Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Model] Gorge (w/basic low poly prisoner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
    But I thought Epic strictly said that they're not looking to the community for the UT characters?
    Read this: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...aracter-design
    And this: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...mmunity-Thread!
    That's why suddenly a "Gold-Rush" feeling spread through the character section.
    The Devs getting more involved into this part of the forum as well.

And I like it.
    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
      I definitely like Axon's shape language you have referenced but I don't really think UT4's Axon follows the same gritty boxy look, if you look at the Enforcer (axon made) it looks closer to something outa Halo's human engineered designs. Are you intending to make a new gun with that shotgun? I'm a big fan of Unreal4Ever and I'd really like to see what youd come up with to separate it from the Flak if you intended to go for a "serious" attempt to adding it to the roster.
      Well thats the thing with adding guns to the roster, there is only 9 slots anyway so it has to be an alternative to other weapons not an addition. If you look at the way levels are designed if you replace a sniper weapon with a non-sniper weapon for instance you can get unintended results so replacing one sniper weapon with another (sniper w/lightning) then you get closer to the intended result. There is also the fact weapon are displayed client side with weapon stay off, so I can make this a shotgun or a flak cannon depending on which character you play

I am interested in this comment by Perna, if you can link where he said it, I havent seen the last week or so of streams and Im going by what Entropy was saying before about needing community characters to really build things out in that department to get variety. I think Chris might have been commenting about people working from Epics official concepts, this is a Gooba concept he asked for ideas and I handed him Epics character Gorge. Im certainly not looking to sell Epics IP if thats what might be implied here, I just want to make something cool to share with everyone for free.

Im just making things UT themed, Im not looking for any of this to become core, I am trying to stick to being canon so you bring up a great point (one that I had considered) about the new Axon design vs the older one. I think it could be explained with Age though, if UT4 is set after UT3, it could mean that the enforcer is newer tech. I know what Epic did with the Enforcer, they went back to the original UT roots with the green and the logos on the flags and if you remember in 2k4 the different vehicle skins were more noticeable but in both 2k4 and UT3 when having 2 axon teams you get a green tint and the brown tint.

I did think that the exo could be Allerian, or something to do with the prison and Gorge has some how tweaked it up so that explains why his exo-suit doesnt 'have' to look Axon style. I do think the prison uniform should hint at the fact Axon have something to do with the operation. In 2k4 Axon the character wasnt entirely boxy, somewhat but the rusted junk theme was pretty clear, that Xan ended up on a scrap heap. What happened to Gorge after UT2k4? There must be a reason he wasnt anywhere in UT3 so theres plenty of room to explore, my main concern with the design is that it might be alittle bit too fresh out of the joint to fit with the timeline, unless he ended up back in Alleria.

A note on the lack of updates its because Epic announced the MegaJam and Im trying to make it to GCAP so I have a super busy month ahead. I have some really cool stuff on the way though guys, if you would like to help me on the project, have any ideas or anything please feel free to PM me.
      Last edited by MonsOlympus; 10-02-2015, 03:38 AM.
      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Hey there. Im wondering if your planning on armoring Gorge up at all, i know the concept is just wearing a pair of jeans, but the juggernauts we all know were all very heavily armored. Dont get me wrong i love overall look of the character with the exosuit. I just feel he's a little naked considering hes about to go into battle with rocket launchers and plasma rifles. Not to mention he has to set the style for he rest of the team as well. I drew this based off Goobas concept, adding a little more armor. Honestly though i think Aberiu has the classic jugg look down perfectly with a new sleek style, but its a little too generic space marine for Gorge. If you could merge the two somehow without it looking out of place it would be perfect. Just my two cents. Excellent job so far though. This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
        My Contributions - misc concept art.
        Taye Skins - Skin Downloads

Comment

Thanks for the sketch, Ive been meaning to get around to working on this but you know how it goes, pursuit of the dollar and all that. I really appreciate the sketch and will look it over and see what I can incorporate in my next stretch, I might even see about roughening him up like the head in your sketch. I think thats where Im going to go with this, I dont think it should be too clean as we are talking about a criminal not someone like Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark who can afford nice slick armour so it should be bits and piecey with hints of homemade on there.

I know not everyone is a fan of having less armor but the other characters dont wear much armour either, infact you could put a flesh texture ontop of what looks like armour atm and you largely wouldnt be able to tell because of how thin it is. I just really want to avoid him turning into a line backer (Gears) or a fatty (2k4)
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

This one is cool! I like it.

-Luigi Rapetta
            (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
            Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Okay bit of an update, Ive just been working slowly fixing things up, testing different combinations of parts. Ive fixed his neck area which was pretty bad, his nose is better but there are alot of pieces still not attached because Im in the process of working on the larger forms still, once Im more happy with it I will move to detailing and I have some better ideas of what Im going to do.

The coveralls are actually alot more difficult than I expected because they are plain Im going to have to do something to give them variation, I need to add pockets, decals etc so there is alot still missing if you can try to visualise that when you look at this concept. I went with short sleeve and I think thats how I'll be heading for the time being because it allows some detail in the lower arms to show through like veins and tendons which will help on that inner part of the arm where the wont be any exo parts.

Ive added new boots, I just wanted to try the more chunky style boots from JFFs concept and Im trying to incorporate parts of Aberius concept Im just not having alot of luck, I think once the metal is painted it might look abit better but I tried to merge the two to create the boots whilst still taking into account Kingaz concept. I dont want anyone to feel their input has been left out and this character in particular seems to be a touchy subject with fans so Im still trying to strike that good mix of Jugg and Dude.

I think next Im going to revist the chest since I was reasonably happy with where I ended up on the back, I know it certainly needs more details and really want to get in there and do them but I know as soon as I start chamfering its difficult to undo and get back to where it was before if I need to. I need to work out how the exo works in relation to the coveralls as well, Im thinking some parts can be torn through like on the back but on the legs the exo can go over the top of the coveralls and cause creases where its pressed against his thigh. That said I would still like to have a topless version more like Goobas concept and I really dont think I'll end up as heavily armoured as Aberius but we'll see where the robot characters go and how far I can push it silhouette-wise

Feedback is entirely welcome, if you want to paint/draw over that would be cool and I might even get some paint over going myself to show you guys alittle better of what I have in my mind as modelling will slow down when I get to doing fiddly bits. Im already seeing some pretty glaring issues in regards to animation so I'll have to fix those
              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 12-22-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

keep it coming

Comment

I actually don't like the goggles on him: they make him less threatening and more "mole man", with all due respect. I'd like to see something similar to the three concepts above. It's my opinion, though...

-Luigi Rapetta
                  (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
                  Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

gorge is my favorite character, but this concept doesn't remind me of him at all. If you can make him more like in UC and not look at goobas artwork, that would be awesome.

http://orig02.deviantart.net/2338/f/...64-d7jerq1.png
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
                      I actually don't like the goggles on him: they make him less threatening and more "mole man", with all due respect. I'd like to see something similar to the three concepts above. It's my opinion, though...
                      Thats cool I was actually thinking that if I gave him an Elton John haircut he'd look like Doc Oc, he's just got this scientist thing going on atm so I dont disagree at all. There is alittle secret, Im not always happy with my own work, Im pretty critical so its nice to know Im not the only one who saw that Im thinking making him younger might make him seem more menacing, Gorge just always caught me more as a young hot shot.

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                      gorge is my favorite character, but this concept doesn't remind me of him at all. If you can make him more like in UC and not look at goobas artwork, that would be awesome.
                      Well I dont see alot of returning characters so far, there is Loque I suppose so its hard to gauge. My main concern is that the original concept in UC wasnt very well liked because it strayed from the silhouette of the UT and other characters too much, the animations were also custom where Im going to have to use the same set that other males are using. I do actually want this character model to be used, Id love to go nuts and make a character thats visually appealing but its not just about that, personality will matter too so if I can capture that grim facial expression and the bloodshot in the eyes I think I would have done the original concept some justice (I did actually already discuss this quite indepth further up in the thread)

Thanks for the comments guys, as I said feel free, Im really not that protective of the model at this stage of development so its still highly flexible.

Comment

I honestly really like goobas half armor exposed midsection thing. He looks tough. I was really young when I played 2k4, but I always thought the jugs just looked fat haha. This new fit prisoner look is tough as nails I think it fits really well. Might as well make him look like a bit of a tweaker too haha.

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Just working on making his head abit cleaner, attached his nose, fixed up his eyes and removed the goggles. Just generally making things nicer with the polyflow and jawline

I think I'll keep the goggles going for an cosmetic attachment people can use. The issues with topless vs shirt are still tricky, the armour doesnt actually fit very well over the clothes so I might just do topless for the time being since Im not happy with the collar shirt on the prison coveralls, Ive been playing with a more traditional Gorge style color on those and will try perhaps a V neck collar. I certainly want to try some tattoo's so Id expect an extra skin to have those as well as options for piercings, a bigger more punk mohawk and graffiti on the exo.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

I think all in all Im actually trying to blend 3 of the major UT game factions into this one, the Raw Steel, Axon Juggernauts and the Hellions. I figure the variants should please a fan of any one of these 3 factions but Im focusing on the Juggernaut aspect as the armour is going to be very difficult to get right
                          Last edited by MonsOlympus; 01-02-2016, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                            Thanks, Im trying to share as much as I can without posting up every poly I put on the character

Taking a step back to look at overall proportions, Im not sure if the scaling is correct for these characters since they are all skinned to rigs and that determines their size rather than the base mesh so I was modelling ontop of the skeleton but I may scale the character up since 3dsmax has issues if the scale is too small (which the rig is when exported). I think overall the UT2003 and UT4 characters are similar so Im going to make my guy abit smaller to match those, the UC2 character was largely a guess based on the difference between the medium and heavy characters.
                            Nice someone is reviving the most played and loved 2k4 character. Don't know if you are going with the right direction tho. If you make the second one on this picture, people will pay you in gold, me included...

Comment

The scale has to match the skeleton mesh in the game as you have imported the Necris and Tae characters (necris_male_ut4_SKELMESH.FBX) and you should match their height and proportions exactly.

Are your units set to centimeters in max? That is critical or the mesh will import at wrong dimensions. If you need me to send you a scale file let me know.

As far as the old character meshes the scale is different across the games for many reasons - difference in engine version, rigs, unit setups, world sizes, etc.
                              Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
                              Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
                              Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Im using the exported skeleton/meshes from UT thats what those two characters scaled there are, it actually affects modelling slightly because the units are odd (used to working in mm). I did notice one of the characters was huge before it was skinned to the skeleton which probably made the modelling portion easier. Anyways yes the model is the same proportions you probably cant see that because that particular old image was from me conceptually showing the difference in the scaling, if I show you the plane man model overlapped over the Necris he's actually pretty bang on, he's just abit fitter as in Goobas concept.

Last edited by MonsOlympus; 01-07-2016, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X