Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
    On the subject of the blue colors change I'm not really sure if I like it or not. I was finally getting used to the orange, and it was a nice in-between the classic gold and something modern. Even UT3 stuck to "metallic" colors.
    A straight blue U is a huge step away from UT norm
    Actually UT has always been about two colors primarily, red and blue. So you could choose to see it as blue team finally getting their moment. :P I am fine with the orange but this is just a forum header and the rest of the theme is blue and grey too so it makes sense, I don't know why people always have this tendency to make a big deal out of small things.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

This is branding. It doesn't matter where it is.

It's kind of a stretch to say "UT has always been about blue and red". In terms of the U symbol, UT has been more about Gold than any other color and the in-game team colors aren't really relevant to the U logo as a brand.
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Then they could make the theme match the logo instead... but guess which is less work? 3 themes to change including icons etc. Plus it just looks **** good, especially in the "Darkest" theme. It's hard not to make orange and black look like it's halloween all year round.
        Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 02-26-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

So, marketing a brand is all about the shortcuts now? I don't buy it.
          Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
            Then they could make the theme match the logo instead... but guess which is less work? 3 themes to change including icons etc. Plus it just looks **** good, especially in the "Darkest" theme. It's hard not to make orange and black look like it's halloween all year round.
            Sounds like a really bad excuse, frankly. So when you develop a brand for someone you say "feel free to change the core design element's color to match whatever you are doing"? Color is as much a part of branding as any other individual design element. Designs should work with your brand, not vice versa. I would guess that if the blue stays the branding everywhere else will be changed to match it. I just find it to be an odd decision for many reasons.
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

The fact is that this game is not yet even at the point where they are openly marketing it, up until not long ago if I'm not mistaken there was even a disclaimer that "we'd rather you didn't play the game yet". How they color a logo on their development forums should be the least of your concerns and probably a sign that you have run out of things to talk about. I am just saying that I can see it as being less of a branding decision than something Stacey did because it looked good and she has 100 other things to do. If they really see it as a problem I am sure they will take it up with her.

Comment

I don't see any reason not to discuss it and don't see how it has any relevance to what other things there are to talk about. The orange is also a fairly large departure from previous logos so it seems completely relevant and worth discussing the branding in a thread about the branding now as any other time.

Comment

Blue/brown are the official engine logo colors. Orange (/gold-ish) is the official engine page color. They (probably) want to avoid that.
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

If that's the case, they haven't shown it or announced it anywhere else. The launcher still has it in orange. Stream still had it orange. Awful lot to extrapolate from one forum color change which is easily explained. None of this branding talk is even about looking at things at rationally or like a business. This sounds more like the perspective of consumers who are addicted to change and constantly anticipating that the grass could be greener if we just did x differently or got something shiny and new. There will always be something else.

Comment

Has Epic ever officially decided on a color scheme for the logo?
                      Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I don't know where the idea comes from that blue and red are the UT main colors because as far as I can tell the only thing UT logos have done is used strong primary colors. Yellow(UT Gold) Red(UT3) and Blue(UT2k). Even still, the blue in the forum logo looks too plain when the blue in 2k4's backdrop had more metalic textures behind a gold U.

Currently my reaction to the blue U and gray font is that it makes UT too clean, neat and tidey. Maybe sterile? Not very eye catchy but at least the "Unreal" font is back to being the main highlight as a color instead of it being white. Not sure why "Tournament" was orange and "Unreal" was white. The UE4 colors are great though, metallic and visually pleasing.
                        Last edited by FirebornForm; 02-26-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                          Has Epic ever officially decided on a color scheme for the logo?
                          Yes, as when I did the anniversary updates they specifically asked for it in orange instead of red which I had done first and said that was the direction they were going to go with it in all their materials. Obviously the forum technically counts as a "material", but maybe they have a full new theme in the roadmap further down the line and it just isn't a big priority.

Comment

I can only count 1+1...

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                            We're looking at updating the U emblem so it doesn't look as close to the Unreal Engine logo.
                            +
                            Recent blog/forum changes.
                            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I had not seen the blog recently and nobody ever said anything about it. If they changed that too then you might be onto something. As far as red and blue being UT colors, it was more of a joke about the team colors because FBF or someone said Blue doesn't fit UT. I really don't see how that would be the case outside of it potentially not being aggressive enough a color. Blue and Red have certainly always been central to what people think of colorwise when they think of UT. Yellow/Gold/Green have also been used but in a considerably lesser role. Gold fits with the idea of a competition. I think that no matter what they do someone is going to be unhappy so they may as well just choose a direction and stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                                Blue and Red have certainly always been central to what people think of colorwise when they think of UT. Yellow/Gold/Green have also been used but in a considerably lesser role. Gold fits with the idea of a competition. I think that no matter what they do someone is going to be unhappy so they may as well just choose a direction and stick with it.
                                Ehhhhhhhhhh.....

Comment

Working...
                                X