Jakob (Thundercrash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jakob (Thundercrash)

Since the initial concept for this particular character was so uninspired, i've decided to make a variation much closer to the original character:

I think he has everything required: Medium-sized rastas, sunglasses, barcode tattoo on the forehead...

Yea, this is true jacob!

I think that, if new Jacob have a dreads, managed to avoid most of many perturbations.

Seriously, why two new-noname-characters have dreads, and famous Jacob - not. It's just weird. It looks like an wicked joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Skaary View Post
      Yea, this is true jacob!

I think that, if new Jacob have a dreads, managed to avoid most of many perturbations.

Seriously, why two new-noname-characters have dreads, and famous Jacob - not. It's just weird. It looks like an wicked joke.

Ghengis and his brother Taye are part of the Thundercrash team in UT99. And they're actually described as brothers there. Pretty sure Gooba pays a lot of attention to this stuff, I don't think it's coincidental that the two characters that are related are actually the most similar in appearance.

In my eyes, all of the human characters are disposable and interchangeable. I'm in favor of bringing back far fewer people instead of getting myopically focused on particular bot identities. The Unreal universe has tens/hundreds/thousands (?) of populated worlds, probably tens of trillions of people overall. The idea that only the same 30-60 people can compete is just mind-boggling.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Don't forget to bare his midriff. :P

@Wail
        Well it's not like anyone ever said that only these people compete but older players are familiar with the names and the associated characters and personally I think it's cool to have them return.
        From a more technical standpoint they probably just reused the same names since UT because it was an easy solution to naming the bots.
        Current Projects
        Custom Thunder Crash Skins - WIP/Download
        Custom Necris Skin - Alanna - WIP

Comment

As far as i know, the twin brothers were Othello and Taye, in UT2k4.

Taye didn't appear in UT99 iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
            Ghengis and his brother Taye are part of the Thundercrash team in UT99. And they're actually described as brothers there. Pretty sure Gooba pays a lot of attention to this stuff, I don't think it's coincidental that the two characters that are related are actually the most similar in appearance.
            So, why not make them bald-brothers. And Jacob make recognizable.

Why in game should not be recognizable element? Especially from UT2004. Than this is game so bad? Why is any element Ut2004 so fiercely are ignoring?

Comment

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
              As far as i know, the twin brothers were Othello and Taye, in UT2k4.

Taye didn't appear in UT99 iirc.
              Yeah, you might be right, I could be confused and I don't have access to those files here at the moment.

Originally posted by Skaary View Post
              So, why not make them bald-brothers. And Jacob make recognizable.

Why in game should not be recognizable element? Especially from UT2004. Than this is game so bad? Why is any element Ut2004 so fiercely are ignoring?

I don't disagree with it, in fact I think that's the right way to go when it comes to bringing anyone back.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Whats in a name too, I doubt everyone named Jakob has dreads. I mean its sweet you took the time to do this concept and Id love to see customization options so people can create these characters but I agree with Wail here, so many planets and competitors do we really need to put a name and bio to them all? Obviously for a Bot Roster it makes things interesting especially if you dont select that character setup specifically for yourself. I think thats mostly what the concepts were trying to portray was different options not exact all the exact characters how they will be ingame, its just easier to name them than say, the guy with a camcorder on his face lol
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Awesome work hi-ban! I really like how this bridges the gab between the current art direction and the 2k4. Maybe its just personal preference, I feel like this is the strongest Thundercrash concept to date. Somehow it doesn't have the overbearing military vibe that I've seen from all the others. Maybe its the glasses? The gold trim on the armor? I dunno... but i like it

I'm hoping other community members take your lead and iterate on Gooba's concepts the way you've done here. A few tweaks, changes, and the addition of a little color...and suddenly you have a concept that falls closer in line with people's expectations of UT while also maintaining Epic's vision for the artstyle. Great work IMO!

Originally posted by Slaught View Post
                  Well it's not like anyone ever said that only these people compete but older players are familiar with the names and the associated characters and personally I think it's cool to have them return.
                  Exactly my thoughts. A little fan service isn't a bad thing

Comment

I added the pants from the camcorder guy.

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/pSeHaSX.jpg[/screenshot]

Comment

Love it. Built it! Make it happen!
                      Jim Brown
                      @EntropicDev
                      Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                        I second that!
                        > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                        > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                        > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                          https://flic.kr/p/w693nU
                          They have almost similar hair and body types, but Ghengis looks half asian while his bro looks like he's from jamaica...

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                            Unfortunately, i lack the modelling skills to do that.

Comment

I also don't know how to model things. Are there tutorials that a layman could learn from? I'd like to work with the UT team and make this game, but I don't know where to start.
                              "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Working...
                              X