Logo Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Yes, UT99 had the authentic Unreal U, then it changed ONCE for UT2kx more or less radically, but still a gothic callygraphy, much more balanced and modern, but not an entirely different design like you did (going fully tribal). Since 12 years it's the very same U now and it's absolutely iconic for everybody! "Never change a winning team" I say. And I dont mean "wrong" or "unauthentic" in a negative way, I think your U (for a tribal U) looks very cool! But factually from a calligraphical point of view your U is not authentic to the other UT U's. You made it fully tribalesque like tribal tattoos are for example, but it's not anymore a gothic calligraphy U. But I wasn't really criticizing the U again last post, I asked you if you really consider the newest composition better than the 2nd draft of the OP and why you never tried making a new logo with the authentic U, but got no answer. I will give up the fight for an authentic and yet distuinguishable logo now, it seems lost and we turn around in circles here imo.

We'll maybe end up having not such an iconic default UT label anymore, but there's the UT editor free for all now, so we can at least customise all our UT to our likes. Thanks Epic!
    And thanks Henrik for the answer and your various contributions. Although I dont like the U, I love many logo compositions you've done!
    Last edited by TheoRiginal; 03-03-2015, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Theo, I know you don't like my update on the U, and that is your right, but it doesn't make it "wrong" or "inauthentic" any more than the version they used before is "inauthentic" compared to the one from UT99. Things change and get updated, whether it is done by a community member or contracted or done within the company makes zero difference. Realize that it is just your preference and what you are used to. But they asked for a new U. I see the U that you like as not that great aesthetically. The top left swoop is even all wobbly looking.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
    Ok, here's another stab at it. This should do it more justice. Keep in mind I just roughed it in and the final version would be much cleaner and more defined.
    You really think that's better than the 2nd draft of the OP?? Really strange you didn't go with the other one and never tried a logo with the authentic U. Imho all new ones are out of balance and none of these is iconic. Using the "wrong" U and even making the T a different size will never produce any improvement.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, being forthright I also prefer the emblem as it was with no T's in any form slapped on. Said as much from the beginning. But I suppose I like a challenge as an artist/designer.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well I'd certainly prefer to see something way more classic than anything they have been playing with so far period.

The elements that are improvements in Henrik's last two attempts are just that they are balanced better but they still don't look balanced and there are too many conflicting shapes. The advantage to the U in the circle logo that has been around forever is that the shapes blend well and are not battling. The fact that people think the logo changed to CUT kind of shows that internal struggle with so many battling shapes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What changes would rectify those issues for you, Brizz? Which elements of Henrik's previous concepts (prior to the selection of the current design) do you feel would be a better fit for the game's identity and brandmark? Essentially, what kind of design would you prefer to see as the UT logo and emblem?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't think the icon is very good messaging that you are going back to the main menu. I also think the T just makes the logo too heavy and really ruins the simple and readable design. Frankly, it's not very good. Some of your stabs are an improvement, Henrik, but they are still pretty awful and unbalanced as far as a logo goes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They wanted something to represent "home" other than the house icon.
    Why didn't they just say so??

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can see how in the context the icon is in, various emblems other than the U or UT with crescent could create confusion. They wanted something to represent "home" other than the house icon. Telling me that sooner might have helped me do my job better.

Trophy: Is it going to open a ladder/trophy room?
    Amp: Is it going to give me powerups?
    Flag: Is it going to load a CTF match?

and so on...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
    Of course I'm biased against the T in the first place but those are my thoughts, just a U is fine thanks.
    Likewise, a better icon will come out of just using the U. But if they really want a T in there, why not try one of those trophy concepts from a few pages back, make the trophy the T with the U in the middle of it or something?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, here's another stab at it. This should do it more justice. Keep in mind I just roughed it in and the final version would be much cleaner and more defined.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I dont think it's a definitive thing that they want to use a U and T in the logo, it could just simply be a trial run like most of what Epic does. As far as that logo above, it's more balanced than the one they have currently but the T scales twice as poorly when it's tiny. The U and T in the current build are about even sizes, so they scale relatively the same and I think I would rather have a U and T the same general scale, and I don't care for the style difference of the U and the T when seen together in one icon. For these reasons I would side against the tiny T, just have it better balanced and positioned than the CUT logo.

Of course I'm biased against the T in the first place but those are my thoughts, just a U is fine thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One more slightly different take on it, made more with readability concerns in mind:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Since we now know that they seem intent on one that uses the T, I would like to appeal to Epic one more time to use this or something closer to it, as it does not compromise the integrity of the emblem simply for the sake of making the T fit.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Alright well if it's not final then we have more time to play with it.

I liked what Elmur started with but the right hand side of the U kind of fell apart on it. So I made my own tweaks to the design and pushed it more towards a helical metal spikes behind the U, some of Henrik's earlier designs also had a helical look that I liked. Just playing with some FX and colors for a blue themed look. I realize the strokes wouldn't scale very well.

Also made a more italicized version sans the blue orb behind it. In my opinion the U in the completed circle looks unbalanced and off center so the super italic version fixes it a bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X