Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Person taunts and weapon idles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
    Hehe, looks like you're having fun with this

    Nice btw.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
      Right on man, Let me know if you're going to, because getting set up is a bit of a pain. I tried to make a guide for it on another thread but even then it can be a bit tricky
      I sent you a friend request, I'll keep you in touch

      Comment


        #48
        I think the camera should moove a bit for some animations, like for the trust, it felt like you really only mooved your arms.

        Comment


          #49
          Originally posted by Shkikri View Post
          I think the camera should moove a bit for some animations, like for the trust, it felt like you really only mooved your arms.
          I think it should be based on the View Bob settings in the game. 0 View bob doesn't move the view camera at all. Competitive players who don't like view bob and camera shake effects will prefer it that way, because it messes up their aim - I mean, why not just taunt to make your opponent come out of cover right into your reticle
          Check out my work!
          | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
          | Localization

          Comment


            #50
            Hey RED, I'm just starting to get involved here (just playing the game right now, this is my first time on the forums!). Since in the video you were saying the animation section of the forum is quite quiet, I thought I'd come give you some love ;D

            So far I think things are looking pretty great. Sure, lots of people are talking about the silliness of some of the taunts, but as someone else said, silliness has always been a part of UT, so it's more a question of what kind of silliness. To me, that kind of silliness has always leaned toward the raunchy, inappropriate humour, which I think plays well with the realistic art content and mature feel of the game in general. Naturally, as you said, ratings etc. will play a role in just how inappropriate we can be! My other point I'd like to make is that although there is that level of silliness, the "cartoony-ness" (ugh, so eloquent) doesn't play well, though as you said that can and should be based on the character being animated. But of course it's WIP, just my humble two cents.

            Having said all that, dances would be hilarious, though I know you don't want to work on them. Just remember you don't have to make big long dance. League of Legends has dance anims for all the champs, and some of them like Master Yi are very simple. Yi simply does the "running man" dance, it's probably like a 0.5 second loop.

            Want funny dance ideas? The Point to the Lord might be funny.

            https://youtu.be/2HiuCaaQhxg

            Also, Chris Tucker had sick moves in Rush Hour:

            https://youtu.be/8day7cqufmQ?t=18s

            Also this video is seriously jam-packed with hilarious dance moves: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ (seriously, though, it is).

            I think with some of these ideas you could make some dance anims that are very simple and short yet still great!
            -- Rodeo

            Comment


              #51
              RED this is awesome!!! I hope epic is watching this thread!

              Comment


                #52
                This is actually a feature that I never expected to see mentioned for UT. It is really awesome . This gives us an idea of how reckless some participants on this tournament can be. Also the fact of seeing the character play with the weapons can make these look more real in the sense of having maybe somehow of a better understanding of how the weapon works, example :
                SHOCK RIFLE : in all the UTs I always wanted to know what sound it would be when you remove the shock cell, and also how do you actually remove magazines on each weapons since you never reload it. (except on Unreal with the enforcer)

                Because honestly sometimes it feels kind of empty when you press a taunt key and you don't see what you did except when you are in 3rd person.
                Anyways keep up the good work, and I hope this will get implemented.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Hey guys! First of all: Thanks again
                  Appreciate all the comments and encouragement. I'm glad you like where things are going!

                  I just wanted to pop in here and let you know a whole bunch of the taunts are definitely being implemented. I'm not entirely sure when that will go live to everyone else, but I've created over 10 which are functioning on my engine right now. And more to come for sure

                  The inspects are back burnered for the moment. They are all ideas, but we wanted to get some stuff actually working before GDC. We'll see how that goes.

                  Also- COMPLETELY off topic but I spent a lot of time in January on a personal project which was the launch of a Chrono trigger album i worked on for about 2 years, with 200+ people.
                  http://www.chroniclesoftime.net/

                  That has absolutely nothing to do with UT, but we're gamers here, I figured someone on here may appreciate it! I managed the project and created a whole bunch of art for it. I haven't stepped into concept art for UT yet, but it's certainly something I'm capable of.

                  Anywaaaaay, hopefully these taunts will make it out your way soon! Cheers!

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by lockdownRodeo View Post
                    Hey RED, I'm just starting to get involved here (just playing the game right now, this is my first time on the forums!). Since in the video you were saying the animation section of the forum is quite quiet, I thought I'd come give you some love ;D

                    So far I think things are looking pretty great. Sure, lots of people are talking about the silliness of some of the taunts, but as someone else said, silliness has always been a part of UT, so it's more a question of what kind of silliness. To me, that kind of silliness has always leaned toward the raunchy, inappropriate humour, which I think plays well with the realistic art content and mature feel of the game in general. Naturally, as you said, ratings etc. will play a role in just how inappropriate we can be! My other point I'd like to make is that although there is that level of silliness, the "cartoony-ness" (ugh, so eloquent) doesn't play well, though as you said that can and should be based on the character being animated. But of course it's WIP, just my humble two cents.

                    Having said all that, dances would be hilarious, though I know you don't want to work on them. Just remember you don't have to make big long dance. League of Legends has dance anims for all the champs, and some of them like Master Yi are very simple. Yi simply does the "running man" dance, it's probably like a 0.5 second loop.

                    Want funny dance ideas? The Point to the Lord might be funny.

                    https://youtu.be/2HiuCaaQhxg

                    Also, Chris Tucker had sick moves in Rush Hour:

                    https://youtu.be/8day7cqufmQ?t=18s

                    Also this video is seriously jam-packed with hilarious dance moves: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ (seriously, though, it is).

                    I think with some of these ideas you could make some dance anims that are very simple and short yet still great!
                    Wanted to respond to this too: Thanks! It's not that I'm against doing dances entirely, it's mostly a time management thing. Trying to use what time i have to do stuff we wouldn't later mocap. There are definitely some I think of doing anyway.. and like you said they can (and should really0 be simple loops. But even that can be time consuming where it might be better to wait. I have a billion ideas, but managing them all is pretty tough some times, haha.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by InVader View Post
                      I think it should be based on the View Bob settings in the game. 0 View bob doesn't move the view camera at all. Competitive players who don't like view bob and camera shake effects will prefer it that way, because it messes up their aim - I mean, why not just taunt to make your opponent come out of cover right into your reticle
                      I should have used multiquote..
                      anyway. I definitely would like the camera to move with these taunts as well. Some of them feel really, really weird without any movement whatsoever. It's just something I have to test, but haven't done so yet.

                      The real issue with the 1stP stuff is that it all functions on a totally different file and skeletal pose. And I mean.. under the zero plane with the body not rotated at all and so on.


                      (These are not even SLIGHTLY similar)

                      Because UT has never, ever had this type of functionality.. it wasn't a big deal to basically have the weapon animations functioning completely different and independent from the rest of the animations. But now, if I want to transfer a 3rd P to 1st and visa versa, I actually can't. I have to recreate whichever one I need (1st or 3rd) and it's a massive pain. So likewise, I can't just link the camera to the head or body and get movement.. it all has to be redone from scratch.
                      Sometimes I can sort of force it, but even then it's a lot of editing to make it work properly.

                      Anyway, just mentioning this because I tell you if it wasn't that way it would be so much faster and easier to do tests. Just add it to the list!
                      Last edited by R.E.D.; 03-03-2016, 11:20 PM.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Hey R.E.D. , I'm assuming the new taunt animations are yours? Fantastic, hilarious stuff!

                        Now all we need is animated portraits shown to both enemy and self and some great voices to go with 'em!
                        Last edited by MΛuL; 04-02-2016, 12:29 AM.
                        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                          Now all we need is animated portraits shown to both enemy and self and some great voices to go with 'em!
                          You mean something like DOTA2 portraits? It would be perfect!

                          -Luigi Rapetta
                          (rapfamily4)

                          My projects list:
                          Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                            Hey R.E.D. , I'm assuming the new taunt animations are yours? Fantastic, hilarious stuff!

                            Now all we need is animated portraits shown to both enemy and self and some great voices to go with 'em!
                            Thanks! I'm not sure which ones are fully in game now, but I revised and added every single taunt in there currently, so if it's there, I made it

                            Portraits would be pretty fun, the guy below mentioned DotA2, got a ref for that?

                            Eventually we want facial for these anims too. That should really push them to the next level

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
                              Thanks! I'm not sure which ones are fully in game now, but I revised and added every single taunt in there currently, so if it's there, I made it

                              Portraits would be pretty fun, the guy below mentioned DotA2, got a ref for that?

                              Eventually we want facial for these anims too. That should really push them to the next level
                              Well, I made a video of them so you can see which ones made it .

                              Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                                You mean something like DOTA2 portraits? It would be perfect!
                                I'm not a DOTA2 player but I just found some gameplay footage on YouTube. It looks like the animated player portrait is always showing which you wouldn't want in UT. In UT99, the portraits showed at the top left of the screen during a taunt and all later UT's slid in a portrait from the left side of the screen and then slid it off once the taunt was over.

                                We've never had animated portraits which would be a blast. I would like the person doing the taunt be able to see at least part of the gestures in the portrait without going to 3rd person. The flip side of that is going to 3rd person punishes you a little for taunting so it would be spammed less.

                                My perfect scenario would be to have my old UT99 "Ha ha ha" Skaarj voice taunt with gestures and facial animation instead of having to type LOL every time something funny happens and have the portrait appear on both the taunter and tauntee's screen.
                                Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X