Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I just dont get why the engine cant get a UE logo adding the E to engine icon makes more sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A U-Damage logo would be a complete rebranding of UT which is why I'm against it. We've had the U in a circle or oval since the start and I don't see any benefit to changing this to a U damage icon now.

Henrik's newest oval U icon has quite a bit more than just being a slight oval version of the UE4 icon. When the U incorporates the old UT iconic spikes and "dangerous" shapes of older logos but keeping them contained in the shape itself instead of on the outside (UT2k and UT3). The newest icon captures more of the UT spirit of the spikes better than Henrik's old version and there's definitely no outer spikes in the UE4 icon. The UE4 icon is also very sticker like while Henrik's designs have catered to cutout shapes (this was true for the old designs as well) and I think that's enough to differentiate them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The T is now negative-spaced in a more elegant way, and the oval does at least provide more of an immediate visual difference from the current engine logo, not that it wasn't pretty different before but then both were completely round. If we start to think "engine round, UT oval" and stay consistent with that in the future that could conceivably work. The way I do the spikes on the U also has a more aggressive look than the engine's version so one would think that put together, all these subtle elements should be enough to give them what they are after.

I did like your udamage idea Gooba but it seems like they have a number of issues with that for UT. At least people seem to dig it for the Unreal project TidalBlast started up, maybe it can be used there along with that font you worked up.

Here is a visualization of this logo in the launcher.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If I understand it correctly, the point of this thread was to remove the possibility of mistaking the UT logo with the Unreal Engine logo. Having a "U" in an oval or a circle doesn't really make a difference, since it just seems like a different version of the engine logo then. Similar to what happened with UT99 and 2k4. Same game, still recognizable, just a variation on the style, right?

The first "UT" logo in the OP is sorta successful at separating it from the engine, but the redundancy with the T hidden inside the U looks pretty clumsy since the logo wasn't initially designed with this in mind. Maybe with some effort it can be reworked to avoid that?

This is why I gravitate towards the U-damage symbol since its just as UT as the circle U, but delivers it in a package that is totally unrelated to the engine branding, which I know was a big part of the brief when designing the initial logo.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yea it works. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope Epic goes for this latest direction, as it isn't a big departure from what they have as I see it, just a refinement. And when you, Crotale and Theo, all of whom were critical of the previous logo can get on board with this one, that probably says something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I really like the broken up version of the U that you just did Henrik. It may not matter much at smaller scales, but I feel like it's much better at larger and standard scale. No complaints from me on that, I believe it's my favorite of the thread and in general a little bit modernized and stylish and a little bit retro and iconic.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow, that one feels much more classic & iconic even though it uses the same u and no gothic unreal calligraphy. Best version of this design imo!

Edit: But the TM's would be a bit less disturbing in black imo. I'd leave them completely away for the design evaluation.
    Last edited by TheoRiginal; 02-22-2015, 08:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ooh, I like that. Even though I prefer to see the hoop separated, the upper right leg of the U reminds me of the original Unreal game emblem. Nice indeed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another with the Unreal text color matching emblem to tie them together better:

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    For some reason, the UDamage style logos give me the bumps...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Although I like the overall shape, I do think it might need some spaces between the hoop and the U to give a tick more clarity.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Eh not really. Like I said it is easy enough to extrapolate where the different curves are going. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to add spaces on that particular swoop but at the same time I don't personally feel it's necessary. I suppose I could try it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The U reads perfectly well on the right hand side but I feel like the left get's lost in a bunch of shapes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X