• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hello my nämen is Eric

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by InVader View Post
    There's also the Metal Guard. Some of it's members are re-built half-robot (much like Shepard in Mass Effect), brainwashed lunatics created by Xan to help him win the tournament.
    Well the Metal Guard are explicitely explained has cyborgs, or at least humans with robotics augments. It isn't as clear for The Corrupt and Blood Fist.
    Soooo... this guy?

Yup, that's even what I have in mind when typing. Though I'm sure he isn't the only one in that case.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
    I think what might as well add to the confusion about "robot or not ?" is that we never got a clear distinction beetwen what is cyborg or what is robotic. Especially beetwen The Corrupt and Blood Fist.
    There's also the Metal Guard. Some of it's members are re-built half-robot (much like Shepard in Mass Effect), brainwashed lunatics created by Xan to help him win the tournament.

Because one theory that might exist as well is simply that Jerl became an advanced cyborg, and used Xan as his new body ?
    Soooo... this guy?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UNLESS Jerl started the uprising himself, because uhhh... he got fed up with how the ruling board was going for whatever reason?

It's a little stretched out, don't you think ?

I think what might as well add to the confusion about "robot or not ?" is that we never got a clear distinction beetwen what is cyborg or what is robotic. Especially beetwen The Corrupt and Blood Fist.
    Because one theory that might exist as well is simply that Jerl became an advanced cyborg, and used Xan as his new body ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I believe they were developped as advanced mining robots (Liandri first business), but it's more than possible they also conceived them so they might be used as a military force as well. A multi-purpose robot with advanced AI capabilities would give a huge advantage to Liandri.
    And they succesfully achieved that goal... A little too well. Leading to the Robot Uprising. What were their goal after the uprising is unknow, and we'll probably never have any light about, as they were stopped and reprogrammed.

So yeah it might be that there's two "Xan". The robot one that led the actual rebellion might have served as a template to create an advanced suit of armor for Jerl Liandri, which battled in the first tournament and won. After that, Malcom join the Tournament and take the title of Champion of the Tournament. It might be that Jerl decided to stop the developpment of the armor (and maybe other tasks asked for his attention), yet continue the "Xan" project by using the original robot. However they never told anything about this, and that combined with the public being unaware of the uprising led to the belief that Jerl is still competing.

Basically Xan should represent the pinnacle of Liandri technology. But they keep his true identity secret both for the popularity and to confuse any competitor.

I think that might be the best way to settle this. Otherwise you'll always have that Robot VS Human conflict. And who knows ? Maybe one day Jerl will come back as Xan ?
    UNLESS Jerl started the uprising himself, because uhhh... he got fed up with how the ruling board was going for whatever reason?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think Jim gave the full timeline on some other post, which involved The Corrupt as well. Basically it's all about the robot-uprising. The moment when the robots actually become sentient somehow. Until then they were... what? security bots? Mining bots? Doesn't really matter, we can make up whatever background we want for them.

In UT99 his description says that he's actually the CEO of Liandri and he's wearing a special suit, rather than being a robot. If we look at the timeline though, it says that Xan was actually leading the 2283 robot uprising and he was the hardest-to-reprogram robot from the Corrupt. After gaining control over them (ending the revolution) they were all put in the Tournament. Keep in mind, the revolution was quelled quietly by a small commando team and as a result the general public didn't even know about the incident, which is why they might think Xan is actually Jerl Liandri in power armor.

It's weird, because some of the gibs of Xan in UT99 are actually bloody. Xan Mk I and Xan Mk II-III might be entirely different characters too.
    I believe they were developped as advanced mining robots (Liandri first business), but it's more than possible they also conceived them so they might be used as a military force as well. A multi-purpose robot with advanced AI capabilities would give a huge advantage to Liandri.
    And they succesfully achieved that goal... A little too well. Leading to the Robot Uprising. What were their goal after the uprising is unknow, and we'll probably never have any light about, as they were stopped and reprogrammed.

So yeah it might be that there's two "Xan". The robot one that led the actual rebellion might have served as a template to create an advanced suit of armor for Jerl Liandri, which battled in the first tournament and won. After that, Malcom join the Tournament and take the title of Champion of the Tournament. It might be that Jerl decided to stop the developpment of the armor (and maybe other tasks asked for his attention), yet continue the "Xan" project by using the original robot. However they never told anything about this, and that combined with the public being unaware of the uprising led to the belief that Jerl is still competing.

Basically Xan should represent the pinnacle of Liandri technology. But they keep his true identity secret both for the popularity and to confuse any competitor.

I think that might be the best way to settle this. Otherwise you'll always have that Robot VS Human conflict. And who knows ? Maybe one day Jerl will come back as Xan ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Graydar View Post
    Well, we have a couple of factions that need to have some sort of character and background. The Necris and Phayder are already being worked on I believe - what about Xan and the corrupt?

I do like the idea that they're in some way sentient and aware of their situation but, their robotic nature "corrupts" them so they're not exactly human, so they're slaves for all eternity in this tournament.
    I think Jim gave the full timeline on some other post, which involved The Corrupt as well. Basically it's all about the robot-uprising. The moment when the robots actually become sentient somehow. Until then they were... what? security bots? Mining bots? Doesn't really matter, we can make up whatever background we want for them.

In UT99 his description says that he's actually the CEO of Liandri and he's wearing a special suit, rather than being a robot. If we look at the timeline though, it says that Xan was actually leading the 2283 robot uprising and he was the hardest-to-reprogram robot from the Corrupt. After gaining control over them (ending the revolution) they were all put in the Tournament. Keep in mind, the revolution was quelled quietly by a small commando team and as a result the general public didn't even know about the incident, which is why they might think Xan is actually Jerl Liandri in power armor.

It's weird, because some of the gibs of Xan in UT99 are actually bloody. Xan Mk I and Xan Mk II-III might be entirely different characters too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, we have a couple of factions that need to have some sort of character and background. The Necris and Phayder are already being worked on I believe - what about Xan and the corrupt?

I do like the idea that they're in some way sentient and aware of their situation but, their robotic nature "corrupts" them so they're not exactly human, so they're slaves for all eternity in this tournament.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ashenwraith View Post
    The Running Man and Blade Runner take place on mostly normal Earth with humans.

So many people claim to be fans of these games but their recollection seems spotty at best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18Va6bl1Q4
    Im not sure theres a point in there somewhere, so far in this UT I havent seen alot of Alien have you? The Necris and Skaarj are very humanoid and all the structures still look very human architecture. Total Recall and Blade Runner were meant to be linked, Minory Report came out of Total Recall 2 or somethin, in Blade Runner they do go to other planets you never really see it, maybe I should have said the lesser known Tex Murphy instead.

The Running Man is what I envision UT to become if it ever took itself seriously, a game about a bloodsport with over the top commentators (and desensitized crowds), action hero styled characters etc, more SP orientated obviously. UT2003 glamorized it because Malcolm was ontop of his game winning then Gorge knocks him down a peg, the game gets darker in UT2004 and the return of Xan, the death of Damarus. Trust me, I play the games... The original seemed darker to me, especially in regards to character bios, the follow ups were all more sports orientated which is fine but I think theres room for both, you go from the minor leagues into the majors and then you probably filter people online or let em continue offline maybe even with bot ghosts of their friends to improve the AI game.

Last edited by MonsOlympus; 05-06-2016, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    I would have said The Running Man myself, or Blade Runner because of the more urban intro (no not Keith ) but sure I can see the WWE connection. Even fighting games have stories though, it might be the same boring formula each time that doesnt mean its not there, b-grade underground fighting ring movies just keep getting made so they must be popular, look at something like Spartacus... Wildly popular among adults because it doesnt treat them like children, its the same with GoT. I wish this UT wasnt e-sports focused because then we could capture a market outside of that, one thats ripe for the picking, adults play games too, we dont just play war games either some of us have broader tastes.

I want UT to play on its strength, it doesnt need to be AAA cuz its entirely indie, it can be a b-grade action movie targeted at adults who want more thrills. Right now it doesnt have much aura, its just a shooter, I think it needs story to set the scene and without that it just feels like some weird intergalatic cartoon.
    The Running Man and Blade Runner take place on mostly normal Earth with humans.

So many people claim to be fans of these games but their recollection seems spotty at best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b18Va6bl1Q4

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ashenwraith View Post
    Unreal has a story, but UT is like WWE meets Total Recall
    I would have said The Running Man myself, or Blade Runner because of the more urban intro (no not Keith ) but sure I can see the WWE connection. Even fighting games have stories though, it might be the same boring formula each time that doesnt mean its not there, b-grade underground fighting ring movies just keep getting made so they must be popular, look at something like Spartacus... Wildly popular among adults because it doesnt treat them like children, its the same with GoT. I wish this UT wasnt e-sports focused because then we could capture a market outside of that, one thats ripe for the picking, adults play games too, we dont just play war games either some of us have broader tastes.

I want UT to play on its strength, it doesnt need to be AAA cuz its entirely indie, it can be a b-grade action movie targeted at adults who want more thrills. Right now it doesnt have much aura, its just a shooter, I think it needs story to set the scene and without that it just feels like some weird intergalatic cartoon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unreal has a story, but UT is like WWE meets Total Recall

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah Im feeling ya, it wouldnt surprise me if they want to kick it out the door, one possibility that crossed my mind was the intent was always to pass the game to the community but thats wishful thinking or a nightmare depending on whichever way you look at it.
    Oh, that would definitively kill the game. Right now the wishful thinking that the game will eventually become grand is the only thing what's keeping the few die-hard fans creating content for this game. Even so, it's super slow - granted, that fact that we are slow is because we don't have deadlines. Artists always find fault in their own work and unless they have a deadline they keep reworking it until it's perfect (that me -.-).

I know Epic is entirely capable of making awesome games and I do think we blame developers for publishers sometimes, I thought Epic caught a bit of a raw deal with Midway over their time together, especially compared to the job Microsoft did with Gears and I dont even particularly like MS much. One thing that always struck a cord with me though was how the developers kinda blamed the tardy release of UT for its success, that they had more time to polish the game so it would really surprise me if the end goal was release this year and then its all over for UT.

Then again Gears really showed Epic didnt have to be focused on Unreal, that they could make successful IP and not just sequels, UT is kinda just another notch on the belt now, I do wonder what Unreal Warfare would have been, if XMP could have gone further or Tribes Vs future if it wasnt Ascend. Publishers can get in the way of good IP and thats not happening here so who knows whats next, I wish we did even remotely.
    I wouldn't really call UT "another one" right now. Arena shooters are really not what they used to be anymore and are rather unpopular, but the name of UT is strong. Toxikk has 1k+ reviews overall in steam early access, 83% positive, yet the servers are still dead. We are not even on Steam, but we can keep our servers populated, which is cool.

If it gets released as an incomplete mess though, that's practically a death sentence. I don't think any of the current content creators will be motivated enough to try and save the game after that. Given that nobody is really pushing Epic towards release (other than themselves), it's a surprising decision to make for sure. Even if Epic would pull resources and workforce from Fortnite (which might have happened already) and Paragon (which will never happen) they can't possibly create and polish vehicles/vehicle game modes and maps by the end of this year.
    Last edited by InVader; 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    IF lore will get any attention at all, that is. I know I would pay good money for the episodic DLC developed by Epic internally, taking us to all kinds of times and places in the Unreal Universe, fighting of monsters in good ol' MonsterHunt gamemodes, explaining some lore about how it all happened, getting a closer look at all the races...

Regardless of the grand visions we all had for this game, I get the feeling this game will remain a simple little online arena shooter with no focus on the lore whatsoever. Especially if they want to release the game this year (as unbelievable that sounds).
    Yeah Im feeling ya, it wouldnt surprise me if they want to kick it out the door, one possibility that crossed my mind was the intent was always to pass the game to the community but thats wishful thinking or a nightmare depending on whichever way you look at it.

I know Epic is entirely capable of making awesome games and I do think we blame developers for publishers sometimes, I thought Epic caught abit of a raw deal with Midway over their time together, especially compared to the job Microsoft did with Gears and I dont even particularly like MS much. One thing that always struck a cord with me though was how the developers kinda blamed the tardy release of UT for its success, that they had more time to polish the game so it would really surprise me if the end goal was release this year and then its all over for UT.

Then again Gears really showed Epic didnt have to be focused on Unreal, that they could make successful IP and not just sequels, UT is kinda just another notch on the belt now, I do wonder what Unreal Warfare would have been, if XMP could have gone further or Tribes Vs future if it wasnt Ascend. Publishers can get in the way of good IP and thats not happening here so who knows whats next, I wish we did even remotely.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Where are we at with this, I mean I heard reboot and that the lore is being rewritten... Not much past that.

I think people are focusing too much on details and @Gregoris initial post was on the ball in terms of summing up and amalgamating the UT lore, there is no reason the Necris should be vague after what 5 full games? I get it they are mysterious but we are here to develop not ducking possible spoilers because we are in too deep for that sort of thing. I do think revealling the Necris is needed, that they dont seem as sinister as they should because of the lack of lore.

Thats not to say I think it should be spread thick like chunky peanut butter, just play it smooth you know, rub alittle funk on it
    IF lore will get any attention at all, that is. I know I would pay good money for the episodic DLC developed by Epic internally, taking us to all kinds of times and places in the Unreal Universe, fighting of monsters in good ol' MonsterHunt gamemodes, explaining some lore about how it all happened, getting a closer look at all the races...

Regardless of the grand visions we all had for this game, I get the feeling this game will remain a simple little online arena shooter with no focus on the lore whatsoever. Especially if they want to release the game this year (as unbelievable that sounds).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X