Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premise, Art Direction & Concept Art References

Hello guys!
    Just as a thought exercise, here is an example of how I would design the new Unreal Tournament. Hope you enjoy what's on my mind and find it cool and inspiring

PREMISE
    + The game takes place in a semi-realistic medieval dark fantasy world, where magic is non-existent and technologies are powered by a mixture of physics, (al)chemistry and occult sciences.
    + The players are demonic warrior spirits (Phantoms) trapped inside ancient man-made mechanic machines (Totems, Idols, Reincarnations) which serve as their physical outlets for the battle.
    + A typical map looks like a forgotten ancient temple, ruinous sanctuary, lost underground cave, catacomb, etc.
    + It is considered a lost clandestine knowledge that these places had a spiritual meaning in the past, and ruthless mechanic creatures are buried somewhere in their depths.
    + Some catalytic event occurs which awakens them, so Phantoms are summoned inside their Totems, and the great war begins.
    + The weapons are state-of-the-art mechanical entities, too advanced for their time, but still heavily relying on mechanics, powders, magnetism, static electricity and additional supernatural forces.
    + Visual effects include flames, heavy fluid smokes, sparks and firework particles.

ART DIRECTION AND REFERENCES
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal_Phoenix_by_hunterkiller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	352332Click image for larger version

Name:	2ace269887.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	352354Click image for larger version

Name:	the_colossus_by_noah_kh.jpg
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	352333Click image for larger version

Name:	Succubus_2_by_Leevitron.jpg
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	352334Click image for larger version

Name:	medalion_4.jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	352335Click image for larger version

Name:	darkwave_by_Geistig.jpg
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	352351Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon_rider_low_res.jpg
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	352352Click image for larger version

Name:	Elements_by_drakonaria.jpg
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	352353Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire_by_sicopath.jpg
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	352348Click image for larger version

Name:	aj7qwdzkf13uaceyyjsh.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	352349Click image for larger version

Name:	firework_competition_2007_by_barraq.jpg
Size:	527.4 KB
ID:	352350

Name:	sanctuary2.jpg
Size:	959.3 KB
ID:	352336Click image for larger version

Name:	Balcony5.jpg
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	352337Click image for larger version

Name:	Workshop_by_Raphael.Lacoste.jpg
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	352338Click image for larger version

Name:	alleeWorkshop.jpg
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	352339Click image for larger version

Name:	700_B.jpg
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	352340Click image for larger version

Name:	740_well_C.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	352341Click image for larger version

Name:	pop-tfs-121409.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	352342Click image for larger version

Name:	Gates_by_leventep.jpg
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	352343Click image for larger version

Name:	darkvoid_02.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	352344Click image for larger version

Name:	City_of_the_Ancients_by_ZackF.jpg
Size:	779.8 KB
ID:	352345Click image for larger version

Name:	farcry2.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	352346Click image for larger version

Name:	catacombs_final_adj_temp001_thumb.jpg
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	352347
    Last edited by Red Spark; 05-09-2014, 05:52 PM.
    Unreal Tournament: Premise, Art Direction and Concept Art References

That is some beautiful, contrasty art. A lot of it definitely has the UT feel.
    I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

This would actually be cool. Not sure you're going to get the fanbase onboard as far as gameplay and weapons are concerned, though
      Portfolio | DeepVoid (UDK) project leader

Comment

I think that strays a bit too far from the premise of UT - a no-holds barred tournament in a dystopian sci-fi future. However, some of those art references would work for the alien races - Nali, of course, and Gen Mokai. Skaarj seem to be a bit more technologically oriented.
        My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

The concept art even without original context is good. I agree with Gwenn and Jefe, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
            I think that strays a bit too far from the premise of UT - a no-holds barred tournament in a dystopian sci-fi future.
            As much as I love sci-fi, unfortunately I find it too much overused in today's fps games. Besides, a premise of ancient protoalien species (see picture 3) buried somewhere inside an old mayan sanctuary also seems plausible to me. And they could partially employ alien technologies which could ultimately replace occult sciences.
            Unreal Tournament: Premise, Art Direction and Concept Art References

Comment

Hmm Anubis helms on Cthulu looking humanoid aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                I think that strays a bit too far from the premise of UT - a no-holds barred tournament in a dystopian sci-fi future. However, some of those art references would work for the alien races - Nali, of course, and Gen Mokai. Skaarj seem to be a bit more technologically oriented.
                I have to say I agree, UT always had a Sci-Fi premise to it. What you're proposing with a "semi-realistic medieval dark fantasy world, where magic is non-existent and technologies are powered by a mixture of physics, (al)chemistry and occult sciences." sounds extremely precise to Quake 1's setting.

Quake 1 had a combination of medieval gothic and "near future" architecture and tech, and it wasn't until Quake 3: Arena when the series established what I always refer to as a "perfect marriage" of Quake 1's Gothic/Medieval elements and Quake 2's Science Fiction setting in Quake 3: Arena's art direction.

Regarding your thoughts of modern FPSs using Sci-Fi too much, I strongly disagree. If you looked closely at the trend of modern FPS titles such as CoD and Battlefield just a year or two ago, we were still stuck in the purgatory that was the "Modern Warfare" setting for FPSs and had been since 2007 with CoD Modern Warfare 1 (arguably earlier with Battlefield 2 in 2005). With Arena shooters largely dead in terms of popularity and their preferred realm of Sci-Fi, the only modern multiplayer FPS that was able to hold it's own in terms of popularity was the Halo franchise during the 2007 to 2010 period. Halo's popularity has dwindled with the release of Halo 4 (due to "CoDificaton" in terms of gameplay) because it alienated its core fanbase.

Now we currently have the popular multiplayer FPSs venturing into "near future Sci-Fi" with CoD Black Ops 2, Titanfall and supposedly the recently announced CoD: Advanced Warfare. That's only 3 titles so far, and despite this there is evident CoD fatigue in the FPS space right now.

Unreal Tournament on the other hand is total Sci-Fi and has had Sci-Fi in its DNA since it's inception with Unreal 1 in 1998. I and I'm sure many others who have been fans of Unreal Tournament would be disappointed with the new direction into Medieval Gothic/Fantasy territory, and as I said before this was a trait of the Quake franchise, not Unreal Tournament. Here's some screenshots of the first three Quake games, and Unreal Tournament so you can see what I'm referring to.

Quake I Medieval Characteristics

Name:	14274_4bb212235e38a.nphd.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	328423

Name:	quake1.gif
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	328424

Name:	1y93kg.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	328425
                Quake II Sci-Fi Characteristics

Name:	quake-ii-gun.jpg
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	328426

Name:	q2e1433652.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	328427

Name:	Quake_II_%u002528PC%u002529_40.jpg
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	328428
                Quake III Combination of Medieval and Sci-Fi

Name:	7462_full.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	328429

Name:	quake3_3.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	328430

Name:	shot0001.jpg
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	328431

Now Here's Unreal Tournament (99 and 2004)

Name:	Unreal-Tournament-2004.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	328432

Name:	unreal-tournament-2004.jpg
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	328433

Name:	face1c.jpg
Size:	615.6 KB
ID:	328434

Name:	DM-RB-Morpheus99.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	482.3 KB
ID:	328435

I honestly think it would be a mistake for Unreal Tournament not to retain its Sci-Fi heritage, especially when Science Fiction settings in FPS are just now seeing a resurgence in mass appeal.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by blOOz; 05-12-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

great thoughts in here

I agree, looking at all versions of the unreal games, they did have medeival type architecture tied in, but most of it was various locations like, floating islands, Giant energy reactor, Gen mo kai forests, hydrolic energy plant. Ultimately they had some fantastical locales and I hope they continue this. But most of the weaponry is very sci-fi and should stay that way.

Becoming too medieval or occultist does bring up the quake question. It should remain true to the cannon, but be able to deviate enough to make players go WHOA when they load up a map for the first time! These are the kind of threads I hope keep popping up, I appreciate the work you put into this, bravo!

Bah_Mee

Comment

I want a Hall of Giants remake lol

Comment

UT and Unreal has always had ancient elements blended with sci-fi....but that doesn't mean it should be all medeival or that it should have magic. Any "magic" in it should have the Arthur Clarke explanation that the technology is so advanced, it appears to be magic but there is a scientific explanation. Like Prometheus or Stargate etc etc.

Another series that actually does this medieval fantasy/sci fi mix is Warhammer 40k, but that is a little too depressing, even for the universe Unreal is set in. The magic in that is psychic and telekinetic, but it has a sort of pseudoscientific explanation tied up with the physics of space travel and alternate dimensions.

Comment

Working...
                      X