Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquit Hit Points (health vial models)

[EDIT]

Decided to pick this up again. I fleshed out a few ideas for the 25 health. The main question is whether it should slot into a base, or hover over it. I'm leaning towards hovering like the current (UT3) one does, for a couple reasons: it makes them more visible in general, and the cross shape can be visible in the silhouette when seen from the side.

more edit: I redid the crappy designs and fleshed out a slightly-better one with the same general shape. I'll probably still fiddle with some of the details/shape.

New Health Pack (View in 3D)

more edit: some ingame models (Trying out the take-exorbitantly-large-screenies feature and getting some weird distortion on bubbles not visible when viewing normally):

Current tri counts:

KEG: 4926
    UT3's Keg: 2076

25 HEALTH: 2028
    UT3's 25 health: 2030

VIAL (shown in foreground): 1060
    UT3's Vial: 572
    Last edited by Shivan Hunter; 09-24-2015, 10:23 PM.
    [Health pickup models]

2004 > 99 > 3. It's just simple math :^)

Like it beter than the old beer berels lol ^^ (Hey nothing ageanst beerr in berels HAHAHA but they take too much place)
    bit of lightglow so you can see it beter in the dark or from far..
    Last edited by LOSER_HA_HA; 02-01-2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LOSER_HA_HA View Post
      Like it beter than the old beer berels lol ^^ (Hey nothing ageanst beerr in berels HAHAHA but they take too much place)
      bit of lightglow so you can see it beter in the dark or from far..

But, they were called the "keg o'health" for a reason.
      Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I really like #1 and #2
        :|

Comment

I like the idea of them being a simple "vial" like in UT99 compared to UT3 where they look too high-tech.
          Last edited by Paradox UT; 02-02-2015, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm definitely staying away from... whatever UT3's model was supposed to be. I might make a couple lowpoly final versions so they can be tested in-engine - probably based on 1, modified 2, and 5 but idk yet. I like 1, I've gotten support for 2 and 5 has some nice minimalism. I'm also playing around with a particle emitter for the bubbles but that's a long way from looking decent.
            [Health pickup models]

Comment

These are pretty neat!

I like how you've kept the feel of my designs while mixing them up a bit to create new ones! That's just what I've been hoping people would do.
              I agree with you, the vial within the design should be the focus, after all it is called health vial for a reason, isn't it? It's definitely hard to recognize the vial in the UT3 design.

As for the models you have made, I really like the first one the most as well, it's balanced, clean and techy/modern, yet still clearly a vial.
              Some feedback though: As the top part is open, I think the injector might not be necessary there (by that I just mean the glass tube with the white end cap on its side, the rest is all fine and the design would feel empty without those bits) since it seems like a design that would require you to drink the liquid through the top part.

Now about the caps: Out of the two cap designs you have presented at the bottom of your post, the left one (the higher cap of the two) looks best imo. It's more interesting in its design and less cylindric than the other one when closed.
              I'm not sure whether the minimalist designs of the vials will ever make it into the game though, since we're at a much higher graphics standard than UT99 and there is always the demand to make use of that (although still in a visually clean way of course) to keep one consistent level of detail in meshes, so stylistically, there might be a too big difference to other designs like weapons as it is very simple and quite empty looking, but it is still nice that you've provided them as an option!

Of course it is Epic who will have the final say on these.
              That being said, I've linked your thread in the "New models for Pickups?"-thread that Jim opened as a call-out to the community in the hopes that he'll give you some feedback on those as well!

Keep up the great work! Would be neat to see those with detailled textures and in the engine.
              S l y .

Comment

Love the simplicity of the third and the fourth one, just wish they had some cool stuff around the center like in the first concept

EDIT: really cool that we can view these in 3D!
                Last edited by Avalanche._; 02-02-2015, 12:26 PM.
                Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

I made some stuff

The second vial in my original post was too much to retop, I couldn't get a lowpoly model with a decent amount of polies. One of these (the one with the middle ring and bottom thingy) is already pushing it with a LOD 0 of ~1000 tris. The other one with only the top as about ~500 tris in its LOD 0. Still playing around with materials, atm they all have a fairly uniform metallic look. PBR is cool!
                  [Health pickup models]

Comment

I love the bubbles. The detail on the plain closed vial is about the right amount, too. The joint might need to be simplified and/or made more convex.

Comment

Just saying, but why vials? Is the player stopping for a drink? Why is the notion of something having to be ingested being carried forward? Ingesting something by simply running over it is a stretch enough to do away with the idea altogether. I guess these are some kind of tether to the past; UT has always had health vials and they are by now representative and easily recognizable I suppose, but I believe that stems from the color more than shape or form.

Please don't get me wrong. The opaque vials above by SH are very, very cool. I would be fine with any of them in-game (the closed one does seem best) but just wondering if we can't get past the physical vial.
                      Last edited by Carbon; 02-08-2015, 11:50 PM.
                      My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

Because the vial communicates "this is a health item" well enough that it doesn't need a symbol. The vial shape together with a friendly, nonviolent light blue color effectively reads as "medicine", which communicates that this is a healing item.

Items in a game like UT are symbols, even if they're also physical objects - their purpose is to be recognizable and communicate what they do. I think what you call a "tether to the past" has some influence, but I like the vial simply because it's such a good design.

That said, I'm sure some people will make a marketplace mod (or twelve) that changes pickups in general to symbols of various kinds, and neither solution is inherently worse than the other as long as the particular symbol - physical or otherwise - is distinguishable and readable.

also: thanks! And I agree that the closed, simpler vial might be the better one. I just find it difficult to part with my weird sciency injector thing because I'm a polygon Gollum. :P
                        [Health pickup models]

Comment

Easier to take a swig of health from a vial you find than it would to stop in the middle of battle to apply a first aid kit, let alone strap on armor or get into jump boots. The vials are probably the most realistic things in an map.

Comment

very WIP thing:

[Health pickup models]

Comment

Ooo I like that

Comment

Working...
                              X