Armor Pickup Representation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Armor Pickup Representation

I've seen a couple concepts for Armor so far, but there's been a bit of disagreement about whether we go with a physical model or an iconic representation. I do not want to rehash arguments about which is better and why - we've already had that discussion, please don't go there. Instead, we were hoping that someone could come up with a concept that can make both sides happy(ish).

Right now, we're using the UT3 Armor models, which are all shiny and greebley and just "too much". We don't want another Knight's suit of armor.

The Helmet model is nice since it implies functionality (headshot protection), but the same is not true of the pads.

We don't need to be tied to those old models if we can find something that works better. As an example, what if armor was replaced by actual physical shields (kite shield for vest, round shield instead of thigh pads)? Maybe the Chest is good, but only the pads need to be replaced by the shield. Maybe the pads are replaced by a shield and the center plate of the chest piece is "shield shaped" so show that it is the same only stronger. Maybe its a small vest and a larger flak vest with no shield. Whatever.

Have any ideas? Be creative, let us know what you think!
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

An armour pickup can add funtionality to the impact hammer, so it can then show a projectile of a shield gun? It can be resetted after 30 seconds just like the DD?? (just an idea)

Comment

Very general comment:

I'm not in favour of having too many customizable options in the game, but wouldn't it make sense in this case to go for both a more symbolic/minimalistic and a realistic approach as two different options for pickup representation? Both make sense for different kinds of players, both take a very different artistical approach. Don't know if that idea's been discussed and off the table, though.

Also, yes, especially thigh pads are just so ... unspectacular. In that regard I liked UT2k4's concept better, which was kind of a mixture of symbolic & shiny enough visuals.

Comment

3d icon.

Attached Files

Comment

I really like ut2004 system, big and small shield, can it be simpler then that?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Lea_100a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	337597
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Lea_50a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	607.8 KB
ID:	337598

Comment

I prefer 2kx style armor icons (same for 25 health packs) and I really hate the armor pickups we have in UT4 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
              I really like ut2004 system, big and small shield, can it be simpler then that?
              Neato! (10chars)

Comment

Return armor of Unreal Tournament 2004. In Unreal Tournament 4, it is practically useless. For some reason, very quickly broken. 100 Armor, 50 armor and one protection from headshot.

Comment

Yes I really like Ut2004 armour pikcups, both visually and iconically. Return 2k4 armours!

Comment

I don't think going full 2kX models is the right way to go. Conversely, the UT3 models are way too busy.

Instead of just yelling to bring back the 2kX models, how about suggesting some ways that the pickups could be less busy and yet still more detailed than the icons of 2kX?
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I really prefer the representational armor, but the UT3 models are just mushy and unclear. Mostly because the material is totally uniform and glossy all over, which is awful for distinguishing items quickly except as globs of gold/bronze.

Something like these are just so much sharper and cleaner than what we have now.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                      Attached Files
                      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Honestly I think that an icon based armour system would be more fitting than an armour suit system. In 2k4 the bright orange shield shaped pickups are clearly recognisable as something desirable and they really fit within a sport-like theme which 2k4 pulled of very nicely imo. It's also quite clear which shield is better (I remember playing ut3 for the first time and thinking: "why does a belt give me more armour than a chestplate") which is something which will help newer players and could potentially make the game more understandable. Either way, if one makes it into the core game I think the other should be available for free on the marketplace, or heck, even as an option in game.

I also think that it would be nice to have the option of a 2d sprite pickup like in quake which would make items very visible from across the map although it's obviously not necessary

I might try and 3d model some cool shield shapes in the future although i'll have to pick up a 3d software :|

EDIT:

Just thought i'd show a cool way that reflex has chosen to represent their armour pickups. They're easily recognisable as armour vests (the image doesn't quite do them justice) and they're easy to spot from a distance:

Last edited by Flikswich; 04-23-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: Typo...
                        :|

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                          I don't think going full 2kX models is the right way to go. Conversely, the UT3 models are way too busy.

Instead of just yelling to bring back the 2kX models, how about suggesting some ways that the pickups could be less busy and yet still more detailed than the icons of 2kX?
                          Nobody is yelling, we're simply stating our preferences. Cut the hyperbole for once and stop trying to tell everyone what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                            Nobody is yelling, we're simply stating our preferences. Cut the hyperbole for once and stop trying to tell everyone what to do.
                            Sorry, but Jim specifically stated in the very first post of this thread that that discussion has already happened and this isn't the place for it. He's looking for a solution somewhere in between.

So why don't you try telling Jim to stop telling everyone what to do.
                            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I was working on one , but didn't finish.. And probably can only work on this next week. This is just a test I did last week.

My idea was mainly, dead body. We were getting rehashed armors and other stuff from warriors killed in the tournament(This is just LORE), and the pickup could be Hologram. The orange square was where I was going to put the armor.
                              Attached Files
                              work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Working...
                              X