• Show
Clear All

Red on black & Blue on black:

Attached Files

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
      Papercoffee: Could you elaborate? It's meant to iconize, that is "read" well at any size, therefore it must be at least somewhat cartoony.
      I thought about some more "modern" trophy look.
      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Well, I've been thinking about that word... what does it really mean and is it always effective when taking it from one context to another? "Modern" in terms of a product design, may work for a product, say an actual trophy. But if you try to make a silhouette out of it, it no longer makes any logical sense. Modern in terms of a logo, to me that means clean, sharp, simple, as opposed to the overcomplex designs of the 90's and early 00's. Again, we want to communicate that it is a trophy, abstract shapes do not do this well. But you're welcome to give it a go.

The U emblem is stickied in a thread in the graphics section.
        Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 02-04-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Lol I like it but the shirt looks very sporty/UT2003-ish now heh. I can't see that catching on very well.
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I like the shirt design as a shirt design, but not as THE logo.

It seems we are almost back to square one. It feels as if the task at hand is to dream up an alternate design while retaining the existing U and font shapes.

Questions. Henrik, feel free to jump in but I am directing these at Epic.

1. Are we possibly abandoning the hoop circle crescent thingy for the Tournament design altogether?

2. I know we are talking here about modifying the emblem, but I am curious as to how will this effect the logo in its entirety. Will we still have the crescent on the full logo but have another design for the stand-alone emblem?
            Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with having a second version which functions only as an emblem. I already tried going the "U on its own" route during the initial full logo design process, and it was increasingly made clear by Chris that they wanted the text brought together with the U emblem more tightly and in that specific layout. That necessitated practically everything about the design as it exists and also made it all but guaranteed that at some point we would need to further explore standalone emblem tweaks. Because the crescent was made specifically to make that full text layout work as it does, rather large tweaks at that.

However, nothing they have said suggests they're thinking beyond adding a T, I'm just putting stuff out there. If for some reason they weren't 100% satisfied with what they have, (and I'm not suggesting that's the case), then I would like to be the one to fix it, or at least have reasonable opportunity to do so. But I think it's more of a case where they just want something symbol-wise that will delineate the difference between UE and UT even more clearly, and also function well for social media purposes like Twitter, FB and so on.

Comment

Sure, it makes sense for you to make the changes, although I see no issue with others chiming in with suggestions on how to tweak said design. I did ask the question regarding a stand-alone emblem when this design was being finalized to which you replied...

144 is easy to convert into a standalone emblem. What I will do with whichever is ultimately chosen is to refine the U positioning just slightly, to make sure both wordmark and emblem-only versions are balanced. In 144 I'd just add back in the upper right portion of the circle. It doesn't change its nature, as it's implied to be there behind the text, the way I have it now.
                Whatever happened to this idea?

As the norm, the final design will grow on me but you know I feel compelled to make my stodgy views known.
                Last edited by Crotale; 02-04-2015, 09:34 PM.
                Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Ah ...I see, you got me wrong.
                  with modern I meant only the shape of the trophy.

This are old fashioned or cartoony trophies:

Those are more "modern" trophies:

We had once very modern looking trophies in the UT franchise history:
                  This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Edit-------------------
                  Darn ...can I request a spoiler tag for huge pictures?
                  Sorry, this post got bigger then expected.
                  Last edited by _Lynx; 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM. Reason: fixed the tags to make image smaller, hope you don't mind :p
                  ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

papercoffee, you can use the shot tags. [ shot]link[/ shot] sans spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                      Sure, it makes sense for you to make the changes, although I see no issue with others chiming in with suggestions on how to tweak said design. I did ask the question regarding a stand-alone emblem when this design was being finalized to which you replied...

Whatever happened to this idea?

As the norm, the final design will grow on me but you know I feel compelled to make my stodgy views known.
                      Chris didn't agree.

Comment

I don't care for the logo still either but thems the breaks. I will stand behind it because that is what was picked. However I'm just confused about changing the style of something that has been so consistent in previous games (referring to the game icon style).
                        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I know you meant the shape papercoffee, my point stands. What you've presented is just what I said: abstract shapes. Yeah, there is probably a combination of shapes that could look good against the U, but whether it will say trophy is harder to judge, and let's just say I went for what I did to make a point and make it clearly. Can it be refined? Sure.

Comment

Can it be refined? Sure.

btw... just toying around with shapes ...and this is one idea.

Attached Files

Comment

I'd say the left version is the one most fitting. I say this because the intent of the logo was to express the Tournament as a large focal point, with the U's presence being overly obvious due to the shape. It looks great but is such a stark departure from every single version of the Unreal emblem library.

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...9&d=1423030365

Comment

Being a stark departure was probably the point, and on the other hand, it's "old school" in a way too. But to be honest I don't like that solution much - even though I designed it. To me it's still mashing in a T to a design I didn't originally intend to use that way. To that end, the small T that fills in space on the side and conforms to the U is more well balanced and serves a purpose to fill that space that people sometimes mention caused by the crescent.

Comment

Working...
                                X