No announcement yet.

Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here's another stab at it. This should do it more justice. Keep in mind I just roughed it in and the final version would be much cleaner and more defined.

Attached Files

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
      Of course I'm biased against the T in the first place but those are my thoughts, just a U is fine thanks.
      Likewise, a better icon will come out of just using the U. But if they really want a T in there, why not try one of those trophy concepts from a few pages back, make the trophy the T with the U in the middle of it or something?

Comment

I can see how in the context the icon is in, various emblems other than the U or UT with crescent could create confusion. They wanted something to represent "home" other than the house icon. Telling me that sooner might have helped me do my job better.

Trophy: Is it going to open a ladder/trophy room?
        Amp: Is it going to give me powerups?
        Flag: Is it going to load a CTF match?

and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
          They wanted something to represent "home" other than the house icon.
          Why didn't they just say so??

Comment

I don't think the icon is very good messaging that you are going back to the main menu. I also think the T just makes the logo too heavy and really ruins the simple and readable design. Frankly, it's not very good. Some of your stabs are an improvement, Henrik, but they are still pretty awful and unbalanced as far as a logo goes.
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

What changes would rectify those issues for you, Brizz? Which elements of Henrik's previous concepts (prior to the selection of the current design) do you feel would be a better fit for the game's identity and brandmark? Essentially, what kind of design would you prefer to see as the UT logo and emblem?
              Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Well I'd certainly prefer to see something way more classic than anything they have been playing with so far period.

The elements that are improvements in Henrik's last two attempts are just that they are balanced better but they still don't look balanced and there are too many conflicting shapes. The advantage to the U in the circle logo that has been around forever is that the shapes blend well and are not battling. The fact that people think the logo changed to CUT kind of shows that internal struggle with so many battling shapes.
                BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Well, being forthright I also prefer the emblem as it was with no T's in any form slapped on. Said as much from the beginning. But I suppose I like a challenge as an artist/designer.

Comment

Ok, here's another stab at it. This should do it more justice. Keep in mind I just roughed it in and the final version would be much cleaner and more defined.
                    You really think that's better than the 2nd draft of the OP?? Really strange you didn't go with the other one and never tried a logo with the authentic U. Imho all new ones are out of balance and none of these is iconic. Using the "wrong" U and even making the T a different size will never produce any improvement.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Theo, I know you don't like my update on the U, and that is your right, but it doesn't make it "wrong" or "inauthentic" any more than the version they used before is "inauthentic" compared to the one from UT99. Things change and get updated, whether it is done by a community member or contracted or done within the company makes zero difference. Realize that it is just your preference and what you are used to. But they asked for a new U. I see the U that you like as not that great aesthetically. The top left swoop is even all wobbly looking.

Comment

Yes, UT99 had the authentic Unreal U, then it changed ONCE for UT2kx more or less radically, but still a gothic callygraphy, much more balanced and modern, but not an entirely different design like you did (going fully tribal). Since 12 years it's the very same U now and it's absolutely iconic for everybody! "Never change a winning team" I say. And I dont mean "wrong" or "unauthentic" in a negative way, I think your U (for a tribal U) looks very cool! But factually from a calligraphical point of view your U is not authentic to the other UT U's. You made it fully tribalesque like tribal tattoos are for example, but it's not anymore a gothic calligraphy U. But I wasn't really criticizing the U again last post, I asked you if you really consider the newest composition better than the 2nd draft of the OP and why you never tried making a new logo with the authentic U, but got no answer. I will give up the fight for an authentic and yet distuinguishable logo now, it seems lost and we turn around in circles here imo.

We'll maybe end up having not such an iconic default UT label anymore, but there's the UT editor free for all now, so we can at least customise all our UT to our likes. Thanks Epic!
                        And thanks Henrik for the answer and your various contributions. Although I dont like the U, I love many logo compositions you've done!
                        Last edited by TheoRiginal; 03-03-2015, 01:33 PM.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Even "calligraphic" vs "tribal" is debatable. Look at the original U with the spikes and 3 prongs and tell me that is calligraphic. If anything I have brought it somewhat back in that direction. Epic rejected the use of spikes, but I at least brought the lower left half of the U back inward to create that sort of edge that had gone missing. The way I see it is that influencewise between all the emblems from the beginning there is very little in common, each does their own approach that fit the times.

You'll have to point out what you mean by second draft of the OP, is it the second one here?

Someone from Epic did the one on the right, I did the one on the left. Neither is a second draft other than the left being my response to their mockup. But I am not truly satisfied with either one, which is why I try different compositions now. What you see in my last composition I very clearly said was just a rough mockup, done in Photoshop to give a very basic representation rather than worked up cleanly in vector form. Maybe it isn't clearer per se but it does offer a slightly different style take on things and it is not always obvious what will catch on. I know the small T won't catch on, which is why I offered another with a big T. I could define the T from the U more clearly if people see any potential, but all people see is that the T, no matter which way you look at it feels forced, and probably very little will change that.
                          Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, the one on the right side of these two is what I called "the 2nd draft" which I totally like.
                            Well yes, if that's not exclusively your work I can ofc understand that you would rather take one which you did entirely, but it's just the best composition of all I've seen imho.

You are right of course, the last U wasn't pure gothic calligraphy either, but a gothic calligraphy font with only slight tribal touch. If you look at gothic calligraphy, you will notice the right U side is pretty much exactly like Epic's.
                            What I would say you have done with it, is taken the gothic calligraphy base out and enhanced its tribal nature. If that's someone's taste it can be even an improvement of course, I personally miss the gothic calligraphy aspect, since that's what I loved most about all Unreal (Tournament) logos. The left bottom swing of your U is exactly what disturbes me and my friends most, if you would have left the spike out (instead of that cut inwards) it would preserve a lot more of the original Epic U shape. Considering calligraphy is based on writing the letter in one swing with a rectangular brush (like a fountain pen) your U doesn't look that way, this is especially in the left bottom corner extra swing visible.

But if most of you prefer it in pure tribal, why not? Surprisingly for me, there's not a majority fighting to keep the gothic calligraphy U, imo one of the most crucial UT label characteristics.
                            I gave my views in detail and leave it up to you now, I can always mod my UT if I'm not satisfied with the final label. Thanks for the open ear to the community!
                            Last edited by TheoRiginal; 03-03-2015, 02:46 PM. Reason: Grammar (If + would = sentence kaputt :p)

Comment

It has nothing to do with whether I designed it or not (though I never would do it that way, for a number of reasons). The composition of that version is not very good at all, and they have stretched the crescent to where it is neither a circle or even an oval. On top of this there is zero sense of balance to the way the text is placed. Basically to me it is not aesthetically pleasing at all. No offense to whoever made it.
                              Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 03-03-2015, 03:12 PM.

Comment

It has nothing to do with whether I designed it or not (though I never would do it that way, for a number of reasons). The composition of that version is not very good at all, and they have stretched the crescent to where it is neither a circle or even an oval. On top of this there is zero sense of balance to the way the text is placed. Basically to me it is not aesthetically pleasing at all. No offense to whoever made it.
                                Totally agree which is why it is far worse than the emblems you provided.

Comment

Working...
                                X