Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We could always do something like:

Though all satire aside, calling it UT4 is quite logical at this point. Until it gets some official additional name to it.

Comment

That would be a lot of knobs, Brizz.
      Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I like the oval designs, they have more personality.

Unrelated to the logo, I think it should be called UT4. Regardless if this reminds people of UT3 traumatic experience or not, if we called it UT it would be more like a reboot which from what I can tell so far it isn't one but it's definitely come very close to crossing that line several times... until we hear that UT4 is actually a reboot from word of god (Epic) then it should get some other name besides just Unreal Tournament. I'm one of those people who call UT99 as well because I have more than one "UT" on my pc to pick from it helps differentiate it.

Comment

Whatever you think of the circular crescent emblem, my point is mainly that the choices between that and the text layout are intrinsically tied together. If they had committed to or pushed for an oval going in, I believe Chris would have made different calls on the layout and even the choice of the crescent. And let's not forget that a circle was pushed for even after multiple people presented oval concepts originally, myself included.

Right now what I see is trying to reverse engineer and retroactively make changes and to me it's not a good idea. If changes are going to be made at that level then consideration needs to be made to the whole, it deserves that much. But that would go so far beyond the scope of why they originally asked me to make these edits, or posted this thread, that I sincerely think we should give Epic some time to weigh in properly on what they have seen here and what they really feel they want. They are very busy with GDC now but IF they decided the oval was preferable then I would like to rework the layout somehow. It needs to be decided what is more important, the emblem on its own, or that.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I don't think they are likely to go away from the circular presentation even though I think it is much weaker. There are many things about the logo they selected that I find really weak even when compared exclusively to previous emblems. So while it's cool to go through these iterations and all, I will be absolutely shocked if anything dramatic changes with the logo.

As far as the engine/editor goes I think they should just go back to having the colors represent the distinction if they want to use the same logo. That being said, if I were making the decision I would leave the UT logo as the UT logo and keep using the classic logo for the engine (it makes more sense and has more of a representative identity with the history of the engine itself).
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I see no reason to lock the layout. Look at the Gears of War logos. They all had more than one layout, be it horizontal or vertical format, with or without the Crimson Omen. The series has maintained its identity just fine, and so has all the other UT games. Another prime example of a flexible layout, to a point, was the UT3 logo. The blood streaks making the 3 designation could be included or left out of the equation, the emblem too, and yet, the design still said UT or UT3. As I said earlier, the current design does a good job of being the Unreal Tournament identity, but it is rather rigid with the emblem built into the design as part of the text. This is both a strength and a weakness of the design.
              Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                It's hard to bring balance into a design with a big T. U and T are very different letters, it's difficult to make a stylish emblem that incorporates them as "equals". One option included below goes for an urbanized approach, but I doubt that would win too many fans.

I'm just going to post these random leftover sketches here and see if they spark any further discussion or design ideas, otherwise I'm leaving this for now as overall, I believe the existing logo / emblem is workable or one of the provided options, and it seems most people agree that we don't need to start from scratch.

I kinda like the first one, bit of a mix up between the UDam and traditional, the trophy on the end there is decent too

Maybe we can call this one UT2k1X lol
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                  I blame all you knobs that keep calling it "UT99". I refuse to do so because it is a dumb acronym and is so ironic given the disdain for the 2003/2004 naming scheme by the same people that use it.
                  Then we call it from now on...

UT99 = UT1
                  UT2k3 = UT1.9
                  UT2k4 = UT2
                  UT3 = UT3
                  and
                  UT4 = UT... uhm ...
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

I don't think they are likely to go away from the circular presentation even though I think it is much weaker. There are many things about the logo they selected that I find really weak even when compared exclusively to previous emblems. So while it's cool to go through these iterations and all, I will be absolutely shocked if anything dramatic changes with the logo.

As far as the engine/editor goes I think they should just go back to having the colors represent the distinction if they want to use the same logo. That being said, if I were making the decision I would leave the UT logo as the UT logo and keep using the classic logo for the engine (it makes more sense and has more of a representative identity with the history of the engine itself).
                    I agree if you are gonna drastically change a logo make it the one that isn't as inherently tied to a brand identity. People who want to dev on the engine will go looking for it, the icon is somewhat superfluous. While a game is a more mass market item tied to a fan-base and with its iterations a franchise develops an identity of its own. Entirely redoing a popular franchise more often then naught will cause it to tank. If the color difference isn't good enough anymore then since the editor is about providing the building blocks to make games, simply make the logo a square based shape as the game is already round.

As to all the comments of round vs oval... to quote myself:
                    I seem to recall Flak stating in an early twitch feed she liked the ut2k4 'football' style... which seemed as good an excuse to make one like that as any.
                    So basically I did it for ****s and giggles... A simple exercise to show that variations on the form were possible while still being recognizable as a UT logo.

I don't personally like the U part of the logo not because of it being round or oval, I couldn't really care less about that. As it stands though it is extremely bland and lifeless (no offense Henrik it is well done it just doesn't say UT to me) The fonts are great. The U is very unreal-esque. But beyond that I find it feels very lacking.

Comment

I blame all you knobs that keep calling it "UT99". I refuse to do so because it is a dumb acronym and is so ironic given the disdain for the 2003/2004 naming scheme by the same people that use it.

The internet is full of knobs. You should know this. :3

At the end of the day, either the old UT is gonna be called UT99 or the new UT is gonna be called UT4. No matter what Epic will say about the new UT being an entity or whatever, we're gonna call it UT4 because it's easy to remember.

Let's move along.

Comment

Originally posted by [GZU]Elmur_fud View Post
                        The U is very unreal-esque. But beyond that I find it feels very lacking.
                        Because I (or they) haven't added chrome bling and bevels everywhere, you mean.

Anyway, offense intended or not, I find it kind of amusing but strange how a select few feel a need to continuously point out how much they hate the logo either as a whole or some aspect of it even when contributing to discussion about how to improve upon it. It is funny because it is completely irrelevant to improving it and even so, I have seen certain people repeat their hate of it over and over again. Which does make it look sort of personal. I have been letting it slide because frankly I do not care one way or the other, but sticking to the relevant facts would be pretty nice.

Comment

Wow that's hardcore! By the way I played UT for the first time in a long time tonight. And I also played UT again today like I have been most days recently .
                          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

If it makes you feel better, Henrik: I love the look and shape of your logo design. And let's face it: Epic chose it and developed it as a branding on their terms. If people have a beef with it, they take it up with Epic, not you. I expressed a sort of distaste with the flat colours, but that was Epic's call, you're really good at presenting and realising someone else's ideas, not just your own.

This whole logo debate is getting old. Epic need to just outright tell people: this is the way it is, stop 'yer *****in.

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
                              If it makes you feel better, Henrik: I love the look and shape of your logo design. And let's face it: Epic chose it and developed it as a branding on their terms. If people have a beef with it, they take it up with Epic, not you. I expressed a sort of distaste with the flat colours, but that was Epic's call, you're really good at presenting and realising someone else's ideas, not just your own.

This whole logo debate is getting old. Epic need to just outright tell people: this is the way it is, stop 'yer *****in.
                              I know that praise is never given out as much as criticism, those who like something usually say nothing at all or tell you once. Those who don't like it will let you hear it over and over. In the end it helps nobody and nothing though, now I'm not trying to stifle anyone's freedom of speech but it's all been said, so yeah I agree, I really do.

Comment

I think it's all just a matter of how the logo is used with colors or effects. For instance I'm pretty "meh" about the U circle in the main window as I turn on the game.

But it looks okay in the training holograms and the solid U tokens look pretty sweet. They're all the same logo that Henrik designed but the colors and effects are different and give off a different feel.

In any case, I don't really see the thread going much further so I think everyone should wait on Epic when they get back from GDC, this thread definitely has enough to pick from.

Comment

Working...
                                X