Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Universe Monsters! Lets make some art together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was about to propose the weapon specific behaviour too, liking this train of thought a lot.
    If regular UTbots are able to react appropriately to your weapon of choice, I think it should be possible to take them as an example. Of course, for an invasion gametype, such a level of intelligence would probably be overkill as that is more about killing hordes of monsters than fighting one for a long time, but I don't see why that shouldn't be managable through difficulty levels and gametypes such as Monsterhunt and a possible single player gametype would benefit from this a lot.

If anyone recalls the blob enemy (which seemed to be some kind of space parasite), I always considered that one to be somewhat spooky because it was the strangest of all beings in the original Unreal game and gave you no feedback to damage dealt to it which made it very unpredictable. Not to menton its ceiling- and wall-...ehm... blobbing abilities. One could take that one to the next level as well. Why not make it dividable if you use weapons like the Flak Cannon on it? Or blow it up with a tri-rox shot and watch the small, evil fragments of blobbies rain on you and attacking you before re-connecting themselves. It would be your own harm. Weapons like the Shock Rifle or the Link Gun on the other hand would be what actually does the real damage to them (I think in the original Unreal, the ASMD was the only truly effective weapon against them anyway). Bio Rifle blobs on the other hand could be just absorbed, dealing little damage to it and slowing it down for a second.
    Could make for a great boss type enemy.
    Last edited by Sly.; 08-30-2015, 11:00 PM.
    S l y .

Comment

Awesome stuff here! Would love to help model some lil critters after I get the core weapon set done. Really dig the old Ant! concepts from U2. Anything that is super weird and brings back that crazy Unreal vibe.
      Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
      Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
      Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

Glad to see you're onboard with the idea, YemYam! I would love to see what crazy monsters an awesome artist like yourself can bring to life!

I worked a bit more on the Unreal Titan: Made it a bit more reptilian looking, played with the proportions a bit.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Also, from before: I think my Skarj update got lost in all the other pics: I'll repost shamelessly. I'm going to work on the face a lot more, make it more in line with the Epic concepts.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

I say for the Skaarj Warriors just base them off of the Unreal 2 Skaarj, and I'm not really digging that Reptilian Titan, just go with an apeish design like it was in Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterman View Post
            I say for the Skaarj Warriors just base them off of the Unreal 2 Skaarj, and I'm not really digging that Reptilian Titan, just go with an apeish design like it was in Unreal.
            The Titan always looked more like a Stegosaurus and a Megatherium had sex. The U2 Skaarj looked a bit too much like gorillas, but I will say this Skaarj looks a bit too demonic for my tastes and they don't look insect-like enough (neither did the U2 ones).

Comment

Well if they looked too much like gorillas then simply slim them down a bit, those skaarjs fit the Warrior Class perfectly and just need to thin them out some instead of making them bulky, Alpha Skaarj would be the Scout and the Slimmer U2 Skaarjs would fill in for the rest.

Comment

I could extrapolate that the Titans evolved from reptilian gliding creatures. The stature and long forelimbs resemble the walking posture of pterosaurs.

After hundreds of millions of years without flight, the creatures slowly evolved immense strength and size for digging through rocky ground in search for nutrient-dense subterranean prey like gasbags or tentacles.

Or 'dey just bigass mofos who throw rocks'n'sh**

Comment

Out of curiosity, how big is the Titan going to be compared to the player? I think in UT2004, when I added the Titan model to Invasion, it 'looked' not very large (it was at most as tall as the average corridor ceiling). There were DM map size constraints though as well, but I still think the Titan should be really huge, at least 8m tall or more. Its just that it wont be able to navigate everywhere.
                  Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

I think titans, queens, and warlords (aka boss monsters) will require special conditions to spawn, as they all need to be quite large. Large, open DM and CTF maps will be required, or special maps will need to be made for invasion: not a bad idea as invasion maps don't require precise weapon balance and duelling attributes. Essentially 'Invasion' as a gametype will be UT's horde mode: a great way to play online cooperatively, instead of adversarially.

My personal opinion is that the standard Titan should be ~ 6m tall and the stone titan should be noticeably larger.

Comment

In the original Invasion (w/ Satore) there was no way to designate specific areas for larger spawns. Although I'd like the latest incarnation of Invasion to work with any map, I do want to support right off the bat a way to designate specific areas for spawning so that the entire mode can be more structured and provide a better difficulty & experience progression.
                      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                        In the original Invasion (w/ Satore) there was no way to designate specific areas for larger spawns. Although I'd like the latest incarnation of Invasion to work with any map, I do want to support right off the bat a way to designate specific areas for spawning so that the entire mode can be more structured and provide a better difficulty & experience progression.
                        I think the classic idea of invasion needs to be a thing for sure: any map, DM, CTF, whatever. But I think giving designers a set of tools to design maps specifically for Invasion would not go unused. I don't think invasion would e the same without the boss monsters, having the ability to designate an area or scripted event around the Warlord spawning (for example) would be awesome.

Comment

I think we will definitely want to have custom maps with wide open areas for the best experience. There were a few for UT2004 that worked really well. One was DM-Tarsonis. It wasn't a very well polished map but it was fantastic for Invasion. It was a huge outdoor map with mountainous areas. It was always a huge adrenaline rush to try to get to the ion painter on a mountaintop during the Warlord wave with your team trying to protect you.
                          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Previously it was just wave after wave of monsters, I don't recall the stock Invasion in UT2004 having actual boss type stuff. However, by implementing scripted boss events, it would give the gametype a lot more depth and some sort of progression. It's a great opportunity to attract new players who really enjoy cooperative gameplay, who will then also inevitably explore other gametypes thereafter.

These size comparisons might be useful for reference:
                            Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Maybe a progression system of how many player are in the match to auto balance the amount of monsters like an algorithm, although the monsters appear in waves, perhaps the difficulty dictates which more powerful monster so spawn more often or just in general more monsters, the gamemode can scan the map and allocate what type of monsters can spawn in it depending of the space and size of the map.

Comment

Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post
                                Previously it was just wave after wave of monsters, I don't recall the stock Invasion in UT2004 having actual boss type stuff. However, by implementing scripted boss events, it would give the gametype a lot more depth and some sort of progression. It's a great opportunity to attract new players who really enjoy cooperative gameplay, who will then also inevitably explore other gametypes thereafter.

These size comparisons might be useful for reference:
                                JEEBUS that titan is huge. I may have to take some artistic liberties and make a few different sizes to see which one makes the most sense.

Wait, what is that massive gasbag!? I don't remember that...

Comment

Working...
                                X