Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmagica View Post
    Your work is amazing KazeoHin, the Nali Cow turned out perfect. Your Titan doesn't resonate with me personally. The Unreal 1 Titan had a bit of a dumb fish/eel look to it that made it appear super strong but kind of stupid/slow. Yours looks too agile to me, almost like a supersized UT3 Krall. My preference would be to move a away from the crocodile look and go more towards fish. Less springy muscles, more mass, if that makes sense.
    Thanks for the feedback! I kind-of agree with you on the side of there being some big differences in concept between the Unreal Titan and my UT Titan. I do want the Titan to come across as a big, dumb monster, but I also wanted to increase the 'fear' factor in the presence of the titan. Hopefully the final in-game model will help show what I'm imagining. There is still plenty of time left for changes: and your feedback will definitely be taken on-board, but some of the alterations from the original are very intentional.

Meanwhile:

Does anyone know of any good retopolgy programs besides Topogun? Topogun keeps giving me license issues and I don't want to pay for another license to a program I've already paid for. I've tried the retopology flow in Maya LT, but it lacks symetry and it has real issues with visibility. Zbrush has visibility issues as well but it also lacks any advanced polygon manipulation. Topogun is almost perfect but damned if it isn't giving me no end of trouble.

Comment

While I wait for Topogun Support to get back to me regarding the license issues I decided to remake an iconic scene from Unraeal that has something to do with the project!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

I'll try to guess it, but I might be totally wrong...
        Since we're on the topic of the Titan, that the place looks like an arena... I would bet it is a recreation of Dark arena, where you encounter the first Titan ?
        (Your pic would make a beautiful wallpaper... I just find the bright green on Taye's armor a little off, but that's a personnal taste).

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
          While I wait for Topogun Support to get back to me regarding the license issues I decided to remake an iconic scene from Unraeal that has something to do with the project!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
          Awesome! Great mood there. Really get the feeling of tension and standing up in the face of the unknown.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
            I'll try to guess it, but I might be totally wrong...
            Since we're on the topic of the Titan, that the place looks like an arena... I would bet it is a recreation of Dark arena, where you encounter the first Titan ?
            (Your pic would make a beautiful wallpaper... I just find the bright green on Taye's armor a little off, but that's a personnal taste).
            What's funny is that he was just thrown into the map for a scale reference, but the particular pose he was in was perfect for a mysterious and epic screenshot. If you remove him, the shot looses a TON of its eye-guidance.

Also: you are correct: this is my take on the Dark Arena. This is also sort of a proof-of-concept for how I think the Unreal Remake should have approached the development process: using UT assets and gameplay recreating the 'experience' of the adventure, not a 1-1 re skin.
            Last edited by KazeoHin-TechAE; 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

What's funny is that he was just thrown into the map for a scale reference, but the particular pose he was in was perfect for a mysterious and epic screenshot. If you remove him, the shot looses a TON of its eye-guidance.

Also: you are correct: this is my take on the Dark Arena. This is also sort of a proof-of-concept for how I think the Unreal Remake should have approached the development process: using UT assets and gameplay recreating the 'experience' of the adventure, not a 1-1 re skin.
              I find the pose perfect, it's just the color green that bug me out, I find it to be too much in contrast with the overall scene. But I want you to keep Taye here.

I like it a lot, but it might lack some height. Without a pure recreation, I think you reduced too much the height of the walls, taking away part of the "wow" and "ho **** !" factor. In Unreal you felt like you entered a dark Coliseum, built especially for all kinds of gladiators and monsters. Here I feel a little more like you enter a kind of pit fight, more impressive then that of course, but not the scale of gladiator arena.
              Now maybe the walls are giants but I can't do an accurate scale comparison beetwen the character and the arena.

Just a personnal thought on this.

Comment

I find the pose perfect, it's just the color green that bug me out, I find it to be too much in contrast with the overall scene. But I want you to keep Taye here.

I like it a lot, but it might lack some height. Without a pure recreation, I think you reduced too much the height of the walls, taking away part of the "wow" and "ho **** !" factor. In Unreal you felt like you entered a dark Coliseum, built especially for all kinds of gladiators and monsters. Here I feel a little more like you enter a kind of pit fight, more impressive then that of course, but not the scale of gladiator arena.
                Now maybe the walls are giants but I can't do an accurate scale comparison beetwen the character and the arena.

Just a personnal thought on this.

Agreed 100%! The walls definitely seem quite shallow, They are MASSIVE really (about 3.5 Tayes tall to the first tier), but there is little to compare against in that screen. If/When Invasion kicks off, I may revisit this scene as a full-fledged Invasion-specific map. For now its just a 'why not' project.

Edit: Screenshot for my own future reference!

Last edited by KazeoHin-TechAE; 01-11-2016, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Agreed 100%! The walls definitely seem quite shallow, They are MASSIVE really (about 3.5 Tayes tall to the first tier), but there is little to compare against in that screen. If/When Invasion kicks off, I may revisit this scene as a full-fledged Invasion-specific map. For now its just a 'why not' project.
                  Alright, it is good to know ! I really hope the invasion mode will see the light, I got good times on this mode. And you did an amazing job with the models so far. I encourage you fully !
                  Could you please make a quick side by side comparison beetwen what you created so far ? I would appreciate to see the scale of the Titan and Nali Cow compared to Taye.

Comment

Alright, it is good to know ! I really hope the invasion mode will see the light, I got good times on this mode. And you did an amazing job with the models so far. I encourage you fully !
                    Could you please make a quick side by side comparison beetwen what you created so far ? I would appreciate to see the scale of the Titan and Nali Cow compared to Taye.
                    I might be able to do that later on, at the moment I only have the Nali Cow in game, the Titan is still a highres mesh... (c'mon Topogun support!). The cow comes up roughly to Taye's chest, similar in size to an Earth Cow. This is all adjustable, though. The Titan I want to be about 7 Tayes tall, and the Stone Titan will be about 20% larger.

Comment

I can call this Cow 'cooked'!

Beautiful work! So when do you work on the severed limbs and body parts? I can't wait to "cook" it with my rocket launcher!

Comment

The stone Titan is a rare variant of the titan in Unreal, which possessed greater resistance.
                        ...and then there's the Swamp Titan...
                        Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by EvilGrins View Post
                          ...and then there's the Swamp Titan...
                          #OhCrap
                          The new UT is coming along nicely...
                          Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                            #OhCrap

Comment

but I also wanted to increase the 'fear' factor in the presence of the titan.
                              I can understand that intention. However, there are many different ways to induce fear, not just by "big and ferocious". But then, maybe that's me, I'm more into subtlety, moment of surprise and such things.
                              My UT Soundtrack contributions: Out of Reach - Written in Black - Disintegrating Matter

Comment

Originally posted by jmagica View Post
                                I can understand that intention. However, there are many different ways to induce fear, not just by "big and ferocious". But then, maybe that's me, I'm more into subtlety, moment of surprise and such things.
                                Well, if it was truly started from scratch, you can found many different "fear factors". But here is a remake of an already pre-established concept. And the original Titan played mostly on the "big, strong and ferocious" factor, plus the staging (which will be worked later on I suppose, once the work on the animation and levels start).

Comment

Working...
                                X