Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Person taunts and weapon idles

Hey guys,

So Epic reached out to me about a month ago and I've been doing some 1st person animations for them as an experiment in new ways to have taunts.
    It's been locked away pretty much but i thought I'd share with you guys some ideas I was playing around with. We're not sure which- if any, will end up being used. but I think they're pretty fun.

We have taunts, which would be a new thing for UT to have in 1st person, and weapon idling animations. Sometimes in games, if you sit around extra animations will play, I've always really enjoyed these, even if they don't necessarily add to the gameplay, they add to the *feel* of the game. And in this case, it lets us show off the weapon models even more, which could be fun. Anyway! Here they are! What do you think? does something like this interest you?

also:
    what are some ideas people could think of for Necris and/or Skaarj taunts?
    http://i.imgur.com/Ht4ckmL.jpg

Not sure about some of the complex ones like with RL, but that aim-down-sight with Enforcer is quite fun.
    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
    - RenegadeRetard

Comment

I love the ideas and I actually think the rocket stuff is hilarious, but I don't like the over the top movement of the guns. I would make it much more subtle, it seems kinda cringeworthy as it is now IMO. Good work though

And also... I noticed even in your 3rd person taunts... you like to play with fingers a lot and I don't know if I'm alone, but to me it seems, like the fingers were boneless, floating with the movement. It is not really possible to even replicate in real life how the fingers react to fast movement in your taunts

For Skaarj the first thing that comes to mind would be Wolverine like blade shooting out of his wrist armor, sharpening it or whatever
      Last edited by Spector CZ; 12-30-2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

I definitely love finger movements, I try to use them a lot so it's not as static. I also come from a less realism background as far as animation styles go, with curves and flowing motion, so that tends to happen sometimes. I usually push things way over the top and then kind of dial it back. UT's stuff has always been incredibly stiff to me, but this could certainly be foo far. They're experiments

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
          I definitely love finger movements, I try to use them a lot so it's not as static. I also come from a less realism background as far as animation styles go, with curves and flowing motion, so that tends to happen sometimes. I usually push things way over the top and then kind of dial it back. UT's stuff has always been incredibly stiff to me, but this could certainly be foo far. They're experiments
          I totally understand I would like to see UT being much more... less serious as well, so I am in favour of being it a bit over the top It's just my personal opinion, that some movements went just a bit too far for my taste, but that's just MY tase, nothing more And I honestly hope your 3rd person taunts will get in the game as well, as those are fantastic.

Comment

Really cool stuff! I should tell you that some RL idle animations look absurd xD

PS: What about Dual Enforcer??

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Originally posted by Spector CZ View Post
              I totally understand I would like to see UT being much more... less serious as well, so I am in favour of being it a bit over the top It's just my personal opinion, that some movements went just a bit too far for my taste, but that's just MY tase, nothing more And I honestly hope your 3rd person taunts will get in the game as well, as those are fantastic.
              I value it! Honestly when I look at them I feel maybe they're more at home with TF2, which is fun but thats not UT. I personally will gravitate towards the TF 2 style almost always unless someone swats my hands because I REALLY enjoy that style. Snappy, fluid, lots of personality. It's an animator's playground. But theres a time and place for it. I think every single one of them could be toned back as needed, even the wacky rocket juggle, which I absolutely admit is totally stupid. I just got the idea and then felt compelled to do it, haha. I think I could tone that back to maybe two juggles, or even one (out of the chamber, back into it) and that would work probably.

3rd person stuff is still definitely on the table, I have more coming for those too. I'm glad you dig what I've been doing, though. And it's cool to criticize and dislike things too. Most of what I've been doing is making stuff and people are telling me they always love it. Which is nice, feels good, but even I look at some of these and go "eeeeeehhhhhhh, nah".

Skaarj: I'd love to do the blade sharpening one. I actually did one where he slices it on the ground and makes a spark (in theory) but the blades is sweet. Assuming he has them on both hands. Or whatever, we'll just give him both

Rap:
              Dual enforcer is definitely one I want to play with. I think doing a double fisted gun spin would be sick.
              Last edited by R.E.D.; 12-30-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Keep up the good work red. I'm a long time user of taunts in UT but I never use them in this ut. Until they make you be able to move out of it like in other ut's it's kind of a useless function. You taunt and you die basically currently.
                Join the community Facebook page
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

I think we should be able to dabb on 'em Cam Newton style.

Headshot! Dabb on 'em. Flag Cap! Dabb on 'em. Denied! Dabb on 'em.

I can see it already.
                  NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                  My movies on YouTube:
                  UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
                  , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
                  UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

I think the best stuff is in bits and pieces of what you have there. for example, loading a rocket - sure, why not do a quick and fancy yet simple thing like place the rocket on top then catch it into the chamber, instead of this whole complex flipping routine going out then in again... that's a wee bit pointless, and many of these follow the same theme. Likewise, he could rip a rocket out and fling it over his shoulder, then jam another one in as though he's frustrated it jammed and that is the excuse for missing a frag. These don't all need to be thought of as taunts, but more like emotives and flair I guess.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Thanks for the reply, R.E.D.

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
                      I would like to tell you just a little thing about the "come here" taunt at 0:06.

The animations look fluid but, personally, I would change the positions of the left palm, the left arm and its elbow: as far as I'm concerned, they look a bit too flat. I would suggest to place them a bit more flexed/curved in the position before the main animation ("come here") of the taunt. For me, it would seem more natural.

-Luigi Rapetta
                      (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                      Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Great work. You've done well.
                        Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                          Keep up the good work red. I'm a long time user of taunts in UT but I never use them in this ut. Until they make you be able to move out of it like in other ut's it's kind of a useless function. You taunt and you die basically currently.
                          You absolutely need to be able to cancel a taunt, 100% agree with that. I'm not sure why that isn't implemented yet, but my guess is just that it's not a huge priority for them compared to other stuff.

Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^ View Post
                          I think we should be able to dabb on 'em Cam Newton style.

Headshot! Dabb on 'em. Flag Cap! Dabb on 'em. Denied! Dabb on 'em.

I can see it already.
                          I had to look this up, but hilarious! I dig it.
                          for anyone else like me who had no idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mnyEkhQGcs

Dances are definitely something I need to start working on. With full 100% honestly: the only reason I haven't is that using the UT rig is pretty cumbersome sometimes, and dances are really complicated, so I've avoided it. haha.

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                          I think the best stuff is in bits and pieces of what you have there. for example, loading a rocket - sure, why not do a quick and fancy yet simple thing like place the rocket on top then catch it into the chamber, instead of this whole complex flipping routine going out then in again... that's a wee bit pointless, and many of these follow the same theme. Likewise, he could rip a rocket out and fling it over his shoulder, then jam another one in as though he's frustrated it jammed and that is the excuse for missing a frag. These don't all need to be thought of as taunts, but more like emotives and flair I guess.
                          I agree with you, these are basically just sketches and brainstorms. As such, they can be stripped down, simplified, etc. Note the "weapon idle" animations go to about 1:44, everything after that is meant to be a taunt. Ripping a rocket out and tossing it is pretty funny, would that be a taunt.. emote or.. idle? hard to say. as an idle probably not, because it would only happen after doing nothing for a long period of time. But maybe? I had an idea to try shooting the enforcer pistol a bunch and then realizing the safety is on, sighing, and flicking it off. Thats sort of similar. Though pretty elaborate again, so I think the next I'll do are more subtle, just to put those in the mix

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                            Thanks for the reply, R.E.D.

I would like to tell you just a little thing about the "come here" taunt at 0:06.

The animations look fluid but, personally, I would change the positions of the left palm, the left arm and its elbow: as far as I'm concerned, they look a bit too flat. I would suggest to place them a bit more flexed/curved in the position before the main animation ("come here") of the taunt. For me, it would seem more natural.
                            I see what you're saying, I purposely made the hand super flat as it was meant for a Necris and I was trying to make it a more deliberate, almost robotic motion. Any of these taunts though, we could put on others and modifying them is pretty easy.

Comment

How could I miss this thread! Looks like a great addition to the game Keep up the good work, hope it will find its place.
                              I think it is a great way to show more of the beauty of the weapons in 1st person.

A few ideas:
                              - Grab Flak-Shell and show the Smilie-Face on it
                              - Juggle with 3 Flak-Shells
                              - Throw the weapon in use on the ground in your rage :P (maybe in combination with toss weapon feature)
                              - Would love to see the middle-finger in some (maybe funny) way. Pull him out of a rocket barrel or sth
                              - Show counting fingers (2 ... 3 ... 4 ... ) to show of how many times you killed someone

Comment

Working...
                              X