No announcement yet.

New Taunts Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was that ever a thing that a weapon was an actual part of a taunt? I think ive never seen that before, which is a good thing - once we have the actual (weapon)designs we might can do that with more weapons than the enforcer.
    Maybe you could make a "Derp" animation where the character tries to throw the weapon in the air like a cool badass but totally forgets to catch it again, or maybe he tries to catch but only manages to do so after several attempts(literally juggling the weapon)
    Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
    Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

Nope, it never was. One of the things I talked about the the guys at Epic were some ideas they wanted to explore, and they suggested weapon-specific taunts. They also suggested flag taunts too, which i'd like to give a shot at soon. I call these "Context sensitive" because it depends on what you'd be using at the time. Don't know how this would work, but I'm 100% down to explore em
      It would help extremely to have meshes for that, but I can make due with the proxy stuff I took a crack at. Also: I'd likely have to re-animate the weapons anyway because I'm not sure how they would transfer that to a new one.. but we'll find out!

Regarding derp taunts, lets call them.. "Taunt failures" for now. Thats a funny idea! I wonder if it would be too silly for this game.. Like almost cartoonish (team fortress 2 is great for that) but at the same time I could see people using it quite a lot. I could easily make a test just like these other ones and see what- when we get to the point of adding them in, people think.

Comment

Its totally up to you, tauntwise UT always has been on the silly side. The "Taunt failures" might be over the top but I dont know either.
        Ill let you know when something different crosses my mind, but I absolutely do like what you have done so far

Comment

I would like to sort of put myself out here for exploring ideas in the same way that map makers and prototypers are exploring their stuff. So I'm definitely down to give it a shot. I could even make a pretty quick variant off this spin where it flies out of his hand and hits him in the face or something. so the start up is identical, but mid way it changes. that could even just be a randomized things that shows up in the list if you keep doing the taunt. say for example a 10% chance of happening.

But yeah, taunts are generally pretty straight forward. I think we can all think of other ways to make them even better!

Comment

Great stuff Keep up the good work!
            | Designer | Copywriter | Writer | Editor | Soundtrack lover | Known as 7eVeN^ since UT'99!
            Follow me at Twitter @Mcjansen

Comment

Originally posted by R.E.D. View Post
              And done. Enforcer spin. Dedicated to Vailias <3:
              Woot!
              Keep pushing and experimenting. From what I've seen of the animation system I bet we can easily make a context sensitive taunt or randomized set of taunts even.

Comment

This one is for the guys at Epic. Who specifically asked for a flag taunt

I wooooooonder what this was inspired from?

Note: I have no idea how the flag would actually be animated per the constraints and such. But this is more or less my "if it was to work perfectly, it might look like this" example.

Comment

I wooooooonder what this was inspired from?
                  Hah! That image was my desktop background for the best part of a decade.

This would be sweet as hell to see performed by the winning, final flag capper.
                  also known as Humphro

Comment

That flag taunt would be, well....Epic!
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been quiet since Halloween due to festivities and also other projects, but I fully intend to keep churning things away.

As a critical look on the flag I feel like there is something about it that feels too forced. Like maybe the head needs to look down sooner so it doesn't feel so pose-to-pose. Or maybe something about the stepping up feels a little too robotic to me. I'm not sure. That pose is tricky because the actual art is a guy on top of a sloped mountain, which makes sense. But standing on a flat surface doesn't give anyone much reason to pose this way other than a throwback to that old art. I really wanted to do it though, as a bonus to UT vets so it gets the reactions like I have from you guys.

Either way, with this and the other ones (aside from the dance) they're pretty good first entries that can easily be modified.

Comment

I think it looks strange since you start with the flag in hand, could you try a version where he takes the flag from his back and then gets into his final position. The initial position of the character rather looks like hes going to do some robot moves.^^

Comment

The flag pose! Why isnt this already in the game?

Comment

Been a while since I got back to this! I've had a few other projects eating all my time, but I definitely haven't stopped for good. Fortunately, there isn't a huge demand for this right now, so I'm not holding anything up.

Anyway:
                            Nonemm- Sorry I never replied to this. I could definitely do that, but it isn't worth another video for, especially since none of these are the final model or final poses. I always thought the characters have a flag out at the end of the matches, but if not, we can definitely do the disappearing trick.

I made a new one tonight, not 100% finished, but I'm not really intending to make perfect animations until we get a character/rig/and actual direction. So please ignore some of the jerkiness on the feet or lack of finger animations, etc.

With this one, they could do nearly anything after the flag is planted. I went with salute, but it could be a dance, cheer, etc.

Comment

Alright, tonight I decided to do a simplified version of that dance. A basic loop. This is more akin to game stuff, as it's only 60 frames long, but the longer spinning dances could be explored if anyone is interested.
                              You ever play TF2? some taunts are endless so if you say made the spongebob dance spin but you were able to cancel it by clicking or pressing W that may help

Comment

Originally posted by PlutonianG View Post
                                You ever play TF2? some taunts are endless so if you say made the spongebob dance spin but you were able to cancel it by clicking or pressing W that may help
                                I know what you mean here, a looping taunt, right? I figured that would be an option, which is why I tried creating one to later play with. But I think all taunts should always bee 100% cancel-able. UT has always had it that way, and we definitely don't want to make it so you're locked into them when you use it

Comment

Working...
                                X