Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Model] Gorge (w/basic low poly prisoner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post

Taking a step back to look at overall proportions, I'm not sure if the scaling is correct for these characters since they are all skinned to rigs and that determines their size rather than the base mesh so I was modelling on top of the skeleton but I may scale the character up since 3dsmax has issues if the scale is too small (which the rig is when exported).
    You should set your units in 3ds max to centimeters. Both for scene and for system. It will preserve the proper scaling with FBX import and export that way, and is quite large enough to not cause any export issues.
    Characters are, I believe, 186CM tall. Use the current ones as reference. You're going to want to keep the head height the same for gameplay reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Vailias View Post
      You should set your units in 3ds max to centimeters. Both for scene and for system. It will preserve the proper scaling with FBX import and export that way, and is quite large enough to not cause any export issues.
      The issue is that as soon as I remove the skin modifier off the Epic meshes they scale to other sizes not the same as the rig so I ended up modelling roughly the same size as the rig. I could adjust the units but I dont think it would correctly match them so Id still end up with a massive scaled character and a wrong sized right. I guess its fine because I plan to reuse Epics rigs so my mesh should just scale correctly regardless as long as I model to the same rig and proportions.

Just makes it abit difficult and why I thought to setup a basic low poly people could reuse but Im going to have to look into what scaling I'll use, I dont want to mess people about as we should all be on the same page but both Epics meshes are completely different sizes without the skin modifier.

Anyways Ive been working trying to update things, I got some ideas to try on the exoskeleton so I might just share here to get some feedback

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

The face on Gooba's concept looks like "John Pope", from the Falling Skies tv series. You could use that for reference.

Comment

Does he have to be wearing a tank top...?
          http://i.imgur.com/FWZtJIO.jpg

I imagine Gorge wearing massive hulking power armour. Not a tank top.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorax View Post
            Does he have to be wearing a tank top...?
            http://i.imgur.com/FWZtJIO.jpg

I imagine Gorge wearing massive hulking power armour. Not a tank top.
            The issue is that the armour makes the models silhouette alot bigger than that of other characters and then people are less inclined to use it, just with the exo-skeleton he's going to be much larger than the standard UT4 people without any cosmetics. As I have mentioned in the past I would prefer that the class based features from UC2 or the species mutator be there so I could make him appropriately sized and the silhouette of a heavy class character is less of an issue because of their tanking ability but when all characters have the same stats it becomes a huge impediment.

Im trying my best to keep the tone of the original Gorge and I think Gooba did well to keep the shoulders without making them the massive ones they were in UT2003, I think plainly put we wont be seeing an update on the original because it was pretty poor. I think it makes more sense that Gorge is fit, prisoners tend to work out in the exercise yard as a way to pass the time, for a geneboosted human it just doesnt make alot of sense for him to have heaps of weight in the mid section. I always thought the original exo looked more like a way to lock Gorge down than to boost his strength so thats perhaps one angle I could look at adjusting.

I would love to see a whole cast of larger power armour wearing characters from Skaarj to Necris to Juggernauts but I really it doesnt fit within the tone of the game and Im actually far more concerned with just getting people to actually use the model. Look at how amazing the First Person weapon models are yet so many people play with them hidden, its going to be the same if an option like Force Model ever exists so I would much rather make something people dont want to hide than something thats cool and fits more genuinely to what we imagine Gorge to be. One suggestion was to make Gorge alot smaller so the armour wasnt as large, that could work but then he would be a little person because a heavy set of armour makes that much difference.

Take Aberius concept, the head is far away from the shoulder muscle and it looks really wrong like his shoulders are twice as broad as humanly possible thats not including the plate armour coming off the side. It just causes alot of issue and one of them being characters no matter their size start looking like GoW size. Its a really difficult trade off so while I appreciate the input, if you have pictures I could try to incorporate them into the design but I really dont want to be making custom rigs... Its a new Tournament this year, Gorge will be wearing power armour but its less 80s scifi and more modern era where materials science has come a long way. Im actually being rather generous compared to the 3mm armour the default characters wear, Im really trying my best but I have resigned myself to the fact I wont please everyone.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
            Last edited by MonsOlympus; 08-25-2015, 07:36 AM.
            Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

That all makes a lot of sense obviously. However I still think he could do with his torso being covered. I'm not saying he should have massive bulky armour. I don't think UT4 should or is going that way. Which is cool.

I think he should be fit looking sure, his arms convey that enough if you ask me.

I like the look of the old Gorge, but I also like the look of this new one. I just think the cropped tank top look is a tad silly.
              Last edited by Thorax; 08-26-2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I finally realised who Gooba's concept reminds me of, Sabaton's lead vocalist Joakim Brodén:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                    I always thought the original exo looked more like a way to lock Gorge down than to boost his strength so thats perhaps one angle I could look at adjusting.
                    I had that idea floating around my head too some time ago. Basically the geneboosting made the subject way stronger than possible with just stims and 'roids. Geneboosting increases muscle size and density as well as motor neuron function and bone density. This process gives the prisoner the outward appearance of an average linebacker, but the strength of a silverback gorilla. This makes those sentenced to lifelong incarceration in a penal colony without the possibility of parole more suitable for hard labour. The drawback to this process is that it increases aggression and in some cases causes violent psychotic episodes. Geneboosted individuals need to wear exoskeletons that function as mechanised straightjackets when displaying explosively violent behaviour outside of acceptable parameters. The worst cases, who are deemed unfit for working in the mines are set loose in the Tournament instead.

Comment

Bit younger looking, still low poly but I worked on the arm some.

Comment

Good work on the base poly, coming along great.
                        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Originally posted by YemYam View Post
                          Good work on the base poly, coming along great.
                          Thanks, Ive been alittle busy working on some code stuff (which probably wont get released till 4.9 to keep it all tidy). With the model Im wanting to have him posed I think so Im throwing around doing either A. Ball Launcher (BR) or B. Axon Revolver and Shotgun, for that one there is a concept I liked from the enforcer that didnt get used, its alttle more boxy which I think works to Axons more industrial side. Who knows, Im just really happy he looks even mildly like the original character this early on. I'll certainly do some more on this, maybe with some rough weapon models

Comment

Here is a quick concept of the Shotgun I threw together from pictures on the internet. This is what I had in mind, what I might even do is bring Gorge more inline with the styling of the weapon. When I think of Axon I tend to think of the vehicle sets:

Attached Files

Comment

Now that Im reasonably happy where the Exoskeleton is I went back to the basic Prisoner to fix up some of the bad topology I left behind on the head, hands and feet as well as adding the orange top for what will become coveralls. I was considering doing a rolled down pair with a tank top because the exoskeleton could rip through but the heavier coveralls end up being a similar thickness to the armour leaving one to go ontop.

Not that many polygons even turbosmoothed, the body and arms underneath the shirt are still there adding to the count also. Im not sure if I'll be able to swap out the entire torso like that with the socket system Epic have so having custom clothing might be alittle limited. I know the head and neck need the most work so far since I started with the low poly base I had for UC2004 but it has helped get the basic head shape right quickly so you can see all kinds of mess around the edge of the lips and lack of adams apple and collar bones which I'll be working to fix up for the topless version.

Im thinking of putting visibility strips on the coveralls but they need to be dirtier but this is heading in the right direction, the welding goggles cosmetic is something Im going to be toying with because it could be good for all the characters as sunglasses

Edit:
                              A few other things I should mention is that the nose and ears arnt attached because it helps me get the right adjustments to those parts without having to worry about the topology between the face and those parts. Its great to have a model all finished but I find to build off the rough cut you can go alot further in other directions, like in the case someone has attached lobes vs not, peoples nostrils curve differently and it just joins on the face alittle different which affects the overall topology somewhat.

I think when I release an FBX it'll have the unattached nose and ears, detachable facial hair could be useful as a generic model to get more from. Im not entirely happy with these boots, there needs to be either A. smaller leather style boots or B. larger more Mario Brothers movie style boots I guess. Im certainly going to rough up the Shotgun to go with, got plenty of ideas going there.
                              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 09-17-2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I really dont like regulating every character to the same rig, like you said it feels like there's no range of character and it starts just feeling like reskins. I understand why they're doing it for the sake of time I just think it's stifling character design and I would rather see characters with a wide range like you said with big classes and small classes. Regarding force model, I think it's possible to just make it a clientsided mutator so everyone else can still use what they want.

Modeling looks good so far, and I get the logic of makin George fit with a prisoner getup. But I thought Epic strictly said that they're not looking to the community for the UT characters? It came straight out of Perna's mouth with the character reveals that the UTcharacter design is more "holy" and the community doesn't get to have much input.

I definitely like Axon's shape language you have referenced but I don't really think UT4's Axon follows the same gritty boxy look, if you look at the Enforcer (axon made) it looks closer to something outa Halo's human engineered designs. Are you intending to make a new gun with that shotgun? I'm a big fan of Unreal4Ever and I'd really like to see what youd come up with to separate it from the Flak if you intended to go for a "serious" attempt to adding it to the roster.
                                Last edited by FirebornForm; 09-22-2015, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X