Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think the U shape stands out just as much because first it is even more prominent sizewise now, and the way the oval ties into it implies clearly how the U would look alone. The brain is capable of extrapolating that. Looking at the icon size in the thumb, it is easily recognizable as the Unreal U, just as much so as versions where there are spaces breaking it up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wasn't overly serious about the layout. I do realize what you're trying to accomplish. I just do not like the way the oval obliterates the clean and distinctive U shape.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My goal was to find a different way to incorporate the emblem as the U to the text, while using that centered layout. It also prevents the full text+symbol layout from becoming so huge that it cannot easily be used in any banners. The way the emblem was incorporated between the rows in 2kx and UT3 helped them do that before, and I think my latest solution is even more elegant a way to do it. The emblem itself works the crescent in a much more slick way as well that keeps it from having these awkward open points all over. It can easily be machined as a pendant now, whereas it could not before without a backpiece. I'm actually really happy with how many levels it works on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interesting.

How about this? The UT pyramid.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How's about this...

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's kind of a thing that Fud points out about the emblem. If that emblem had been shown off as without any of the accompanying text in the logo, I would have guessed that Epic was presenting a clever logo concept for an Unreal Championship game. This really is about direction from Epic and not any reflection on you, Henrik. If the emblem were initially designated to be deployed as both integrated and stand-alone, then almost any previous layout would work if an artist decided to switch it up a bit for a fanart piece, as in this attached example. I am aware that is not direction Epic wants to take, but I am posting it as sort of a sanity check.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have always separated my nostalgia from my layouts here, otherwise I would suggest we just stick with the round orb. I made the first variation of the below in 2004 and it has changed very little (had a globe in the center originally) since. To say I was ecstatic at the UT3 logo is probably a very large understatement.

I object to putting it in a flag or in a trophy because it breaks some very simple design tenants "It needs to be readily visible to be recognizable. - Simple shapes do this best." The smaller it gets the harder it will be to tell what it is. Both would make fantastic achievements icons but they aren't great as a desktop icon. Admittedly it should only be a big problem when the icon is in small dimensions in comparison to the screen ratio. However it doesn't make sense to me to make that much of a leap for the sheer sake of differentiation either.

You may not realize this but there are tons of gamers out there that played and enjoyed UT but have no idea this is being made. For instance, when I submitted the last 3 wallpapers I made to that wallpaper thread I also submitted them to the imgur user galley and the overwhelming responses I got there was "Oh you mean the browser game based off the UT3 engine" and "the company that made unreal is still in business?" I then posted them elsewhere to similar reactions.

It was generally either that or a "It'll just suck like UT3 did" response.

I don't take the new gamer into account in this equation, because if the people that should recognize it don't, you've got a problem.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [GZU]Elmur_fud View Post
    from your posts I don't think you do either. It is however more of a UT logo then a U on a flag or trophy as far as I am concerned.
    Well, when I offered it as a variation to Chris yes to be honest it sort of caught me off guard when it was chosen, but that doesn't mean I don't stand behind it as a good design, from my perspective there were just others I liked better. But it created the effect they were after for the text. There is no guarantee either that any other design, even one with the oval solves the issue that is really in their minds, making the idea of tournament specifically clearer. To us it is clear because we know the series. To anyone else, a U in a circle, a U in an oval, may as well be the same thing and it would take them time upon being introduced to them to learn the differentiation, no different than now or any time in the past.

So I would ask you to think about whether your nostalgia is winning over simple logic in this matter and the ability to look at it from other perspectives. Whether it be adding a T, putting it in a flag or in a trophy, any of those 3 options say UT and offer a clear contrast when compared to the Unreal Engine emblem immediately to a new player. Is that their goal though? Who knows. They haven't specified. That's why I'd like to wait for them to weigh in as I said earlier.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Because I (or they) haven't added chrome bling and bevels everywhere, you mean.

Anyway, offense intended or not, I find it kind of amusing but strange how a select few feel a need to continuously point out how much they hate the logo either as a whole or some aspect of it even when contributing to discussion about how to improve upon it. It is funny because it is completely irrelevant to improving it and even so, I have seen certain people repeat their hate of it over and over again. Which does make it look sort of personal. I have been letting it slide because frankly I do not care one way or the other, but sticking to the relevant facts would be pretty nice.
    lol, bling lacking indeed. touché sir

Though I wasn't thinking at all of what it (the logo as a whole or in part) would look like in a final composite when I said that. The 'it' in "But beyond that I find it feels very lacking" was a comment solely to the topic of this thread. Though I think the game could use something to differentiate it from other UT's in it's title and of course it's logo I find that the fonts as a whole work well together and compliment each other. Furthermore to me they do a good job of conveying an unreal tournament logo vibe.

Again I am referring to what this thread is about, I.E. this

To me it is lacking. Sure as part of the logo it works great but I don't think you designed it to stand on it's own and IMO it just doesn't do that. Honestly from your posts I don't think you do either. It is however more of a UT logo then a U on a flag or trophy as far as I am concerned. All I have ever posted was to try and get people thinking.

-Relevant facts-
    --It only barely resembles previous logos so it will not be well received at the outset no matter what, there is too much nostalgia involved for that.
    ----This means it needs to at least be recognizable for what it is.
    --It needs to be readily visible to be recognizable.
    ----Simple shapes do this best.
    --People tend to explain why they are suggesting a change. That reason is quite often because they don't like something or feel it could be improved.
    ----Therefore it is relevant as it provides context.

Edit ^This doesn't mean that it represents a lack of appreciation for your effort or a dislike of you yourself. At least in my case it does not and I hope that goes for anybody else as well.
    Last edited by [GZU]Elmur_fud; 02-22-2015, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To be honest, Brizz, not everyone will like any logo design settled upon. Even with Henrik's hundreds of designs, there were varied opinions on which versions were the "right" ones, depending on who you asked. Truthfully, this discussion could be about movement, weapons, maps, you name it. With design or art, I try to remember that one man's junk is another man's treasure, and vice versa.

The more I look at this, the more I feel that the only viable solution to using the current design as it is, is this one that Henrik whipped up:

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...2&d=1423034716

The T appears to complete the circle and is a slightly altered version of the Tournament T. This is effective and leaves everything intact, from the layout to the font style. That's my two cents.
    Last edited by Crotale; 02-22-2015, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    If it makes you feel better, Henrik: I love the look and shape of your logo design. And let's face it: Epic chose it and developed it as a branding on their terms. If people have a beef with it, they take it up with Epic, not you. I expressed a sort of distaste with the flat colours, but that was Epic's call, you're really good at presenting and realising someone else's ideas, not just your own.

This whole logo debate is getting old. Epic need to just outright tell people: this is the way it is, stop 'yer *****in.
    That doesn't stop people from complaining about it. Besides we've already basically said exactly that. Doesn't mean we have to like it I honestly thought I'd get over it after a few months. Unfortunately I was wrong or maybe too aggressive on that timeline.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think it's all just a matter of how the logo is used with colors or effects. For instance I'm pretty "meh" about the U circle in the main window as I turn on the game.

But it looks okay in the training holograms and the solid U tokens look pretty sweet. They're all the same logo that Henrik designed but the colors and effects are different and give off a different feel.

In any case, I don't really see the thread going much further so I think everyone should wait on Epic when they get back from GDC, this thread definitely has enough to pick from.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    If it makes you feel better, Henrik: I love the look and shape of your logo design. And let's face it: Epic chose it and developed it as a branding on their terms. If people have a beef with it, they take it up with Epic, not you. I expressed a sort of distaste with the flat colours, but that was Epic's call, you're really good at presenting and realising someone else's ideas, not just your own.

This whole logo debate is getting old. Epic need to just outright tell people: this is the way it is, stop 'yer *****in.
    I know that praise is never given out as much as criticism, those who like something usually say nothing at all or tell you once. Those who don't like it will let you hear it over and over. In the end it helps nobody and nothing though, now I'm not trying to stifle anyone's freedom of speech but it's all been said, so yeah I agree, I really do.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
    I blame all you knobs that keep calling it "UT99". I refuse to do so because it is a dumb acronym and is so ironic given the disdain for the 2003/2004 naming scheme by the same people that use it.
    Wow that's hardcore! By the way I played UT for the first time in a long time tonight. And I also played UT again today like I have been most days recently .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X