Jakob (Thundercrash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hi-ban View Post
    I added the pants from the camcorder guy.

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/pSeHaSX.jpg[/screenshot]
    IMO this is a perfect Jakob look, at least everything besides the armor which is discusseable in terms of design/styling in what direction it should go, if you compare to UT2k4 Thundercrash armor it looks quite a lot "scaled-down", more generic kinda, less identity. But yea Jakob itself looks fine. At least UT2k4 had that huge bird plate on the chest which added character to the armor for example, I get the feeling the armor might have room for improvements to make it lesser generic.
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 08-20-2015, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
      IMO this is a perfect Jakob look, at least everything besides the armor which is discusseable in terms of design/styling in what direction it should go, if you compare to UT2k4 Thundercrash armor it looks quite a lot "scaled-down", more generic kinda, less identity. But yea Jakob itself looks fine. At least UT2k4 had that huge bird plate on the chest which added character to the armor for example, I get the feeling the armor might have room for improvements to make it lesser generic.
      Slap an Eagle logo mesh on there and you're good.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Fantastic. I was going to redraw this one like this if someone else didn't get there.

So instead, here's a VERY EARLY sculpt. I think I've all the major forms in. Working from this concept and a real person I found with a similar face.

Looks like I'll need to pull in the jawline at the back a bit and expand the upper lip again.
        This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Unfortunately, i lack the modelling skills to do that.
          You might not even need modelling skills if Epic is doing all the parts you need for their thundercrash set. At worst you might have to make a hairdo and a texture
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Did some more sculpting on this the other day.
            Still rather unrefined overall, but he's coming along.
            This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Armor in the second shot is from the current in game low poly model. Taye(?)'s existing neck is significantly thicker, so its not an exact fit.

Comment

Maybe the nose looks a bit small, but overall that's a great start!

I guess the small tweaks will be done at the end.

Comment

nah, I should get the nose and stuff right as early on as possible. I'm pulling some features from a real person with similar, but not identical features. So the nose was more from the photo ref than from the concept piece above. I'll adjust that.

Looks like you based the face on Gooba's version of Taye. I'll ask him if he's willing to whip up some higher res reference material for the character faces.

Comment

i mixed Taye's face with this one:

Comment

I'm by no means an expert, so take what I say as you will, but it seems the forehead-to-face ratio is way too high on the recent sculpt. His face below the brow needs to be scaled upwards.

Comment

Thanks for the reference pic, Hi-Ban, and the crits KazeoHin.
                      Also, Gooba gave me some pointers and a quick paintover via PM, so thanks for that too.
                      Once I came back to this the tinyface syndrome was obvious. I think the base mesh I worked from was off at the start. Lesson learned for that.

I've made some good progress, but I keep feeling like something is off and I just can't place it.
                      I know the way the eyelids meet the eyebrow area could use some work, the ears are really bloby, and I've barely even touched the neck, but take a look and see if anything else jumps out at you.
                      This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Hey Vailias, long time no see!
                        Good to see you're back to modding UT.

Nice work!
                        The overall forms look solid from what I can see but It's a little difficult to tell with the matte material, I'd suggest turning up the specularity to easier identify the shapes while sculpting.
                        I think what stands out to me most is that you're missing sharp folds and creases and general medium detail in the face.

As an example mostly the eyes, brows and nose:

This is from my reference/inspiration folder, can't identify the artist anymore unfortunately.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Slaught; 09-07-2015, 07:39 AM. Reason: resized image
                        Current Projects
                        Custom Thunder Crash Skins - WIP/Download
                        Custom Necris Skin - Alanna - WIP

Comment

Awesome, you've really ironed out the Uatu look this guy had before.
                          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Wow, that is a big improvement!
                            The only crits i have are:
                            -He looks a bit too big, looks a bit too much like Dwayne Johnson. I'd make the chin a bit smaller, and adjust the neck so he doesn't look like he took steroids. But not too much, just a little.
                            -And the nose, i'd try a couple variants. maybe a bit longer, with the tip slightly smaller? maybe not so wide?

Anyway, before anything of the above, you should stick some sunglasses and hair into him, so we can get a proper feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                              Awesome, you've really ironed out the Uatu look this guy had before.
                              LOL! He really was all forehead in the initial sculpt. Not using that base skullhead mesh from now on!

Originally posted by Slaught View Post
                              Hey Vailias, long time no see!
                              Good to see you're back to modding UT.

Nice work!
                              The overall forms look solid from what I can see but It's a little difficult to tell with the matte material, I'd suggest turning up the specularity to easier identify the shapes while sculpting.
                              I think what stands out to me most is that you're missing sharp folds and creases and general medium detail in the face.
                              Cheers man! I've been here since the forums opened. Glad to see you're here too. You always brought quality work to the Custom Character Scene.

Thanks for the critique. That medium detailing is definitely the next step, but I kept having some nagging feeling that something was wrong on the large scale, so I didn't want to invest too much time there if I'd wind up tearing it down due to oversight.
                              The eye areas are still a bit of a challenge for me. A lot of small overlapping forms.

Wow, that is a big improvement!
                              The only crits i have are:
                              -He looks a bit too big, looks a bit too much like Dwayne Johnson. I'd make the chin a bit smaller, and adjust the neck so he doesn't look like he took steroids. But not too much, just a little.
                              -And the nose, i'd try a couple variants. maybe a bit longer, with the tip slightly smaller? maybe not so wide?

Anyway, before anything of the above, you should stick some sunglasses and hair into him, so we can get a proper feeling.
                              Thanks Hi-Ban!

The shoulders are quite stocky. They're to match the current in game model and the suit he's in. If/when I get to a revised body I can address the neck proportions. A bit less muscular neck and shoulders would be a good change.

Current WIP:

Getting the trademark accessories on was a good idea. I adjusted the ear up and made it a bit larger, and made some small tweaks to the nose tip and chin.
                              The dreads are obviously placeholders but hopefully should give the general idea of the hair.
                              I also manged to export the existing ThunderCrash high poly from zbrush (yay for free trials) so there's a more detailed body in the shot.
                              I think I need to widen the face at the cheekbones. The facial frame there has some different angles from the concept, and/or the face is too long from top to bottom. Will get back to that next time I get a chance to work on this.
                              This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

Nice improvement! Each iteration this is getting better and better!

Comment

Working...
                                X