Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Corrupt Cybernetic

Xan Portrait

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Something I did in my spare time, a male and female idea example of The Corrupt. I was curious if carbon nanotube artificial muscle over those hinge joints and covering the internal abdomen machinery would increase it's cybernetic type robot aesthetic overall. The result is rather interesting.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by OMNIETY OMEGA; 10-02-2015, 09:42 AM.
    Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Very cool sketches.
    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Whoa, is that Xan on the left? I think it's the best one I've seen so far, also because it's not overly bulky and seems to fit with the current art direction because of that.

Love the little details everywhere, really cool stuff.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Yeah, that would be Xan and Cathode.

There's a lot of modular potential.

A few ideas such as Xan tank mode, so you'd design armor plates, magnetically attached singular or multiple pieces, that would further augment the main body. That way you can choose in the cosmetic items section whether you want him tankier or more agile. A tankier version would include a larger rounded collar sheath, those side armor plates on the lower legs like in UT2004, and so forth. Then you also have the actuators (the areas between the joints and abdomen), where you can choose between the older piston/hydraulic/electric rotary actuators that we've seen from all the past Corrupt incarnations, or you can choose the newer state of the art carbon nanotube actuators.

On top of that, there's potential for reskinning certain armor plates with carbon fibre accents, such as a carbon fibre spoiler for Xan.
        Character Sketch

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I must say, the artwork is superb as long as your presentation
          Stevie's corner
          My UT4 maps
          Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

I agree this is a great work and a very nice way to present your concept.

I really like your Xan because he's very recognizable, looks modern, not too bulky, and still has the "cyborg or human in armor" ambiguity. I wouldn't change anything !

Cathode however is less recognizable (actually i thought it was Enigma, the one who looks like Metropolis' Maria) and the problem is her face/head.

As a reference, in UT2004 Cathode looked like that :

Still I like the female body you created, it's not overly feminine like UT2004 robots (which isn't really needed) and I believe you would just have to rework the head to make it much better, right now I feel it's too bland and not recgnizable enough.

I'm sure you can make it better because the rest of your work is really nice
            Attached Files

Comment

I really like the Xan one too!
              Win 10
              iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
              3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
              32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
              DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
              2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Thanks for the comments!

Originally posted by Chaos.Engine View Post
                Cathode however is less recognizable (actually i thought it was Enigma, the one who looks like Metropolis' Maria) and the problem is her face/head.
                I agree, when I was painting her head I didn't actually pick a particular Corrupt member, that is probably the main reason. It takes a few cues from various female Corrupt members from all the Unreal games, I guess she could be a new character. I don't know what her name would be though.
                Character Sketch

Comment

Hey man, these look really good! I can tell you put a lot of effort into the detailing.

The positives, IMO, would be that these are very finished looking, down to the smallest details, and a modeler would have little problem replicating this in 3D.

What I think they lack is individual character. An attitude. Some sort of personality. I know these are robots, but they can still exude some sort of personality. Ultron, from the Avengers movies, is a robot but he still manages to look arrogant (which I always perceived Xan as being) and menacing.

One of things that attracts me to certain character concepts is the 'character' in them. Sounds like a no-brainer but personality is difficult to portray well (Dishonored does this really well, IMO). This is something that I like about a lot of Gooba's characters.

I would also try to break up their silhouette some. Add some chunkiness somewhere. The shoulders? The boots? Not sure where. They need some weight or something.

Also, I don't think concept guys should be afraid of changing the look of the iconic characters a bit. Does Xan have to have the bucket handle on his head and the visor eyes to be Xan? I don't know. I know this is a touchy subject for some. Even internally we're pretty divided on the subject. But I think we should use the old character designs as reference while not being boxed in or chained to them.

Anyway, hope that's not too much feedback. Really nice work so far, man. Keep 'em coming.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Xan made just gorgeous. But the robot girl ... Try to give a face a greater humanity, or can do so as shown in the second art:

And i think that you need to contact with Shraznar
                    and his vision of Xan: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...racter-design)
                    Your work is very similar.
                    P.S. Arts from Artstation.com
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Raixs; 08-12-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
                      Also, I don't think concept guys should be afraid of changing the look of the iconic characters a bit. Does Xan have to have the bucket handle on his head and the visor eyes to be Xan? I don't know. I know this is a touchy subject for some. Even internally we're pretty divided on the subject. But I think we should use the old character designs as reference while not being boxed in or chained to them.
                      I don't particularly disagree with you on that, but the design we have here is already pretty different from Xan's previous designs in the previous games he's been in. It's not like it's an exact replica of Xan Mark II.

Also, it's good to have some familiar aspects of the design like the "bucket handle" or visor eyes. Otherwise, it may as well be a totally different character in the current state it's in minus the handle and visor.
                      Last edited by Skerion; 08-18-2015, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Here ya go, quick paint over!
                        Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far, I like reading critiques no matter how harsh.

That's some really saturated colour there. The pink/magenta does stand out a lot though. Her name should probably be Paradigm.
                          Character Sketch

Comment

Just a little update. What do you think?

Normal:

Darker:
                            Character Sketch

Comment

Holy sh** i love it Looks really sinister and "earthling, you want to mess with me?". Make this happen *hype!!!*!

Comment

Working...
                              X