Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Model] Gorge (w/basic low poly prisoner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Okay so abit of an update, I havent been able to sit at the PC for awhile because of a pinched nerve in my neck so I havent made much progress on this unfortunately, I have to put my health first and I honestly dont play this UT much anyway so Im not in a huge rush to get this done. I will be updating as soon as I can though so dont fear, this will get done

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have no idea, Gorge got killed by Skaarj? So he never met Xan in the Junkyard lol

I consider this armour to be the top tier Axonwares, Gorge is a prisoner so I dont see them wasting too much money on him where Thundercrash, I could see them having money even in the early days like Iron Guard.

#plebwaresale

I think what I have is still too clean, I need to go in there with a dirtmap and add the veins which I'll probably do in mudbox

Leave a comment:

• replied

Xan angered Gorge right ?

Strangely I find Xan's body kind of fitting. It need some adjustments of course, but I like seeing Gorge with something that seems like a big armor. And the pipes are rather nice on it. And with the exoskeleton it really feels like a futuristic suit.
    The face however... Ho gosh please get rid of it !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
    WHAT'S GOIN ON WITH THAT PROJECT?
    u dnt shov anitingh 4 montz c:
    I was busy with Phobos3 but now Im going to finish up Gorge and the weapon do a render on the map. I aim to have that done by the end of the year I am only one guy dabbling too.

[MENTION=14867]Darkloser[/MENTION], hows this armour?

Spoiler
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-30-2016, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Boomstick

WHAT'S GOIN ON WITH THAT PROJECT?
    u dnt shov anitingh 4 montz c:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    By no means will my model represent any definitive version of Gorge, Im not sure I could ever make that a single model, thats what I mean. There will never be one model that everyone agrees on, especially now with so many perspectives on the character and no lore to guide it to the right conclusion. Im just going to put some effort into it and see where it goes, at some point Im going to be happy to do my final render on Phobos with the Boomstick and call it done. Maybe I'll make it a postcard addressed to Brock

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, the Raw Steel looks more like a gang with a peculiar mindset akin to gladiatorial combats (Spartacus ?) where the Juggernaut project is somehting developped by a corporation seeking profit, and so should present with the most efficient product.

Yeah I thought that UT3 explanation of some things were kind of dumb and unecessary.

As for customization, I don't state too much on this side as it seems way to early to say anything. I mean, it's still a sort of prototype, and I honestly have no idea what is the end goal for Epic about it. Right now it's head and full body, but who knows if you won't have arms, legs, etc, or a TF2 approach or whatever. So until things are cleared out I'll stay on the "only one model" formula (like in all UT before the 3rd).

And personally, I don't care much about cosmetic option. I would be more than happy if characters were only one model as long as they're well made.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes but to reiterate, nothing is canon but the UT intro which doesnt even show teleporting similar to the UT2003 intro and it doesnt explain any sort of "repsawn" technology, Epic tried to in UT3 with FLaGs but the description didnt really work with the gameplay, not that it was a bad description just a lame acronym.

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
    You won't send a new generation of soldier barely naked if you can improve their performance further with a complete set right ?
    https://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Raw_Steel

This is Unreal Tournament, I figure there is alot possible and I dont disagree with you but I do think having a Gorge that is Medium->Heavy through customisation is a better goal then trying to dictate to people who Gorge should be. User stories are a really important part of marketing and if people are saying good things or sharing stories about their interpretation of the product it can really fill it out in ways that just simply looking at a picture or watching a video clip can. People will get a vibe for what they will feel and hopefully people will connect with different characters for different reasons, right now they are kinda shallow and I think thats why we both feel as though the bots are just mindless shells instead of "oh thats Gorge, watch out for his aggression".

As you can see from my concepts I kinda have Gorge everywhere from breaking out (being let out) of prison to his fuller Axon set, this is because I see the character as a progression not a simple static portrait, I always add that 4th dimension and consider the gameplay implications of everything. For me I wanted to be Gorge, follow him through to the Tournament and perhaps find out how the Juggernauts come together.

In UC2 they explain some of the stuff with the Necris and I want to see that too, so Loque feels like something bigger but he was never my favourite character and out of all of them, I played as Barktooth, Syzygy, Gorge and Axon. In UT3 I was the Corrupt, one of the configurations and they were always up there for my favourites so all other characters to me are second class citizens but I still appreciated others like Brock, Anubis and Sapphire.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Well the reasoning goes that people dont die in UT anyway, there has been only 1, Brock and thats because he tried to ambush Gorge over the whole Malcolms broken spine deal but thats really the only time I know of that explains the dangers of the tournament. The impression the game gives is that people never actually die or get injured, obviously UT2004 expanded on that with the injured bots but none of that is canon anymore and the Necris wear about 3mm of armour which for a rocket explosion or a flak shell is about as good as a bare belly, maybe even worse since Gorge is buffed naturally.
    Wooooooooo slow down there. Brock died OUTSIDE of the tournaments, so he wasn't in the "respawn" device that the arenas are fitted with. And even if UC2 timeline isn't considered canon, You actually see during UT3 opening cinematic soldiers (both Izanagi and Krall) die. Even civilians are attacked. So yes, inside the Tournament they're immortal (except maybe if the device fail), yet they're not invicible (Malcom's broken spine), and aren't protected outside of the Tournament.
    And knowing Gorge temperament, I won't be surprised if he strongly "insisted" to keep his armor so he can smash some faces. Not that he necessarly needs it, but it's funnier. And if Axon is really developping the Juggernaut project as a new military force I think they would put an integral suit of armor so they are even more durable and ruthless.
    You won't send a new generation of soldier barely naked if you can improve their performance further with a complete set right ?

The Tournament, even if a naked guy is as protected as a Titanium covered soldier, is still a place to show the capacity of your last inovations. It's especially showed with the Nightmare team, and Devastation. It's like Football for us, pushed a little further.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Really great work [MENTION=34994]papercoffee[/MENTION] I like what youve done there with the pistons on the front that certainly gives them abit more room so I'll have a play with incorporating that into what I had in mind for the front. I do like what youve done with the shoulders and neck armour, I do like the chest plate but I think that might be abit more Iron Guard. I'll have a think on that since I wasnt going to work on much of the larger armour just yet so if you want to experiment some more feel free. Im digging that busted nose look, thanks heaps

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
    This direction seems interesting, can you developp it further ? I would like to see more. Also I definitely believes Gorge should be covered at 90% of armor, like only the head and maybe hands should be visible. Showing your tummy in a place of constant fighting isn't a smart idea. Well, Gorge isn't especially smart, but as I said earlier, he's cunning and know instinctively what would kill us.
    Well the reasoning goes that people dont die in UT anyway, there has been only 1, Brock and thats because he tried to ambush Gorge over the whole Malcolms broken spine deal but thats really the only time I know of that explains the dangers of the tournament. The impression the game gives is that people never actually die or get injured, obviously UT2004 expanded on that with the injured bots but none of that is canon anymore and the Necris wear about 3mm of armour which for a rocket explosion or a flak shell is about as good as a bare belly, maybe even worse since Gorge is buffed naturally.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Seems Gorge has grown bigger since the last time I checked him against the Necris Id say overall he's bout 5% bigger but side by side he is pretty obviously larger and should still fit cleanly in the same hitbox so Im not sure I could be changing it yet. I can use FFDs to modify proportions abit later
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-30-2016, 01:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    I'm working on it.
    So,what do think?
    I tried to get this Juggernaut vibe without exaggerating too much the armour.
    This direction seems interesting, can you developp it further ? I would like to see more. Also I definitely believes Gorge should be covered at 90% of armor, like only the head and maybe hands should be visible. Showing your tummy in a place of constant fighting isn't a smart idea. Well, Gorge isn't especially smart, but as I said earlier, he's cunning and know instinctively what would kill us.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm working on it.
    So,what do think?
    I tried to get this Juggernaut vibe without exaggerating too much the armour.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	paperEdit01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	347911

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There hasnt really been any game I can think of that actually attempted a middleground and I always think of it like Mc Donalds vs Subway, people go to maccas cuz they dont want to choose every ingredient for their order, they are quite happy to choose a 1-6 or a happy meal. I just hear contradictions like "the customer is always right" vs "the customer doesnt know what they want" so my train of thought was always that the customer doesnt know what they want until you sell it to them and I think in this day and age of modern marketing shows how powerful a really good pull sell can be vs trying to push a hard sell.

My main reason for being subtle though is so I can have more creative freedom artistically without it effecting gameplay, I would gladly give up a small amount of balance myself for art but not many will and my suggestion meets both requirements.

In regards to AI, I always strive to design systems that make more human like interactions rather than artificial ones, the idea is actually to design intelligence and leave out the artificial bit because thats a misnomer and might even lead you into creating systems that cheat, like the aimbots we have now in UT which have no real intelligence. One thing Im big on is caching personas from the artificial players to make them more truly unique even amongst bots which look identical.

See one thing people miss when you play DM is that the skins that make you unique, the hats etc, can make you a target, if people know the boxhead guy is top spot they will naturally form a tribe to attack the stronger player, even if there was no leader hat. If they have a shield its a similar thing but when you force model its almost like camouflage and I dunno if thats tactically fair, anyways humans are pretty cluey and Im not sure where I stand on forcemodel anymore, there was a time when I was deadset against it but for a professional level FFA DM (not that Ive heard of that) I can see why people would want players to all look the same because if you know I always play as Taye and no one else does and Im the favourite it might be in everyones best interest to lock me down, which is not a bad strategy but whether its should be a legal strategy is another thing.

Any mutator thats not linked to the core game even indirectly is going to have issues BPs or not, its far easier for Epic to distribute updated packages/dlls than for us to do it, until that changes the amount of extra work for mods is just stupidly more than it should be. Thats mainly why I stopped UT Fourever, because I dont have the time to repackage everything every time Epic sneezes, let alone host the downloads, make the posts etc etc, Id need a small team just for releases when in all honesty with UE4 proper that small team could be blasting away at the core completely independent from any pace Epic might set. Thats why Im for Epic letting modders in closer so we can contribute addons to the core far more efficiently so Epic arnt wasting their time coding small insignifcant **** like Bighead mutator.

Originally posted by rapfamily4 View Post
    [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION]

What are you going to do for the knees?
    Knee pads mostly, maybe shinguards but thats more of the larger armour atm which I have hidden. Im not sure if its worth adding details there or not since you kinda end up with these wtf details like knives and pouches which make no sense in the realm of UT. I was considering some cargo pockets perhaps but even Goobas concept is pretty thin there with only those wires and weird looking boxes providing minor details. The feet need a fair bit of work like the center chest so those are my focus for this weekend if I can do it
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-29-2016, 09:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION]

What are you going to do for the knees?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well I wasn't 100% sure the hitboxes in UT2k3/2k4 were all the same. I'm far from knowing everything on how it works behind the scene.

For the stats thing, it's probably better to fully play on it or don't do it at all, as it seems few accept any middle ground. So ever do full classes or no classes at all, or people will either : ask to push it further if they're on the first side, or just forcemodel (as you pointed) if they're on the second side.
    Honestly I don't know what would be the best. All I want is just that characters are truly unique and distinctive, that you feel they're are all something awesome, with a background, and not just some kind of copy-paste with recolors.

And I wouldn't say no to a return of the "species statistics" mutator.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X