Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please bring back some of the signature UT movement animations.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Please bring back some of the signature UT movement animations.

I would love to see some of the more Epic animation from Unreal Tournament back in this new game. I felt really disappointed that they were not implemented in the last UT3. Please see below:

1. Dodge roll/Front flip animation: To me one of the things that separated UT from the rest when it first came out was the ability to "Dodge." Back when Quake 3 or Counter Strike came out neither of them had this mechanic. Not only did dodging feel so good, it was also very helpful to get you out of bad situations. But what impressed me the most, was the fact that it looked so awesome to do a frontflip; that it made you look like a bad ***. I loved seeing someone do a front flip before firing a load of rockets in midair or doing a shock combo while doing a frontflip. To me this gave you style of play no other game could match. Unfortunately, this animation got taken out in the newer versions of UT, which was a big turn off for me.

2. Wall Dodging: for some reason the wall dodge animation got taken out in UT3. Or maybe they didn’t think it was important. In UT2k3 when it was introduced it looked so good to see someone dodge of a wall; you could see the legs pushing against the wall to gain some momentum. Furthermore, you could also do backflips and frontflips when dodging off a wall by doing a forward dodge or backward dodge respectively. This looked so awesome to me, and made it more enjoyable to spectate matches. Again for some reason these were taken out in UT3. Your character would just bounce of the wall with it hip and nothing else.

3. Chat animation: Another thing that separated UT from the rest was that it looked so cool seeing your character put his hand next to his headset to show you were typing or the Nali floating in the air trying to communicate. To me these were the things that won me over the other games out there. Again this was not included in UT3 Maybe they didn’t have time to do it? Who knows, but there is really no where to tell if someone is typing or not.

4. Taunts: UT99 had some of the most original taunts like the cut throat, the pelvis thrust. Please bring these back.

Suggested animations:

Throw/pass weapon animation: it would be cool to have an animation for passing your weapon to your teammates. Especially for TDM game types.

Even though these are not game-breaker omissions, especially since the function itself was still always present. It shouldn’t take too much work to implement something as simple as these animations. After all they were part of what made previous UT’s a great game. To some this might be insignificant, but it was s these small details that made UT, for me, the best game of its generation.

If anyone can think of any other anymation please let us know.

Thank you ,

Originally posted by Jane's_Addiction- View Post
    3. Chat animation: Another thing that separated UT from the rest was that it looked so cool seeing your character put his hand next to his headset to show you were typing or the Nali floating in the air trying to communicate. To me these were the things that won me over the other games out there. Again this was not included in UT3 Maybe they didn’t have time to do it? Who knows, but there is really no where to tell if someone is typing or not.
    THIS! so much this!
    Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

sounds like a good point. yea sometimes the little things are the most important ones. even if it's just a frontflip animation. new stuff has to be done for sure, but some old "signature" stuff should be added, too.

Comment

what about idle animation ? just like original ut

Comment

I agree with all of these points!

Also, infinite taunt animations/sounds at the end of a map is a must-have...

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I agree with all the above. The roll and flip animations are particularly missed in UT3 where the movement felt slower and more labored than its predecessors. So I think reincorporating flashy movement animations into UT4 may help the game appear faster and more in line with the legacy of UT as a fast-paced twitch FPS while not significantly changing gameplay.

Comment

I think the first post covered pretty much everything.

It's definitely a must to have at least a chat animation though. It doesn't give away one's location like a chat icon, it is subtle, but it indicates that one is typing. I don't even know how often I chatfragged someone in UT3 (which is not cool. I'm a polite player and apologize for such stuff ).

I predict the competitive players will complain about roll animations as they distract and make headshots harder, which I absolutely understand (as an example - I agree it was easier to pick one's head off that way during a walldodge or alike in UT3 as the animation was more representative of the head's position than in those roll/flip animations in UT99 and UT2004), so eventually including an option to enable "UT3 style animations" or "competitive animations" which would disable such fancy stuff would be the way to go.

All these options... we all know it's unlikely to include a fully customizable visual design and gameplay, but really, it's the only alternative that comes to our minds, Epic! Please don't get demotivated by our ridiculously huge demands!
              Last edited by Sly.; 05-17-2014, 11:57 PM.
              S l y .

Comment

Being able to turn off animations for a competitive edge just takes the fun out of it really

Forward flip
                Flip when doing a wall dodge

This is all you need, try to tweak the animations with the hitboxes so that it doesn't make things like headshots impossible, otherwise people will abuse it, in other games the hitbox was constant so if you missed the 'head' but still hit the hitbox for the head during a mid air flip it's still a headshot

If a skilled player can't even do this, they have no right to complain

You could also make wall dodge flips only happen when you wall dodge perfectly, IE at the right height and angle for the longest wall dodge, anything else is just a kick off

Comment

Actually I think there should be a strategy to counteract headshots, every strategy should have a counter strategy, and preferably then counter strategy-counterstrategies! That's what makes good games into great games into excellent games. Constantly finding ways to outsmart your opponents, rather than just spam the most basic things any dumdum can do (camping snipers, anyone?)

So being able to use the front flip to avoid headshots isn't a bad idea, as long as it can be limited somehow.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                  Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Front flip only lasts a split second, and The most Popular UT (UT99) which is still being played today even in a competitive level has Front flip already in it. I don't see anyone complaining about, and these are probably the most hardcore based players in the community. So I really don't any problem with it.

Comment

Front flip only lasts a split second, and The most Popular UT (UT99) which is still being played today even in a competitive level has Front flip already in it. I don't see anyone complaining about, and these are probably the most hardcore based players in the community. So I really don't any problem with it.
                      I agree with everything Jane has to say pretty much. I really hope they dont kill this game like everything that came after ut99. Check out my thread here guys to show some support if youre a ut99 player https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...7392#post47392

Comment

Did UT3 even have animations? lol All i remember is people running and their clothes sometimes flapping around. I like the ut99 flip, and ut2004 had loads of great animations which should set an example for what to do in the next game. Different characters with different animation styles was nice too, eg female characters doing cartwheel flips when double jumping, different races having different animation styles. Driving animations for vehicles is good too. I support this thread.

EDIT: Also idle animations, like in ut99. Its cool to see a bot doing these occasionally when they're on a defence point in CTF for example.
                        UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                        Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                          Actually I think there should be a strategy to counteract headshots.
                          What exactly would that entail in your opinion? I think what would be good would be if a little Dane Cook popped up at the bottom of the screen and shouted "You are about to be shot in the head!" and then a window pops up and you have to win a round of Candy Crush to avoid taking full damage.

Comment

4. Taunts: UT99 had some of the most original taunts like the cut throat, the pelvis thrust. Please bring these back.
                            So much yes.

Pretty sure I've ended every match in 2004 with a pelvic thrust if I can be seen anywhere on the camera. About the funniest thing in the game to me is seeing myself (or someone else) standing in some far corner of the end match camera using that taunt.

Comment

if the player chat or speak with headset, should animate the mouth, because more lifelike in the game
                              the animate of the mouth with Text to sound/Animate the mouth should be possible.. purely technical/programming technical
                              and therewith be more "human in the Game" ..
                              best regards
                              Blacky

Comment

Working...
                              X