• Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Kypperstyx View Post

Pew Pew and fries to go.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crotale View Post
    For the record, Henrik, I never have stated that I hate the design. I merely disagree with the direction, and that is on Epic. I held fast and steady on the issue of the crescent hoop not working very well in a stand-alone emblem and Epic ignored my plea. I know that I annoyed you during that final selection process and for that, I apologize, but again, my beef was with the selection and not the designer. You know tat I am a huge fan of your work.

You have to admit, the crescent shape has been the reason for the most complaints about the logo, aside from the lack of a distinct Unreal font for those of us stuck in the 20th Century. Hopefully, this latest effort will win some favor with Epic and we will have an iconic and flexible logo design. I do not believe that one trumps the other.
    Oh, didn't see this until now. Thanks man that means a lot.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow. Just wow. Now THAT is funny.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i really like the oval design better than the circle. The circle was fine but to be honest it reminds me too much of the Burger King ring just flipped.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You crack me up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crotale View Post
    The lower portion of the U looks like a pilgrim collar.
    HAHA

I see where you're going with this... my necktie comments right :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The lower portion of the U looks like a pilgrim collar.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This may be a pointless iteration but I wanted to give the ole udam one last hurrah. I get what you're saying Gooba, but I think their reasons for not going udam are more general and not about your specific design. After all I provided several takes on it myself.

When they make comparisons to Quake it is likely in the symmetry, so if we want to preserve symmetry and yet avoid that, then the U needs something more radical added while staying simple overall. Remembering Chris Perna's request for horizontal lines inside the uDam at one point in the process, I thought about doing something with that but on a simpler scale.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The current logo's massive U in Unreal is a bit much and looks almost out of place. It minimizes the text, almost as if the text is an afterthought and need not be there. What I really like about this latest concept is that it feels more cohesive a design. The U is downscaled and allows the excellent Unreal Tournament text to really stand out and shine in a very powerful stance. And best of all, it needs no chrome!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [GZU]Elmur_fud View Post
    I like it. In fact I feel the need to chrome it...so I guess it must be good.
    Well that's one more criticizer on board with the new oval.
    Though I think you need a break from EyeCandy2.0 photoshop filters

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Another with the Unreal text color matching emblem to tie them together better:

I like it. In fact I feel the need to chrome it...so I guess it must be good.

Though this iteration of UT is a marketing ploy for the engine and the marketplace, the engine icon itself should be secondary to UT just as it always has been IMO. You start making compromises with the quality of your pull product you risk ability for it to do the task you want it to. Something I am sure they are aware of. So why are we differentiating the game from the engine when we should be differentiating the engine from the game? A rhetorical question to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For the record, Henrik, I never have stated that I hate the design. I merely disagree with the direction, and that is on Epic. I held fast and steady on the issue of the crescent hoop not working very well in a stand-alone emblem and Epic ignored my plea. I know that I annoyed you during that final selection process and for that, I apologize, but again, my beef was with the selection and not the designer. You know tat I am a huge fan of your work.

You have to admit, the crescent shape has been the reason for the most complaints about the logo, aside from the lack of a distinct Unreal font for those of us stuck in the 20th Century. Hopefully, this latest effort will win some favor with Epic and we will have an iconic and flexible logo design. I do not believe that one trumps the other.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I just think its easier to make UE look more badass then UT logo.

Since the release of the very 1st engine and all the games no one has ever confused the two yet they look the same....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    code like rebranding the logo for UT, rebranding the logo for UE would have the same problems. Thousands of developers go to Epic to license UE and thousands of players see the "powered by UE" icon as it shows up in games. For the same reason you don't want to confuse the players and potential customers, you don't want to confuse people about the engine either. It's all marketing and UT is a much lower priority to EPIC Games no matter how much you like it they won't rebrand UE just for UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    The T is now negative-spaced in a more elegant way, and the oval does at least provide more of an immediate visual difference from the current engine logo, not that it wasn't pretty different before but then both were completely round. If we start to think "engine round, UT oval" and stay consistent with that in the future that could conceivably work. The way I do the spikes on the U also has a more aggressive look than the engine's version so one would think that put together, all these subtle elements should be enough to give them what they are after.

I did like your udamage idea Gooba but it seems like they have a number of issues with that for UT. At least people seem to dig it for the Unreal project TidalBlast started up, maybe it can be used there along with that font you worked up.

Here is a visualization of this logo in the launcher.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    I didn't really mean my U damage logo, just the idea in general. I agree that my version doesn't fit all the requirements, but I think we could make one that does.

For me, the problem still stands... if you put just the two icons (UE4 and UT) next to each other, they look like different versions of the same logo(or brand). Yes, you can separate them by adding extra elements like type or texture, but then whats the point of having a logo in the first place?
    Last edited by Gooba; 02-22-2015, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X