No announcement yet.

1st Person taunts and weapon idles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea of modular taunts sounds really interesting. Stacey was talking about how back in the day she'd have "conversations" with the voice taunts at the end of a match. I think it's really fun but also hard to properly "string together" I feel like the only way to do it would be to have short ones that could be cued up quickly after another ends. But I'm not sure!

There are other ideas we haven't explored yet, but I'd like to:
    -looping taunts
    -weapon specific taunts
    -context sensitive taunts (think about TF2 or Portal 2 with the high fives)

And after that I'd like to figure out something to have uniquely UT of possible. Right now we're just kind of walking other's footsteps, which is cool. But if we can do something to make us stand out, even better.

Also regarding the silly stuff: Thats hard, isn't it? The game looks so serious but then you can buy a hat which is a cardboard box on your head... People want silly, silly sells (Just look at Destiny's emotes) and yet the visual direction of the game is pretty serious. It's a real puzzle. Thats why I've been trying to do a mix of serious or over the top things. So we have ideas to look at and go "okay maybe not that"

So far though, very few things have been rejected outright. So the puzzle aint solved at all. haha.
    http://i.imgur.com/Ht4ckmL.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
      Also regarding the silly stuff: Thats hard, isn't it? The game looks so serious but then you can buy a hat which is a cardboard box on your head... People want silly, silly sells (Just look at Destiny's emotes) and yet the visual direction of the game is pretty serious. It's a real puzzle.
      Yeah, that's true. But think about the pelvic thrust. It's been in every UT and it's THE taunt that comes to mind when one thinks "UT Taunt"... but it's pretty much a silly taunt. I guess the real question to ask would be "what kind of sillyness fits UT?", rather than "does sillyness fit UT?" It definitely has its place, but it has to be done right. Maybe it's not the emote itself, but the styling/attitude of it that has a bigger impact - snappy/bouncy movements vs. rigid/aggressive ones.

My idea of "modular taunts" came from seeing players "combining" the current ones. One really creative and hilarious combination I saw someone use in UT4 was to spam the pelvic thrust at full speed, stop it mid-thrust, quickly toss all their weapons and then feign death. Lost my s**t when I first saw it. I'm imagining an "animations menu" wherein you could pick which taunts you want for what keys, but also a "customize/create your own taunts" section that would let players configure, say, "pelvic thrust a", "pelvic thrust b", and "slit throat b" where each of these is a "section" of the full animation. Then you'd bind that to one key, and in-game, it would play that string of animations as a single, complete emote. But I'm not entirely sure how or even if that would work at all. Just typing ****...

And of course, the different factions should have their own stylings. Skaarj could be reptilian with tribal or Predator movements; Necris more austere and arrogant; Robots more mechanical. But that'll be up to Epic to make the call on those.

Good luck with all of this! From a technical perspective (not that I'm an animator), your animations look very well done and promising.

Comment

Just finished watching the video and just had to say... SWEET, KEEP AT IT!! I felt a sudden twinge of guilt when you said that because I was one of those. But hey, there are so many different areas to focus on and what you're doing is really cool and encouragement is better than crickets.
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Thanks guys! Hey M^uL! I saw your name and was like "oh it's my buddy M^uL!" no need to feel bad. appreciate the encouragement

Comment

The salute animation in particular reminds a lot on Tracer from Overwatch.

inb4 somebody squeeks "Cheers luvs, da Cavalry is here"... ugh

Nice work by the way. When do we get the hip thrust?
            Check out my work!
            | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
            | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
              The salute animation in particular reminds a lot on Tracer from Overwatch.

inb4 somebody squeeks "Cheers luvs, da Cavalry is here"... ugh

Nice work by the way. When do we get the hip thrust?
              Aw man, are you hating on tracer? She's awesome

but for real, I didn't even reference the game when i made that, haha. You're not wrong though, it's a bit playful. I have this working in game now but I toned it down.

Pelvic Thrust: this week! Thats when!
              At least thats when I'll finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
                Aw man, are you hating on tracer? She's awesome
                The internet ruined her for me.
                Check out my work!
                | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                | Localization

Comment

I'd really like if the shock rifle "boom!" taunt didn't disable you from using the weapon so you could do the taunt right as you detonate the core.

Originally posted by code187
                  some of the players online will be godliked by a gust of wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Micalexan View Post
                    I'd really like if the shock rifle "boom!" taunt didn't disable you from using the weapon so you could do the taunt right as you detonate the core.
                    Right AS you detonate is an interesting idea. we could do that by not lowering the gun. I'll think about that. Kind of plays into someone else who wants to throw the middle finger at all times

Comment

IF that's actually desirable behavior it should be doable with some kind of "upper body taunt" blend space.
                      Such that the taunt has a lower priority on all bits but the off arm

Comment

Yeah, simple enough, but could look really awkward depending on whats being blended and how. Like the gun arm is pretty pushed back with his spine rotated to the side of camera. The taunt would have to be more restrained and not move the spine much, which could make the gun or the "boom" arm look weird.
                        definitely possible, but something we'd have to play with

Comment

Well, looking at the editor currently it looks like the FP taunts are separate sequences than the 3p anims anyway.

So the 1p stuff could have more radical motion than the 3p stuff. So long as the main axis of the weapon is inline with the firing point the overall illusion of shot origin should be well enough preserved.

Mayhaps can mess with it later on.

Comment

This is correct. 1st and 3rdP are separate anims and when i make them, they have to be timed out to match. So while I'm 100% sure I can get it to work in 1st, it's 3rd that I'm more wary of. But thats what we're here for, to test

Comment

Ahem...

Still working on it and timing it with the 3rd P one. But hey.. there it is

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X