No announcement yet.

1st Person taunts and weapon idles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-Flak ball showing and juggling I definitely wanted to have. We haven't done anything yet though because I don't have a rig for it.
    -Throwing the weapon I thought about too, but I wasn't sure if it would look stupid since you have to pick it back up, haha.
    -Middle finger I wasn't sure if we CAN have due to you know, a public setting with ratings and stuff. But I talked with them about it annnnnnnd they said try
    -finger counting! Nice idea!

Thanks!

Comment

looks dope but who has time for it in game lel

Comment

Thats the fun part!
        In theory, if you're choosing to do it, you are making the active decision to put yourself at risk. Is it worth it to you, just to rub it in?

I kind of think of it like smash bros. TF2 does it also. For the most part they should be fairly quick

Comment

I like this idea a lot but I have a few questions...

Will they be tied to the standard 3rd person taunt animations, or will they have their own separate keybinds?
          Will there be equivalent 3rd person animations that match the 1st person ones and vice-versa?
          How and/or will they still work if you use Hidden Weapons?
          And will it be possible to disable any taunts that were automatic, such as the idle taunts?

As for feedback, maybe it's too early to tell, but...

The animations in the videos above to me look a bit over-dramatized and exaggerated. Some of the quick movements feel a bit cartoony and Sims-like. It would be cool if they were toned-down in this regard and made to have a more aggressive and deliberate attitude.

Originally posted by code187 View Post
          Keep up the good work red. I'm a long time user of taunts in UT but I never use them in this ut. Until they make you be able to move out of it like in other ut's it's kind of a useless function. You taunt and you die basically currently.
          Tapping your crouch key cancels the taunt.

Comment

Talking smash bros, I tant evey time I kill, there is one I love, I main bowser, whene I place a spike, I go at the extreme limit of the stage, and launch the down taunt, Bowser just start to walk and totally loose his ballance and swing around almost falling off the stage stupidly, and quickly catch up, I offered my back for the spawn protect period to my ennemy, but I laugthed my *** off, so even if I loose a life, I'm happy.

On tf2, I also love to step on my victime bodies dancing the conga.

Comment

Will they be tied to the standard 3rd person taunt animations, or will they have their own separate keybinds?
              -
              Currently the idea is to have 1st person and 3rd person taunts be the same and exact length. So when you do a taunt in 1st person, it's seen from the other player as 3rd. Same key.

Will there be equivalent 3rd person animations that match the 1st person ones and vice-versa?
              - See above

How and/or will they still work if you use Hidden Weapons?
              - Good question! I actually have no idea at all.

And will it be possible to disable any taunts that were automatic, such as the idle taunts?
              - Also a good question. I'd figure yes, but I don't know. Presumably that would only happen if you were idling for a while. Or in another menu showing off the gun.

As for feedback, maybe it's too early to tell, but...

The animations in the videos above to me look a bit over-dramatized and exaggerated. Some of the quick movements feel a bit cartoony and Sims-like. It would be cool if they were toned-down in this regard and made to have a more aggressive and deliberate attitude.

-
              There hasn't been a style chosen for the game yet, so this has been where I end up doing my first pass stuff. I always tend to go more over the top than necessary and then dial it back. Some of these probably need a lot of dialing back. But others people have said they like as is, so... It's hard to tell sometimes! They should be worked over a few times to get it right.

As another point you didn't ask but I want to mention:
              -Some 3rd person taunts won't work as a 1st person one at all. So those wouldn't get additional 1stP versions

Comment

this needs to happen over pelvic thrusts and no no no taunts

Comment

wow 1st Person Hands for Necris or Skaarj Trooper

Comment

Originally posted by R.Riddick View Post
                    this needs to happen over pelvic thrusts and no no no taunts
                    Incidentally, I'm working on that this week

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
                      Incidentally, I'm working on that this week
                      u shooting for mvp of the week title man. as to animation cancel trigger, it shall be any mouse movement or any key press. If you cancel out of it instantly it will be really fun. also most top tier players play with weapons hidden, so it will not much matter for fps point of view, it is just to irritate opponents and stuff like that

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
                        There hasn't been a style chosen for the game yet
                        This isn't really the message those of us who have been trying to make art for the game previously have received from upstairs. It's always been "more realism" in terms of model designs etc, and if that's the case, then having funky exaggerated anims probably wouldn't fit with that. Also, the more exaggerated you go with anims the more weirdness happens in the meshes from stretching etc.

But, personally I'd like to see some amount of fun in the taunts. Hard to judge til we see it in game.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                          This isn't really the message those of us who have been trying to make art for the game previously have received from upstairs. It's always been "more realism" in terms of model designs etc, and if that's the case, then having funky exaggerated anims probably wouldn't fit with that. Also, the more exaggerated you go with anims the more weirdness happens in the meshes from stretching etc.

But, personally I'd like to see some amount of fun in the taunts. Hard to judge til we see it in game.
                          I agree with you on both fronts, but trust me when I say I've talked to them all repeatedly and asked "what animation style should these be?" And it always comes off vague. Kind of sounds like what you're saying: realistic but fun. But Ahhhh those conflict sometimes. Some of the guys at Epic aren't even bothered by the more snappy stuff. It'll need to be a balance. I think the visual art is a lot easier for Chris to nail down because he's that kind of an artist and knows what he wants. Animations though, they're more vague.

What I think the most beneficial thing will be is seeing them running around in game on the high rez models, and seeing how that feels. I get close with the grey ones, but those models drive it home.

We can expect just like everything else with the game, when i put into it will get worked over a few times before it's truly final.

So basically. We're on the same page

Comment

Looking good, I might check this out to do taunts since I specialize in animation

Comment

Originally posted by IPoteven View Post
                              Looking good, I might check this out to do taunts since I specialize in animation
                              Right on man, Let me know if you're going to, because getting set up is a bit of a pain. I tried to make a guide for it on another thread but even then it can be a bit tricky

Comment

Just finished watching the stream and I gotta say I'm very excited to see what you'll try out in the future! I've always been a big fan of the taunts, both animated and spoken. Even though they don't add much to the gameplay, they add so much to the character and mood of the game and just make it really fun.

I can see now where your background is influencing the style, and also since Epic haven't given you a specific one to go for. I haven't played UC2, but from what was mentioned in the stream, some of that stuff sounds like it would be great in UT4! It'd definitely add to the appeal and fun of the different character models beyond just different textures and hats.

So what do you think about "modular taunts"? Would that even be possible? I had mentioned that in another thread regarding the spoken ones. In previous games, couple of friends and I would banter back and forth with them: "You like that?" "Oh yeah!" "You *****!" - Fun stuff like that. So I thought, what if that was taken further to give us the option to "string together" a couple of different ones into complete sentences. Maybe it'd be a little excessive though, who knows? But it might be interesting to try that with the animated ones as a way of further "customizing" your character. And having animations to "interact" with other players, via a high-five or whatever, would be pretty fun too.

The other type of spoken ones that I really liked were the weapon-specific ones in UT3. "The assassin's choice!" -Necris taunt for a Sniper Rifle kill. "Gagagaga-goooooo" -Liandri robot taunt for a Bio Rifle kill; etc. Those were a lot of fun even though only the bots were able to use them. I hope we get those in UT4 and if we do, it'd be cool to tie them in together with the animated ones.

One or two "out of character" taunt animations would be pretty fun as well, I suppose... Have a Necris drop on the ground and do the worm... Or one of the robots twerking... awful, but hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X