Animation Idea: Drop-Kick on drop-kills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animation Idea: Drop-Kick on drop-kills

Happens on Facing Worlds plenty of times. It would be nice to have an animation like this for when you kill someone by dropping onto them, quickly kicking them in the chest/back, slamming the enemy into the ground at incredible speed.

It doesn't even have to happen inside a mini-sequence (like how Doom does the glory kills). Just a nice, fluid kick animation. The slamming animation for the enemy shouldn't matter much, because he died anyways the moment you dropped on him. It's only important to have a nice particle effect for when the body hits the ground. + announcer.

Attached Files
    Last edited by InVader; 07-21-2016, 07:23 AM.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

Extremely short version :
    Meh...

Less short version :
    I'm Highly septical about this kind of animation.I'm worried it would ask for too much work for something that is finally not that noticeable or satisfying, if it doesn't mess with visual clarity at all during the game. And I'm not certain it even fit with Unreal, do you really see a Skaarj or a Juggernaut drop kicking like that ? One would just put his claws right into his enemies' orbits, and the other will just go full hulk smash (if he even cares).

An annoucer when killing like that would be funny however.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
      Extremely short version :
      Meh...

Less short version :
      I'm Highly septical about this kind of animation.I'm worried it would ask for too much work for something that is finally not that noticeable or satisfying, if it doesn't mess with visual clarity at all during the game. And I'm not certain it even fit with Unreal, do you really see a Skaarj or a Juggernaut drop kicking like that ? One would just put his claws right into his enemies' orbits, and the other will just go full hulk smash (if he even cares).

An annoucer when killing like that would be funny however.
      I agree, actually. But it would give the game a certain sense of polish, you know what I mean? It's about the little things. So later down the line... maybe... for the extra coolness-factor

Custom characters could come with custom animation sets - this is already officially planned (just look at the taunts inside the game, you'll see multiple versions of the same taunt)! A juggernaut could smash using both legs! A skaarj could grab the guy with his claws and throw him on the ground with a spin, although this would be a bit more tricky to do outside a glorykill-style mini-sequence.

Announcer sound: "SLAMMIN'!"

If it's not satisfying, it's done wrong :P
      Last edited by InVader; 07-21-2016, 04:08 PM.
      Check out my work!
      | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
        I agree, actually. But it would give the game a certain sense of polish, you know what I mean? It's about the little things. So later down the line... maybe... for the extra coolness-factor
        Yeah so it would be really far down the line so.... see you a few years later ?
        Custom characters could come with custom animation sets - this is already officially planned (just look at the taunts inside the game, you'll see multiple versions of the same taunt)! A juggernaut could smash using both legs! A skaarj could grab the guy with his claws and throw him on the ground with a spin, although this would be a bit more tricky to do outside a glorykill-style mini-sequence.
        But as you just said, it would be extremely hard and cost a good bunch of ressources to do it without a glorykill style. And I'm not fond of the glory thing in something that ask for quick reaction times. But doing it like it's something working depending on an interaction is diificult if not impossible for this kind of... attack. I mean, you see when just a character put his hands in first person when facing a wall for exemple ? Well you don't see it in a lot of games. Imagine now if you should do this kind of "context interaction" when killing in a certain manner...
        Announcer sound: "SLAMMIN'!"
        I haz better !

I think we should think a little more about it. And honestly avoid slang terms.
        If it's not satisfying, it's done wrong :P
        Like sex ?

Comment

This is what mods are for. We don't need melee in the core game it would alter UT gameplay to much. UC2 is proof nobody wants melee in UT.

Comment

Originally posted by nes710 View Post
            This is what mods are for. We don't need melee in the core game it would alter UT gameplay to much. UC2 is proof nobody wants melee in UT.
            Firstly, UC2 isn't any proof that nobody wants melee in UT. I personally really enjoyed the melee and the game in it's own right. Though I agree it shouldn't be in the core game of UT, that doesn't mean it would be the worst addition of all time, especially when looking today's game industry.

Secondly he isn't asking about adding a whole new mechanic, just makes one that is already present a little more attractive and awesome. Which isn't a bad idea in itself, just a little too complex to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by nes710 View Post
              It wouldn't be melee. This literally already exists in the game. You drop on someone from above and they take damage (maybe even die). This would just add a seamless kick animation, slamming the enemy into the ground, IF you kill the enemy by dropping on his head. It would not lock your cam, your movement or anything in a sequence, like the doom glory kills.
              Last edited by InVader; 07-22-2016, 10:52 AM.
              Check out my work!
              | Localization

Comment

I don't see why the bounce you get when you land on someone's head can't have a backwards flip kinda like the forward flip in ut99.
                :|

Comment

It's actually not such a bad idea Even if it's just a little added movement when you pancake someone, just to make it a bit more realistic. As long as it doesn't take off much damage, otherwise you will just get players running around drop kicking everyone instead of actually playing, like they already do with the impact hammer.
                  Win 10
                  iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                  3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                  32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                  DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                  2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Sounds like somebody's been playing Dying Light... I'd agree with having a Smashing Pancake finishing move introduced on this round of UT.
                    LoPing
                    Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Working...
                    X