No announcement yet.

Creating Animations for the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info, Vailas, thanks. Especially about the ART sub tip. I'd really like to check that out for sheer curiosity's sake. I actually really dislike rigging- it's one of my least enjoyable parts of 3d outside of UV mapping, but I'd like to see how the animation aspect of it works. In particular the whole "Space Switching" feature, and the example of one character driving another. Looks really awesome.

Pretty amazing Maya has never come up with anything like this on their own. I get most Maya users want to make their own rigs, but there are a huge set of jobs that could absolutely benefit from having something like the ART feature with the software out of the box.

Note to everyone: updated the original post with all the new provided info from you guys
    Last edited by R.E.D.; 10-23-2014, 06:20 PM.
    http://i.imgur.com/Ht4ckmL.jpg

Comment

Updated original post with the current process I've been told to use.

Comment

Hey Ben! It's absolutely not too late. we're still veeeeeery early in the process.

I see the dropbox link that had the UT4 rig is broken now.. I'll have to see if I can sort that out for you.

Comment

Since I've broken my hand, I'm stuck with nothing to do so also might give something a shot. Is there a list of animations that are needed or anything like that?

Comment

Thanks, Red.

I can't wait to start :-)

Comment

Okay guys! I've updated this to current I think. The links above are all my personal dropbox folder because Epic doesn't have a spot for them.

Let me know if you get stuck or have questions.

Also: broken hand? ouch! but wow, I need both my hands when I animate. You must be a wizard, Obliterator2.

Comment

Haha, well I effectively broke my wrist (bone in hand and bone in arm), long story short I had 2 plates put in 3 weeks ago and I'm able to use my hand for light stuff, just not driving or drumming so I'm really bored lol. And thanks, I'll probably give it a shot sometime soon, maybe practice on a few taunts or something, plus I've got an idea on something the game is currently missing

Comment

Thanks for updating this thread, Red!

First I had some problems installing the toolkit. I always got the warning 'Reference not found', like you mentioned above.

I formatted an external hard drive and gave it the static letter D. Then I put all of the files from the build there and that solved the problem.

When I open the toolkit I see three characters. When I import Malcom the character is being imported, but has been flipped 90°.
                  Is that normal? Can I just rotate the 'master_anim' root -
                  90°? Or will that result into problems?

When I import the the 'ut4_base' character, I get an error message.

When I execute the MEL-script on Malcom, it doesn't do anything and I get a lot of errors:

When I execute the MEL-script on the 'ut4_base', I also get some errors, but the character takes the pose.

Am I doing something wrong? :-) I'm using Maya 2014.

Thanks for the help!
                  Greets, Ben.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by _BAM_; 01-31-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Aha! Your errors made me remember a few more steps I left out. Sorry!

First:
                    the rotated skeleton is because you need to change your up axis in maya.
                    Go to Settings- Up Axis as Z

Then, the errors that you're getting are because you don't have the Physx plugin installed. I forgot about this. here is a link:
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v7rcaguzm...21132.msi?dl=0

This is apparently required because the dreads on Skaarj are using it. So even if you're not even animating him.. it will error at you. Pretty annoying!

Hopefully that should sort the issues. Let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
                      Software and tools:
                      1. You need Maya 2014. This is what they are using internally. I would suggest everyone use that. But 2015 and 2016 does also work.
                      2016 is supposed to give even better frame rate too. (So if you get 2016, share me some of that love will ya?)
                      Not to barge in here like some buffoon, but that right there is the reason almost nobody is doing animations here. With modeling we have plenty of FREE options. Blender is excellent even for sculpting. It can even directly export models for Unreal Engine. When it comes to texturing or animations/rigging, it's not really cutting it though.

$300+ for the Autodesk Software Suite for someone who is only just getting into animations and 3D modeling, is one hell of a commitment I'm not sure how the free version (maya lite) measures up, but if I recall correctly it has a lot of the animation tools cut from it.
                      Check out my work!
                      | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                      | Localization

Comment

Works perfectly now!

Thanks, Nate.

Comment

Strictly speaking you don't *have* to use Maya. Anything that exports to FBX animation should work fine.
                          However, if you don't use Maya you'll need to do your own rigging.

Comment

Originally posted by InVader View Post
                            Not to barge in here like some buffoon, but that right there is the reason almost nobody is doing animations here. With modeling we have plenty of FREE options. Blender is excellent even for sculpting. It can even directly export models for Unreal Engine. When it comes to texturing or animations/rigging, it's not really cutting it though.

$300+ for the Autodesk Software Suite for someone who is only just getting into animations and 3D modeling, is one hell of a commitment I'm not sure how the free version (maya lite) measures up, but if I recall correctly it has a lot of the animation tools cut from it.
                            This is a fair point. Autodesk's stuff is expensive, man.

Originally posted by _BAM_ View Post
                            Works perfectly now!

Thanks, Nate.
                            Great!

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
                            Strictly speaking you don't *have* to use Maya. Anything that exports to FBX animation should work fine.
                            However, if you don't use Maya you'll need to do your own rigging.
                            Right, the thing is.. at the moment it all uses their custom ART tool they made. And I have no idea how well- or how to, export it otherwise. It will take a much higher knowledge and understanding about UE4, but obviously thats possible.

Comment

wow dude nice job

Comment

@R.E.D is it possible for you to create a bio rifle alt fire charge animation, or do you only work with character models?

If you only work with character models or character skeletons, could you create some melee animations, like punching, and kicking? Thanks for responding if you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X