Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT Lore Development.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Well, we have a couple of factions that need to have some sort of character and background. The Necris and Phayder are already being worked on I believe - what about Xan and the corrupt?

    I do like the idea that they're in some way sentient and aware of their situation but, their robotic nature "corrupts" them so they're not exactly human, so they're slaves for all eternity in this tournament.

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by Graydar View Post
      Well, we have a couple of factions that need to have some sort of character and background. The Necris and Phayder are already being worked on I believe - what about Xan and the corrupt?

      I do like the idea that they're in some way sentient and aware of their situation but, their robotic nature "corrupts" them so they're not exactly human, so they're slaves for all eternity in this tournament.
      I think Jim gave the full timeline on some other post, which involved The Corrupt as well. Basically it's all about the robot-uprising. The moment when the robots actually become sentient somehow. Until then they were... what? security bots? Mining bots? Doesn't really matter, we can make up whatever background we want for them.

      In UT99 his description says that he's actually the CEO of Liandri and he's wearing a special suit, rather than being a robot. If we look at the timeline though, it says that Xan was actually leading the 2283 robot uprising and he was the hardest-to-reprogram robot from the Corrupt. After gaining control over them (ending the revolution) they were all put in the Tournament. Keep in mind, the revolution was quelled quietly by a small commando team and as a result the general public didn't even know about the incident, which is why they might think Xan is actually Jerl Liandri in power armor.

      It's weird, because some of the gibs of Xan in UT99 are actually bloody. Xan Mk I and Xan Mk II-III might be entirely different characters too.
      Check out my work!
      | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
      | Localization

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by InVader View Post
        I think Jim gave the full timeline on some other post, which involved The Corrupt as well. Basically it's all about the robot-uprising. The moment when the robots actually become sentient somehow. Until then they were... what? security bots? Mining bots? Doesn't really matter, we can make up whatever background we want for them.

        In UT99 his description says that he's actually the CEO of Liandri and he's wearing a special suit, rather than being a robot. If we look at the timeline though, it says that Xan was actually leading the 2283 robot uprising and he was the hardest-to-reprogram robot from the Corrupt. After gaining control over them (ending the revolution) they were all put in the Tournament. Keep in mind, the revolution was quelled quietly by a small commando team and as a result the general public didn't even know about the incident, which is why they might think Xan is actually Jerl Liandri in power armor.

        It's weird, because some of the gibs of Xan in UT99 are actually bloody. Xan Mk I and Xan Mk II-III might be entirely different characters too.
        I believe they were developped as advanced mining robots (Liandri first business), but it's more than possible they also conceived them so they might be used as a military force as well. A multi-purpose robot with advanced AI capabilities would give a huge advantage to Liandri.
        And they succesfully achieved that goal... A little too well. Leading to the Robot Uprising. What were their goal after the uprising is unknow, and we'll probably never have any light about, as they were stopped and reprogrammed.

        So yeah it might be that there's two "Xan". The robot one that led the actual rebellion might have served as a template to create an advanced suit of armor for Jerl Liandri, which battled in the first tournament and won. After that, Malcom join the Tournament and take the title of Champion of the Tournament. It might be that Jerl decided to stop the developpment of the armor (and maybe other tasks asked for his attention), yet continue the "Xan" project by using the original robot. However they never told anything about this, and that combined with the public being unaware of the uprising led to the belief that Jerl is still competing.

        Basically Xan should represent the pinnacle of Liandri technology. But they keep his true identity secret both for the popularity and to confuse any competitor.

        I think that might be the best way to settle this. Otherwise you'll always have that Robot VS Human conflict. And who knows ? Maybe one day Jerl will come back as Xan ?

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
          I believe they were developped as advanced mining robots (Liandri first business), but it's more than possible they also conceived them so they might be used as a military force as well. A multi-purpose robot with advanced AI capabilities would give a huge advantage to Liandri.
          And they succesfully achieved that goal... A little too well. Leading to the Robot Uprising. What were their goal after the uprising is unknow, and we'll probably never have any light about, as they were stopped and reprogrammed.

          So yeah it might be that there's two "Xan". The robot one that led the actual rebellion might have served as a template to create an advanced suit of armor for Jerl Liandri, which battled in the first tournament and won. After that, Malcom join the Tournament and take the title of Champion of the Tournament. It might be that Jerl decided to stop the developpment of the armor (and maybe other tasks asked for his attention), yet continue the "Xan" project by using the original robot. However they never told anything about this, and that combined with the public being unaware of the uprising led to the belief that Jerl is still competing.

          Basically Xan should represent the pinnacle of Liandri technology. But they keep his true identity secret both for the popularity and to confuse any competitor.

          I think that might be the best way to settle this. Otherwise you'll always have that Robot VS Human conflict. And who knows ? Maybe one day Jerl will come back as Xan ?
          UNLESS Jerl started the uprising himself, because uhhh... he got fed up with how the ruling board was going for whatever reason?
          Check out my work!
          | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
          | Localization

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by InVader View Post
            UNLESS Jerl started the uprising himself, because uhhh... he got fed up with how the ruling board was going for whatever reason?


            It's a little stretched out, don't you think ?

            I think what might as well add to the confusion about "robot or not ?" is that we never got a clear distinction beetwen what is cyborg or what is robotic. Especially beetwen The Corrupt and Blood Fist.
            Because one theory that might exist as well is simply that Jerl became an advanced cyborg, and used Xan as his new body ?

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
              I think what might as well add to the confusion about "robot or not ?" is that we never got a clear distinction beetwen what is cyborg or what is robotic. Especially beetwen The Corrupt and Blood Fist.
              There's also the Metal Guard. Some of it's members are re-built half-robot (much like Shepard in Mass Effect), brainwashed lunatics created by Xan to help him win the tournament.

              Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
              Because one theory that might exist as well is simply that Jerl became an advanced cyborg, and used Xan as his new body ?
              Soooo... this guy?

              Check out my work!
              | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
              | Localization

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by InVader View Post
                There's also the Metal Guard. Some of it's members are re-built half-robot (much like Shepard in Mass Effect), brainwashed lunatics created by Xan to help him win the tournament.
                Well the Metal Guard are explicitely explained has cyborgs, or at least humans with robotics augments. It isn't as clear for The Corrupt and Blood Fist.
                Originally posted by InVader View Post
                Soooo... this guy?

                Yup, that's even what I have in mind when typing. Though I'm sure he isn't the only one in that case.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Hello my nämen is Eric

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X