Feign death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feign death?

Please tell me the ridiculous ragdolling feign death from UT3 (or something similar) will be included in the new UT. Sure it's almost useless because most players can tell feigned deaths from actual deaths (due to the flopping sounds of the model and the absence of a death message), but it's hilarious! And it can serve as an informal notice to everyone that you're AFK. It's completely optional. You wouldn't need to reserve a key for it. Whaddya say, pals?
    Black... light... guides you! Ghuleh! Ghuleh!
    Arena shooter zealot since 1995. Online player since 2008.

It should be in. Unreal had it, UT had it, UT3 had it - UT2004 didn't (and I missed it!).
    It's true that players who are afk for a short moment can feign death in UT3 to show they don't just idle because they got disconnected (I usually do that if I get a phone call together with a "brb" message), additionally you won't just get killed right away because it takes some time to notice the weapon - so it might as well be a corpse for an enemy at first glance, unless the bouncy behaviour is giving it away.
    That way one can at least jump back right into action.

Other than that it was a fun feature for various reasons (mostly bugs - managed to break the lift in my map during a private testing session by catapulting it somewhere into ridiculous heights outside of the geometry via feign death, no idea how exactly we did it) AND it saved your life many times, mostly when a Manta approached you trying to run you over, just feign death and it passes over your head and if done right, you got enough time to get up and start to shoot to keep it at distance. A neat tactics was also to do so when a Goliath was about to run you over and you noticed almost too late. As long as the chain doesn't hit you, you will stay alive!

Most people don't even know about its useful nature in vehicle gametypes.
    Last edited by Sly.; 05-20-2014, 11:28 PM.
    S l y .

Comment

I agree, Sly. Most UTs had feign death and, in addition to being hilarious, it does have its uses, despite being pretty ineffectual with regard to its intended purpose. And it makes for some goofy strategic ideas. I hope it's included.
      Black... light... guides you! Ghuleh! Ghuleh!
      Arena shooter zealot since 1995. Online player since 2008.

Comment

It wouldn't be a good idea to remove Feign Death - it's another individual thing for UT, it has uses in game, and it can be fun.

Comment

Silly but a lot of fun indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Ghuleh View Post
            I agree, Sly. Most UTs had feign death and, in addition to being hilarious, it does have its uses.
            A quick flag pass to a team mate with more health/armor for servers that didn't allow XLoc

Comment

Feign death is one of the best and most unique features of this game. Furthermore, in UT4 steps further could be taken to make it more trollish, if you get what I mean.

Weapons of mass destruction | Community UT mods

Comment

Loads of fun with it in the past. Should definitely be included.

Comment

It was often useful on CTF and assault for sneaking past defense. Keep it.
                  also known as Humphro

Comment

I would say drop it.
                    Messes up badly with regards to netcode and for some reason in UT3 they decided everyone should just fall over dead to balance it out.
                    I'd rather have insane ragdoll deaths of bodies flying everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Feralidragon View Post
                      Furthermore, in UT4 steps further could be taken to make it more trollish, if you get what I mean.
                      I support this. xD
                      Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                        It should be in. Unreal had it, UT had it, UT3 had it - UT2004 didn't (and I missed it!).
                        ^ 'nuff said
                        I remember my sister spending hours ragdolling in UT2k4 when she found some mod that does it. Now those screenshots were awesome.
                        It was useful in UT99 though, but not too necessary for gameplay. But why not? For the lulz sake

Comment

Feign death? Yes!
                          Duel rankings contributor | running Unreal Tournament @ ESL

Comment

As a fun mutator, maybe. But it caused so many issues and could be used for one or two movement tricks as a dive on some levels.

Comment

Very useful feature. Should be kept.
                              The new UT is coming along nicely...
                              Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Working...
                              X