Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Isn't it better when the hoop is aligned with the left U spike? Disturbs me a bit in the original that they're not.

Had to do #3 just for the more classic U. I'm still not happy with my shade either, but henrik's U is just too radical for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I like the tweaks you made, Henrik. I do not know if I like the blade/claws coming down off the right side, but it does fill that void. Honestly, after seeing the circle version for so long, I have grown accustomed to seeing the right side being opened up and would not be opposed to leaving it that way, especially for consistency.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well I love anything with more spikes So I do like that one on the right.

I also kind of like the oval shape with the logo instead of the circle. It adds an opposing shape to the left side which IMO is kind of missing in the circle logo.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here are some of my own tests based on that idea.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I only give your comments here more credence than any other community member because you have been working behind the scenes with Epic on this design.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sure where you get that from my comments but don't read into anything I say as more than my opinion, at this point I know about as much as you do. What's obvious though is that it would be nice if the standalone emblem and full version were consistent.

From my experience though I know that within Epic several different opinions exist on where it should go, so I wouldn't count on this being one of those cases where whatever the majority thinks communitywise goes, it will probably come down to the opinions of guys like Perna and Polge and maybe a couple of others.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree with everything you said, Henrik. The concept has lots of merit stand-alone, but does not translate well in the full logo. Maybe I am dense and the question has already been answered, or is plainly obvious to everyone but me, but is the new stand-alone emblem design (whatever it turns out to be) a totally separate identity than the full logo? Based on your comments, the stand-alone emblem will be part of the full logo's design, but that was not the vibe I got earlier.

Updated version, now with thicker hoop.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Crotale; 02-19-2015, 01:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Was thinking something similar cro but now in comparison to the other that looks so thinned out. I'm also not sure to be honest whether the oval version works as well with the text. To me the flow is broken as the oval is pointing down and left, while the text flow moves down and right, creating a bit of a randomish overall shape.

I do like the way you sealed in the T in the negative space nicely, though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here's a variant on Fud's design. I like this better because it uses Henrik's original stop point leaving the open right side to logically merge with the text. Even better, it closes in the gap up top to give the negative space that defined T shape. The final point closes under the bottom of the U at a slight offset to the flow of the lower right swoop of the U.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^ In explanation of that last sentence on my last post up there... I annoyed myself and decided I wanted to stop talking.

Originally posted by Crotale View Post

Back to Fud's offering, I wanted to see how it might flow in the full logo. While I really like the design he posted as art, I'm not sure if I like it as an emblem design in the logo, as it makes the U appear to be squished down a bit. The crescent in the official design opens it up more and allows the U to "breathe more" as it were. Either way, it is good to see multiple takes on the emblem.

IMO part of that is down to the spike being closed on the right hand side of the U. Personally from a design perspective unless used in a standalone scenario like as a desktop icon. I would leave that part omitted, and bring the point back just under the U also perhaps.

Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post
    All this talk of Metal had me thinking of death metal...
    Last edited by [GZU]Elmur_fud; 02-19-2015, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    All this talk of Metal had me thinking of death metal...

I like the football/sports leaning since it's a nod to the tournament setting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crotale View Post
    Will you please post a flat version sans the shiny beveled treatment?

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
    ... Maybe push it forward with a new idea?
    IMO I think very subtle gradients with contrasted defined edges are probably where the general graphics trends headed next... not sure it would fit with UT though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pardon my mildly pedantic rant here... Quite frankly IMO the flat graphics of windows 8 is a cop-out. I imagine it was more a decision to cut expenses or avoid the need to design an interface that tiled or scaled. Personally I find its style revolting and overly reminiscent of websites designed in MS frontpage around 96-97... also clearly I am good at chrome bevels and I like shiny objects so I have a bias. That said however, new is good if new serves the goal, and the goal here should be to; A. Make a logo that is readily recognizable for what it is so that it best fits its marketing role. And B. Fits with the overall feel of this new UT. If you can do that while revolutionizing the wheel great, otherwise you'll only have a negative impact.

In looking at the logo over the iterations (the real ones not others or my fan made logos) I notice a few things.

-The chrome bevel is systemic to date. It provides an aggressive blade-like appearance that hints at how the gameplay is generally aggressive.
    --The pointed aspects convey this fairly well on their own so the chrome element itself only ads a subconscious idea of violence invoked by the image of pointy metal objects. (you don't see a sword and think "Oh I wonder what that is for.")

-The overall shape is always circular (round or oval).

-The U is always prominently featured.

-It contains other artistic elements that mostly act to flesh out the piece and give it a more polished look.

This is just my take on them, but it is the sort of approach I recommend anybody take in approaching design. Not to say you shouldn't have an original idea. Do. Then take that idea and refine and improve it with some background on your subject... Understand where you are coming from and you will know where you are going.

NVM, I think I may have read one to many books.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TeriyakiStyle View Post
    Made this just for fun a while back might translate well into B/W
    PARTY TIME! Here's the confetti!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I see the T! I see the T! Do I get a cookie?

It's kinda slick looking, but too much of a departure in shape for my taste. I do like the way you used the negative space to create the T.

Back to Fud's offering, I wanted to see how it might flow in the full logo. While I really like the design he posted as art, I'm not sure if I like it as an emblem design in the logo, as it makes the U appear to be squished down a bit. The crescent in the official design opens it up more and allows the U to "breathe more" as it were. Either way, it is good to see multiple takes on the emblem.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Made this just for fun a while back might translate well into B/W

Leave a comment:

Working...
X