaining some of the Unreal Tournament DNA.

Comment

Working...
                X