No announcement yet.

Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this talk of Metal had me thinking of death metal...

I like the football/sports leaning since it's a nod to the tournament setting.

Comment

^ In explanation of that last sentence on my last post up there... I annoyed myself and decided I wanted to stop talking.

Originally posted by Crotale View Post

Back to Fud's offering, I wanted to see how it might flow in the full logo. While I really like the design he posted as art, I'm not sure if I like it as an emblem design in the logo, as it makes the U appear to be squished down a bit. The crescent in the official design opens it up more and allows the U to "breathe more" as it were. Either way, it is good to see multiple takes on the emblem.

IMO part of that is down to the spike being closed on the right hand side of the U. Personally from a design perspective unless used in a standalone scenario like as a desktop icon. I would leave that part omitted, and bring the point back just under the U also perhaps.

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post
      Last edited by [GZU]Elmur_fud; 02-19-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Here's a variant on Fud's design. I like this better because it uses Henrik's original stop point leaving the open right side to logically merge with the text. Even better, it closes in the gap up top to give the negative space that defined T shape. The final point closes under the bottom of the U at a slight offset to the flow of the lower right swoop of the U.

Attached Files
        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Was thinking something similar cro but now in comparison to the other that looks so thinned out. I'm also not sure to be honest whether the oval version works as well with the text. To me the flow is broken as the oval is pointing down and left, while the text flow moves down and right, creating a bit of a randomish overall shape.

I do like the way you sealed in the T in the negative space nicely, though.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I agree with everything you said, Henrik. The concept has lots of merit stand-alone, but does not translate well in the full logo. Maybe I am dense and the question has already been answered, or is plainly obvious to everyone but me, but is the new stand-alone emblem design (whatever it turns out to be) a totally separate identity than the full logo? Based on your comments, the stand-alone emblem will be part of the full logo's design, but that was not the vibe I got earlier.

Updated version, now with thicker hoop.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Crotale; 02-19-2015, 01:56 PM.
            Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I'm not sure where you get that from my comments but don't read into anything I say as more than my opinion, at this point I know about as much as you do. What's obvious though is that it would be nice if the standalone emblem and full version were consistent.

From my experience though I know that within Epic several different opinions exist on where it should go, so I wouldn't count on this being one of those cases where whatever the majority thinks communitywise goes, it will probably come down to the opinions of guys like Perna and Polge and maybe a couple of others.

Comment

I only give your comments here more credence than any other community member because you have been working behind the scenes with Epic on this design.

Comment

Here are some of my own tests based on that idea.

Attached Files

Comment

Well I love anything with more spikes So I do like that one on the right.

I also kind of like the oval shape with the logo instead of the circle. It adds an opposing shape to the left side which IMO is kind of missing in the circle logo.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I like the tweaks you made, Henrik. I do not know if I like the blade/claws coming down off the right side, but it does fill that void. Honestly, after seeing the circle version for so long, I have grown accustomed to seeing the right side being opened up and would not be opposed to leaving it that way, especially for consistency.

Comment

Isn't it better when the hoop is aligned with the left U spike? Disturbs me a bit in the original that they're not.

Had to do #3 just for the more classic U. I'm still not happy with my shade either, but henrik's U is just too radical for me.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

I actually prefer the hoop to not be aligned.
                          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Well thanks guys, we're going to take a look at this latest iteration too.

Thank you so much Once again we have some amazing collaboration going on here.
                            Stacey Conley
                            -----------------------------
                            Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                            Epic Games, Inc.
                            Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post

I like the football/sports leaning since it's a nod to the tournament setting.
                              Totally metal.

\m/
                              Stacey Conley
                              -----------------------------
                              Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                              Epic Games, Inc.
                              Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                                Here are some of my own tests based on that idea.

Not sure which of the standalone variants I personally like more, but that's what I'm on about. Open when in the logo with 'nreal' fitting into that spot and closed when by itself acting as an icon or whatever.

From an OCD perspective it would be nice if the angle of the inclination on the orb matched that of the font but my gut tells me that if you made the orb inclination more shallow it would look kinda off-putting. While increasing the inclination of the font might cause layout problems and imply to much action.

---------------------------------------
                                If you look at the t in the negative space on these there is sort of a balloon effect occurring on the right arm of it. Since all the other letters in the logo are uniform, in my mind at least, it messes with the flow.

Going to use a quick and dirty edit on cro's work to illustrate something here. The thin blue line is an outline around the original size. I added onto the spike on the underside to widen its base and decrease the balloon effect hopefully making the T more uniform and added onto the top to cover up where I made a mess. Though I think it would look a little better if fatter up there.

Comment

Working...
                                X